Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
edit metadata on device

For some time I wanted to ask you if it was possible to edit the metadata of files already on the device: usually the "edit meta information" is grayed out:
I'd like to fine tune the tags, reedit better the different fields...

some versions ago (1 month or so) it started working !

Now with the last version is not possible anymore.

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if I dreamed that for some time it worked, but if it isnt so, I'd really like that feature restored!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
how typical - 3 seconds after posting I noticed that the feature is still working .
I just forgot that you do not use the "edit metadata" button, but just double-click on the fields you want to change... forget it

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
AndyG
AndyG began at the beginning.

Device: 505, Kindle DX
Is there a way to edit meta information for multiple books while on the device though please? I'd like to set a tag for hundreds of books, and the only way I can see of doing it is to do each one individually using the double click method?
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no there isn't.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
AndyG
AndyG began at the beginning.

Device: 505, Kindle DX
Fair enough. I take it it's not just a case of enabling the "Edit meta information" button for device locations then? That works perfectly for local library edits. (If I could get my books into the library and do it there then I would, but most of them are purchased Sony books with ridiculous random "c789h3kjh843.lrf" type names, and Calibre doesn't pick up their meta information for some reason so I have no idea what is what.)
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
CaptOzone
CaptOzone began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I rename my books purchased from the Sony eBook store to the actual name of the book with an 'lrf' extension. So, for example, the book

"The War of the Worlds" C985985nchgq8.lrx, would become

"TheWarOfTheWorlds.lrf" - or if you're real anal "The War of the Worlds.lrf"

I then add the book to Calibre using the "add single book" option.

At this point I can edit the meta-information in Calibre, and when I have what I want I can send the book to the PRS-505. As long as the "secret code" embedded in the book matches the device, it does not seem to care the extension is now and 'lrf' instead of an 'lrx'. Plus with the 'lrf' extension, Calibre won't complain about sending it off because it is now a known file type.

You still can not view the book through Calibre due to the encryption, but I don't view books through Calibre anyway.

DCM
CaptOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOzone View Post
I then add the book to Calibre using the "add single book" option.

At this point I can edit the meta-information in Calibre, and when I have what I want I can send the book to the PRS-505. As long as the "secret code" embedded in the book matches the device, it does not seem to care the extension is now and 'lrf' instead of an 'lrx'. Plus with the 'lrf' extension, Calibre won't complain about sending it off because it is now a known file type.
Interesting... if this all works fine then I think Calibre should easily support the .lrx extension.. and just know that the viewer is not available for those file types. You should create a Ticket.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Fair enough. I take it it's not just a case of enabling the "Edit meta information" button for device locations then? That works perfectly for local library edits. (If I could get my books into the library and do it there then I would, but most of them are purchased Sony books with ridiculous random "c789h3kjh843.lrf" type names, and Calibre doesn't pick up their meta information for some reason so I have no idea what is what.)
That's because they are DRMed, i.e. encrypted. And no bulk metadata editing on the device would be a non-trivial feature to implement.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The content in LRX files is encrypted but the metadata isn't. You can easily read it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Is it? Where is it?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check the sources of my BBeB shell extension (see getLrfMetaData() in BBeBMetaData.cpp).
Basically, LRX is a quicktime/mp4-type container consisting of atoms, and one of the atoms is the complete LRF file (the rest is signature and encryption info).
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The post you linked to only has the binaries, not the source.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard

Oops. Attached the sources.