Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #31
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
For me the free samples available at Smashwords and Kindle are plenty. But it seems that for some the internet is seen as a place to get free stuff.
I almost never download samples of books. All my books are things that sounded interesting, that I took a chance on, or freebies. And since I have so many backlogged books, if a book is offered for free I will download it and stick it on my reader for the future. However, any portion of a book would be ignored. I have enough stuff already that I don't need any snippets or partial books.

So, to capture my interest in your book that otherwise wouldn't have caught my attention, it would have to be free. It's not that I'm averse to paying for ebooks, because I'm not, I've bought well over 500. But to get me to invest the time in reading something that I'm not sure is my thing, I want the entire book. Perhaps just my quirk, but it's why a free book gets me to download it, but samples mean nothing to me.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #32
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
But to get me to invest the time in reading something that I'm not sure is my thing, I want the entire book. Perhaps just my quirk, but it's why a free book gets me to download it, but samples mean nothing to me.
Mmm... I'm similar. I HATE reading just part of a book. I'll download a free ebook, but rarely a sample. To me, finding an author I like is about the whole book - not just the writing style but the ability to end a book properly. So I'll read one book and put its author on my 'to buy' list for future books, rather than read half a book then buy it.

I should point out that I haven't actually bought ANY ebooks, yet. I'm waiting til my cash flow gets out of the negatives
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I almost never download samples of books. All my books are things that sounded interesting, that I took a chance on, or freebies. And since I have so many backlogged books, if a book is offered for free I will download it and stick it on my reader for the future. However, any portion of a book would be ignored. I have enough stuff already that I don't need any snippets or partial books.

So, to capture my interest in your book that otherwise wouldn't have caught my attention, it would have to be free. It's not that I'm averse to paying for ebooks, because I'm not, I've bought well over 500. But to get me to invest the time in reading something that I'm not sure is my thing, I want the entire book. Perhaps just my quirk, but it's why a free book gets me to download it, but samples mean nothing to me.

-Marcy
So many different kinds of shoppers online! I only download one at a time so there's rarely anything unread on my Kindle - guess I'm a clutter freak! lol
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #34
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Mmm... I'm similar. I HATE reading just part of a book. I'll download a free ebook, but rarely a sample. To me, finding an author I like is about the whole book - not just the writing style but the ability to end a book properly. So I'll read one book and put its author on my 'to buy' list for future books, rather than read half a book then buy it.

I should point out that I haven't actually bought ANY ebooks, yet. I'm waiting til my cash flow gets out of the negatives
I'll download several samples of the type of book I'm looking for (mystery, literary, whatever), then choose one and delete the samples.

I need to take more notice of all the freebies out there, especially classics that I'd like to read again!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #35
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
So many different kinds of shoppers online!
Definitely. I buy around 75% of my books for the next year at year end (for the sales), so most of the time I have a ton of unread material awaiting me. I can't stand to read one thing at a time either. I never know what I'll be in the mood to read at any given moment.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What would you consider too high for an indie author's subsequent books?
Given the discounts I get from Borders, I'd say $5 max. Above that is into the realm of buying a paperback.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Just an interesting note - Sony does not include free books in their bestseller list.
Could be that free eBooks don't actually sell.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could be that free eBooks don't actually sell.
Yeah... They don't 'sell', but they sure move off the Baen Free Library!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #39
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've bought plenty of books in my life based on the name, cover or just being in the mood for a new book. Some of them I read three pages of and say, "holy moley what twaddle" and chuck it. Before e-books I even did it in book shops where I can physically read it since I have it in my hand. I know I should do that less, but it's so little money, even a book costing $10.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #40
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Like most indies, I've found $1.99 to be a fair price for an ebook, because I still make more per copy than I did per NY paperback. I am so pleased with how it's going that I am releasing an original novel to ebook on March 1--The Skull Ring. It is an exciting time to be a creator!

Scott Nicholson
The Red Church
http://tiny.cc/SMAKb
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
jseay
Devotional Writer
jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Motorola Droid
I found the article in the NY Times most interesting. I think that offering some of your work for free is a good strategy for building readership. Many consumers do expect internet content to be free. Offering a full sample (i.e. a full ebook) for free could help build author brand recognition which could lead to sales of your priced work.
jseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #42
catherinecondie
Enthusiast
catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: None
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
My own experience, FWIW. I originally charged for all my ebooks, and got a trickle of downloads. I decided to make the first one free, and fairly rapidly found it getting thousands of downloads - and hundreds of sales of the later books.

Readers are presented with a plethora of unfamiliar names when they go searching. And people are used to having quite vast amounts of free content on the 'net. Even $1.99 can be a barrier when it comes to trying the unknown.
Hi Shayne - enjoying your book very much. I recently published and purchased GlobalReach on Lulu - is this where you're making your sales? I am wondering how I make the publicity push from free giveaways on Smashwords and Feedbooks and convert them into sales . . . Best wishes, Catherine
catherinecondie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best sellers, free, kindle