Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Where is the light sensor on the iPhone 4?

I've discovered that the leather case I have for my iPhone 4 obviously covers up the light sensor since, when it's in the case, the screen is on minimum brightness. Does anyone have a picture showing where the light sensor is, so that I can punch a hole in the case in the correct place?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I googled this ... Any use ?

http://www.tested.com/news/how-iphon...low-light/396/
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mmm perhaps not, that relates to the camera - sorry ....
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
GeoffC

Camouflaged behind the black glass where you can't see them except with a bright flashlight are two more sensors: a proximity sensor that shuts off the screen illumination and touch sensitivity when the phone is against your head (it works only in the Phone application), and an ambient-light sensor that brightens the display when you're in sunlight and dims it in darker places.

Apple says that it experimented with having the light sensor active all the time, but it was weird to have the screen get brighter and darker all the time. So the sensor now samples the ambient light, and adjusts the brightness; it does this only once--each time you unlock the phone after waking it.

You can use that tip to your advantage. By covering up the sensor (just above the earpiece) as you unlock the phone, you force it to a low-power, dim screen-brightness setting (because the phone believes that it's in a dark room). Or by holding it up to a light as you wake it, you get full brightness. In both cases, you've saved all the taps and navigation it would have taken you to find the manual brightness slider in Settings.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
GeoffC

probably not correct ... ?

Looks like you're going to have to try and work it out by covering parts of the case and seeing if there is any reaction .....
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Camouflaged behind the black glass where you can't see them except with a bright flashlight are two more sensors: a proximity sensor that shuts off the screen illumination and touch sensitivity when the phone is against your head (it works only in the Phone application), and an ambient-light sensor that brightens the display when you're in sunlight and dims it in darker places.
Yes, it's that ambient light sensor that I'm referring to. My problem is that I don't know where it is .
Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting because the case I use for my old 3G covered the sensor. I got the leather case for an insane low price, and I think that was part of the reason.... a design flaw.... anyway, I cut a little hole in the leather, and it's been great for almost 2 years now.

The sensor is not visible on the 3G ether. I discovered it by calling a number and putting my finger around on the screen... on mine the sensor is just to the left of the "speaker" at the top, where you put your ear....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it's that ambient light sensor that I'm referring to. My problem is that I don't know where it is .
On the 3GS, the proximity sensor and light sensor were both right above the speaker on the top. They seem to be in roughly the same spot on the iPhone 4.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

So would you think it's around where I've put the red blob on the attached picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone4.jpg
Views:	3129
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	54490  
Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Roughly, yes... the proximity sensor is there, and the ambient light sensor is usually right next to it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Before cutting your case I highly recommend testing as I did to be 100% sure of the location.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Look at the pictures of the white iPhone, the sensor appears silver. It's about half the width of the earpiece, centered in the space above the earpiece. Under bright light, it appears dark red on the black iPhone.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for that. After reading your post I tried shining a torch onto my iPhone and you're right - it's visible through the glass as a narrow red horizontal strip, about 2/3 of the distance up between the earpiece and the top of the phone.

I'll cut a "notch" in the top of my case to expose it to the light - that should fix the problem.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
GeoffC

Eagerly waiting to see if all has been solved ....
Old 07-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's worked beautifully .