Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
N00ter
N00ter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Not Recognizing My Homemade Table of Contents

I have created an e-book (a rather elaborate one). It had about 300+ footnotes and links to each of them throughout the body of the text. In addition, the book has two tables of contents - one which is a guide to the main book, the other which is a guide to the different footnotes. As I said, it's a complicated e-book.

Anyway, I am basically finished formatting and creating hyperlinks. The book is all but finished. My only problem is, Calibre's automatic table of contents creator generates a very screwed up table of contents (because of all the crazy links as I mentioned above). As such, I disabled its automatic table of contents creation. As a result, however, when I test the book in my Kindle, it comes up with no recognized Table of Contents. The TOC which I created is there, of course, but if you click "Menu", "Go To", the "Table of Contents" button is greyed out and not an option.

So my question is, is there a line of code which I can insert so that the Kindle will mark off a particular body of text as being the Table of Contents?

Anybody who can answer this for me will be my new best friend.
N00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The TOC in the GoTo menu is set by the reference in the Guide section of the OPF file.

For TOC, Start, or Cover, there should be entries like this:

<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="filename1.html"></reference>
<reference type="start" title="Beginning" href="filename2.html"></reference>
<reference type="cover-page" title="Cover" href="filename3.html"></reference>
</guide>

You can use anchor references as well but be aware that, as of this writing, Calibre has a problem with anchors for TOC (anchors are fine for cover or start). Mobipocket Creator is fine with anchors in all cases.

If you ask Calibre for a TOC and it doesn't find a proper reference in the Guide (or one it's capable of using) then it makes its own at the back (or the front if set that way).

If you need to separate your TOC into its own file, remember to add a line for it in the Manifest and Spine sections.

Stay away from special characters in the filenames as some can throw Calibre off.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle, toc detection