Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I should probably mention that, although I could travel and stay cheaper, there is a limit to which I (and my wife) want to save money, and we won't sacrifice too much comfort or trouble to get there. So, a bus is not gonna happen. Fleatrap motel? No way. If we can't afford reasonable travel and accommodation, we won't go.

Hmm... I've still got a few relatives up that way... maybe they have space...
I don't know what comfort you'd be giving up on a Chinatown bus. All the buses I've ridden on were fairly new and in good condition.

As for trouble, my travel time was actually less than if I had taken a flight or train.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I saw this version of Metropolis on TV a few weeks ago. There was a public showing somewhere in Europe (Berlin? Can't remember) and at the same time they showed it on the French-German TV channel Arte. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was surprisingly modern at times, and amusingly old-fashioned at others. Not worth $1000 or even $200 in my book, but that's just my personal taste of course. For some reason I have lost almost all interest in movies, though I loved them when I was younger.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't know what comfort you'd be giving up on a Chinatown bus. All the buses I've ridden on were fairly new and in good condition.

As for trouble, my travel time was actually less than if I had taken a flight or train.
A train can get you to NYC in 3-1/2 hours. Just sayin'.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
A train can get you to NYC in 3-1/2 hours. Just sayin'.
Ah. I'm on the other side of DC, so that does make a difference.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Ah. I'm on the other side of DC, so that does make a difference.

Is that how they make a town big enough for the both of you?

RSE

(Come on, get the joke making under control.....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I saw this version of Metropolis on TV a few weeks ago.
Which means that it has to be floating around the internet already. And looking around, yep, it is.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Is that how they make a town big enough for the both of you?
Well, any Texan should be able to understand that... and you don't know DC traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Which means that it has to be floating around the internet already. And looking around, yep, it is.
Yep, I've seen it, too. But a little web screen isn't quite the same as the Big Screen. Trust me, this movie is worth a Big Screen viewing (even though I do plan to get the DVD as well).
Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, I've seen it, too. But a little web screen isn't quite the same as the Big Screen. Trust me, this movie is worth a Big Screen viewing (even though I do plan to get the DVD as well).
I'm not sure what you mean by "a little web screen." If you are implying that something can be watched only in a window on a web page, that isn't remotely accurate.

Myself, I don't like the theater experience-- having to travel somewhere, pay obscene ticket prices, and be surrounded by talking/texting idiots. I haven't been in a movie theater since the early 1990s, and vastly prefer movies from the comfort of my own home.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "a little web screen." If you are implying that something can be watched only in a window on a web page, that isn't remotely accurate.
I just meant that a web feed wouldn't match a theatre screen in size (and, usually, resolution). I haven't actually looked at the ARTE video, but I know that most web-access videos don't have a resolution that matches DVD or film quality. You didn't mention whether anyone was showing the movie in HD quality on the web.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
but I know that most web-access videos don't have a resolution that matches DVD or film quality. You didn't mention whether anyone was showing the movie in HD quality on the web.
Yes, streaming video embedded on a web page tends to not be high resolution. Which is why very few people who watch movies accessed from the internet use something like that. "The web" is only one file transfer method on the internet. Most videos that people actually squire have DVD resolution as a very minimum.

(FWIW, the version I found is a 576x416 xviD that is 25 fps, runs for 2:27:04 and weighs in at 1.36 GB. The text screens are in German, though, and was surely a digital capture from the TV broadcast.)
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Back from New York!

Well, I hit the Big Apple last weekend, and saw Metropolis... and I'm glad I did.

The new footage added an additional depth to the film in multiple places. Although the Buenos Aires footage was taken from a 16mm print, and so was not in a condition equal to the rest of the restored film, it was all clear enough to recognize the images. An additional bonus: Some scenes were restored before the 2002 release, but because missing footage left the scenes so disjointed, they were actually not included in the 2002 release. The newly-discovered film allowed those scenes to be put back in, further filling out the movie.

Though I don't know how much is involved in the restoration process, I do know that the new footage was in better visual condition than much of the film and negatives that were eventually restored for the 2002 release. There is a difference between restoring from print and restoring from negative, but with enough work and the latest in computer equipment, the B.A. footage may be cleaned up further. So, hopefully, we will eventually be hearing about a fresh restoration attempt that has cleaned up the new footage even more, and a new release of a closer-to-pristine movie. (I'll still be buying the 2010 DVD when it is released in a few months.)

As for the rest of the trip: Darka and I stayed downtown, we hung and shopped in Times Square, we also saw a Broadway show (The Lion King--the opening scene alone was worth the price of admission!), we both rode the NYC subway for the first time, and we paid way too much for everything! But we loved every minute of it.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Brilliant ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #28
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
we hung and shopped in Times Square
Did you see recluse? He works there.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Did you see recluse? He works there.
'Fraid not... but it explains a lot. Anybody who works in Times Square is bound to be... well...

Anyway, we didn't see him. I wish I'd had time to get in touch with a few people we knew up that way, but it was a busy weekend for us, and visiting just wasn't in the cards. So we just ghosted in and out.

Y'know something else we're pretty sure we didn't see the whole time we were in NYC? A reader of any kind. Not even at MOMA (I forgot to mention we visited the Museum of Modern Art), where I would have expected to see one.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Y'know something else we're pretty sure we didn't see the whole time we were in NYC? A reader of any kind. Not even at MOMA (I forgot to mention we visited the Museum of Modern Art), where I would have expected to see one.
Well, I guess people go to the MOMA to see the art, not to read Did you enjoy it? The MOMA I mean.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expensive, metropolis, movie