Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #61
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I interpreted your answer on a 10" being insufficient size as not meeting your needs in the pulpit, i.e. running a presentation while having your notes visible in a different window. Those needs would differ from a student who might want to jot down some notes on top of a presentation made available at the lecture. Hence, the thought that an 8" may be sufficient for a student.
My 'needs in the pulpit'???
You make this job sound much more glamorous than it is. No pulpit here.

Jokes aside, no, I was simply thinking of my own reading. Every semester I end up reading some new textbook - either because I am preparing for a new class, or because I switch textbooks. I think that resembles the type of reading students do.

You are correct, presenting has different requirements. And large screens are a must, because you need to be able to find info at a glance. Frankly, I don't use notes - but I know many instructors do.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ha a detailed review, video and all:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/sams...-35618822.html

Quote:
The good: The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is comfortable to hold and has the best-looking small tablet screen yet. Writing with the S Pen feels natural and is preferred over typing on a tablet screen. Storage can be expanded via microSD, and the Watch On feature has potential as a universal remote/video content hub.
The bad: The $399 price is a lot for a small tablet, no matter its features. It's not as thin or as light as the iPad Mini, and some people won't appreciate the highly saturated look of the OS. Also, its face buttons sometimes get in the way and there are occasional performance hangs.

The bottom line: The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is a stunning tablet with a truly useful stylus, but it's not worth $400 unless you're an artist or prefer pen input.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-09-2013 at 11:04 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #63
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
That probably sums it up fairly accurately. Not that I have tried one, but using the original Note and the Note 10.1 I think I can see their point.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #64
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The Verge gave it a 7.6 out of 10.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/420...ote-8-0-review
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #65
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It's too expensive at $400, the Nexus 7 at half the price is a much better proposition; the sPen and SD card slot are not worth $200. And in a couple of months we're likely to have the N7 replacement which is likely to offer better specs at the same price point as the current N7 model.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #66
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's too expensive at $400, the Nexus 7 at half the price is a much better proposition; the sPen and SD card slot are not worth $200. And in a couple of months we're likely to have the N7 replacement which is likely to offer better specs at the same price point as the current N7 model.
In Europe we do get the benefit of an integrated phone hence 4G capabilities. Still not worth $400 though.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #67
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The IR Blaster that makes it into a tv remote, in combination with the sPen that lets me use it to whiteboard at work, makes this a serious contender for me.I can also use it as a phone over WiFi using google voice or the app from my cellular provider.

I have the Note 2 and love it. I suppose that makes me more interested in this tablet--even at $400.

Last edited by taming; 04-10-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #68
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The 16GB WiFi version are now selling on U.S Amazon for $400.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...dp/B00BQH8UEY/

Remains to see how many they will sell at that price.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #69
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

At $279 it would go like hot cakes, at $400 it is dead in its tracks.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #70
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess they would have to sell a lot less devices to break even at $400 and if it doesn't sell they can always lower the price. This seems like a risky game to play, especially if they want to maintain the goodwill of the consumers.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #71
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

To me it is such a student optimized device that I think they would sell it a student optimized price, but perhaps that is in the works, come August 1st they will reduce it by 30% or so?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #72
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I guess they would have to sell a lot less devices to break even at $400 and if it doesn't sell they can always lower the price. This seems like a risky game to play, especially if they want to maintain the goodwill of the consumers.
Actually a far more logical way to interpret this price is that this is a device with normal margins that they expect from hardware, unlike a kindle fire or nexus 7 where the devices are being sold at cost for other reasons and due to some out of the ordinary features Samsung think that there will be a market for this device at the chosen price.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #73
thinkpad
David

I think that you're right about Samsung not beeing able to compete
on price with Google and Amazon but they've still priced it higher
than the iPad mini. In every review I've read they give a big minus
for the price. Some reviewers even suggests to pick up another
device if you can live without the pen. So in this case Samsung bets
on people's will to pay a premium price to get the pen.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-15-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #74
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
If Samsung announced that the Note 8 was in the $200 range, this would be an instant buy for me.

But in the $400 range it almost cost as much the Samsung Note 10.1 ($450).

I will hold off getting a Note 8 until Samsung reduce the price.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #75
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Actually a far more logical way to interpret this price is that this is a device with normal margins that they expect from hardware, unlike a kindle fire or nexus 7 where the devices are being sold at cost for other reasons and due to some out of the ordinary features Samsung think that there will be a market for this device at the chosen price.
Perhaps the pricing is less extreme in the US, but in the UK the 16GB WiFi Samsung Note 8 costs £339, compared to the 16GB WiFi iPad Mini at £269.
When your product makes one of Apple's products look cheap, there is something wrong.
The Note 8 has definite advantages (primarily the well integrated stylus and SD slot) that mean for some people it would be worth the premium, but it is not going to be a mass-market success at that price. Not when the Nexus 7 16GB WiFi model is £159.
Many people will buy the Nexus, as a quality Android tablet at a great price. Many people will buy the iPad Mini, because they want access to the iOS ecosystem. I don't think many people will buy the Note 8.

Last edited by murraypaul; 04-14-2013 at 04:44 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote