Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Goldsmith, Martin M.: Double Jeopardy. v1, 29 Aug 2008

CORRECTED 8/30/08: The link was to the html file, rather the full page view. The link has now been corrected to reflect the full page view.

This title was released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the book here. There is additional acknowledgement AND a link again placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

http://www.munseys.com/book/19263/DOUBLE_JEOPARDY

This is what one source has to say about the novel:

"Is it possible in this day of enlightened justice for a man to be punished twice for the same crime? Double Jeopardy answers this question, at the same time uncovering the greatest of many loopholes in our modern jurisprudence. In this very human but striking novel are portrayed the calamities that can be visited upon any ordinary citizen by the cold dispassionate judgement of our courts and our unimaginative and often stupid juries. Through the eyes of the victim, Peter Thatcher, this tense revelation unfolds, growing to ugly and utterly ridiculous proportions. "Peter Thatcher has murdered his wife," people said. "I heard them quarreling," announced one. "And I," added another, "saw the blood." To make matters worse, Thatcher himself could not be quite sure of his own innocence!...."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

Dude, the "One Source" you rip was the print edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This title was released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the book here. There is additional acknowledgement AND a link again placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

http://www.munseys.com/disktwo/doubjeopdex.htm

This is what one source has to say about the novel:

"Is it possible in this day of enlightened justice for a man to be punished twice for the same crime? Double Jeopardy answers this question, at the same time uncovering the greatest of many loopholes in our modern jurisprudence. In this very human but striking novel are portrayed the calamities that can be visited upon any ordinary citizen by the cold dispassionate judgement of our courts and our unimaginative and often stupid juries. Through the eyes of the victim, Peter Thatcher, this tense revelation unfolds, growing to ugly and utterly ridiculous proportions. "Peter Thatcher has murdered his wife," people said. "I heard them quarreling," announced one. "And I," added another, "saw the blood." To make matters worse, Thatcher himself could not be quite sure of his own innocence!...."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Here's the Amazon link. Wow, similar prose. Only a slimeball would quote it without mention of source.

Again, I don't particularly care about the above title, but let's get an insight into what you're up to.

That book, extremely rare, never reprinted, hidden after the Ashley Judd flick, was a solid $250 in hardcover. I bought it, scanned it, gave it away, printed it. Like Detour, it was an ehh, sales-wise, though we'll see what CSpace and Replica can do. However, in this above post, you are once again doing what you do best:

Striving as hard as possible to take food off my table and starve myself and my family.

And, to repeat, Munsey's is a loss-leader. But let's look at what you've done. I had huge (surprising) success with a book called "Warriors of Old Japan"--a selection from the Heike Monogatari, proofed from the Archive, which was Disruptive Publishing's #1 title from Jan.-May of this year (June brought out the old favorites, a booksurge partnership, and my familiar arrogance.) Title never sold on Amazon... doesn't mean it never sold.

I was so enthused, I went shopping, bought up a ton of books from Hokuseido, Kodansha, Liveright, others. I think I spent $8k. These books, like Warriors, are "meh" translations, but better than the Monkey. Idea was to give them away, mebbe print if popular. We're talking single copies of titles printed in Tokyo, pre-WWII, one of 250, on linen, etc... and no ebay magic like I have with smut.

Not that I'll ever recoup (err, well, I did print Warriors, and that...), but because, sir, of your single-minded desire to harm my business, those titles won't be free. They'll, in fact, be sold, and we'll see what the Kindle economy can do.

I hope your following thanks you.

Oh, and PS: your citing of the Pulpgen titles on Munsey's ignores three things:
  1. I talked to one of the Pulpgen duo at Windy City and Pulpcon; they <I>want</I> the titles available widely. I of course never take the illustrations, despite ease, because their .pdfs give the whole pulp experience.
  2. I don't direct link, because given the unfriendly-to-search-engines layout, and PDF content, Pulpgen is better served by a homepage mention.
  3. On the genealogy side, the "gen" of pulpgen, Disruptive Publishing cites their work in a couple of books, and we also mention pulpgen founder Larry Estep at conferences.

We do everything we can to help Mr. Estep and his business, with his permission and encouragement, as well as those of his partners. You do everything you can to harm me and mine. You imply I should offer you "respect." But my prior aspersions to Internet-Tough-Guy-dom aside, suffice to say, I studied martial arts for three years in Asia, I'm back to benching the rack on the home gym, and should we meet, and I ask you to step outside...

... it won't be because I'm offering f*******.

PPS: It's the Munsey's source link to all formats... not the HTML file. The directions are apt. But you begrudge me a pageview? Pathetic old man...

Last edited by Patricia; 08-30-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Edited to remove bad language.
silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Silkpag, We think that you are doing a great job with Munsey's. It is an excellent site. And lovers of pulp fiction must be extremely grateful that you are rescuing so many books.

The books from your site that Dr Drib has converted are all Creative Commons. Dr Drib did misunderstand exactly how to make the required attribution, but has apologised and made corrections.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28349

It is just possible that this might cause a few more people to visit your site.

I have removed some bad language from your last post. It ought to be possible to express disagreement without crudity or threats of violence.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkpag View Post
Here's the Amazon link. Wow, similar prose. Only a slimeball would quote it without mention of source.
The following is from the description posted on Amazon:

"Is it possible in this day of enlightened justice for a man to be punished twice for the same crime? Double Jeopardy answers this question, at the same time uncovering the greatest of many loopholes in our modern jurisprudence. In this very human but striking novel are portrayed the calamities that can be visited upon any ordinary citizen by the cold dispassionate judgement of our courts and our unimaginative and often stupid juries. Through the eyes of the victim, Peter Thatcher, this tense revelation unfolds, growing to ugly and utterly ridiculous proportions. "Peter Thatcher has murdered his wife," people said. "I heard them quarreling," announced one. "And I," added another, "saw the blood." To make matters worse, Thatcher himself could not be quite sure of his own innocence!....

The following is from the actual book:

Is it possible in this day of enlightened justice for a man to be punished twice for the same crime?
Double Jeopardy answers this question, at the same time uncovering the greatest of many loopholes in our modern jurisprudence. In this very human but striking novel are portrayed the calamities that can be visited upon any ordinary citizen by the cold dispassionate judgement of our courts and our unimaginative and often stupid juries. Through the eyes of the victim, Peter Thatcher, this tense revelation unfolds, growing to ugly and utterly ridiculous proportions.
“Peter Thatcher has murdered his wife,” people said. “I heard them quarreling,” announced one. “And I,” added another, “saw the blood.”
To make matters worse, Thatcher himself could not be quite sure of his own innocence!

Wow similar prose. Amazon surely must be a slime ball company for failing to mention the source.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 08-30-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exclamation

Silkpag.

Personally, I very much appreciate the work you have done for e-books in general: you've put in a yeoman's effort and I can't help but be a bit awed by it.

However.

The sort of things you've just posted cross several lines here at MobileRead.

We do not tolerate name calling, and actual physical threats are way beyond the pale. It's surprising to me that someone with your legal background doesn't recognize the hazard of doing such a thing, particularly in a documented, public fashion.

That being said, you are quite welcome to disagree, and express that disagreement, so long as you do so in a respectful manner. This community is founded on respectful discussion, and we put a great deal of effort into preserving it.

There are some rather obvious questions that your comments have raised, that I would invite you to explain to us, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering about them, and I believe the explanations might help us understand each other better.

Are you not making these texts, and your work in creating them, available -- without charge -- under a Creative Commons License which expressly permits non-commercial uses of them?

If so, the claim that someone is out to "take food off [your] table and starve [you] and [your] family" by doing precisely what you've given them permission to do in the CCL -- by doing, in fact, what you yourself are doing -- seems ... difficult to credit.

If you intend your giveaways of the electronic texts to be "free samples" for the purpose of promoting paper copy sales, how does having more exposure hurt that effort in any way?

If you don't want others to share your e-texts, I respectfully suggest that you do have the option to publish them in a way that doesn't give express permission to do precisely that.

If you have some particular guidelines in mind for what you would like in the way of link-backs to your source, I respectfully request that you outline those requirements, in a manner that does not include insults and threats, but which is clear and explicit, so that they can be understood by someone who doesn't already know what you have in mind. You also might want to consider including those specific guidelines in the Creative Commons license notice attached to the texts so that anyone who comes along will understand what those specific guidelines you have in mind are. I believe that would also give more weight to your position.

As it is, what the CCL notice says on the matter is "a link to the book's source page is required, both on the actual book so distributed, and on any page linking directly to the book." When you pointed out to Dr. Drib that he was missing part of that, he complied with that notice -- in spite of its tone -- because he wanted to do things the right way. You may not care to accept that, but the relevant point is that, regardless of the motive you choose to impute to him, he complied with the stated requirements, and corrected his error in that compliance when it was pointed out to him.

If the stated requirements are not what you really have in mind, then you probably want to change them. I imagine that Dr. Drib may be willing to comply with whatever those requirements might actually be, though in my view, he's complied with what was required at the time, and isn't really legally or morally obligated to comply with "requirements" put in place after the fact.

Please note that no one is making any money off the books here at all: they're being given away, free of charge, just as they are on your own site. You had a valid point about the back-links, but that's been addressed. If there are other titles here that are missing them, please let us know which ones and we'll take care of them as well.

Beyond that, you are welcome to bring grievances, and express differences of opinion here as you like, so long as you do so in a respectful manner. Name calling, insults (veiled or otherwise) and threats will not be tolerated.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Thank you NatCh......I was dumbfounded by the totally bizzare post made by silkpag. My first thought was "Is this person on meds, and did he/she go off them?"

The reference to "Taking food off my table etc" also confused me. Is this person getting paid for uploading free books?

The continued reference of paying so much money for such rare books makes no sense. If you are so worried about feeding your family, why would you pay 8k for books?

The whole idea behind his/her posts seem to be lack of proper mention of source, is that right? A simple request to do so would have corrected the problem immediately, I'm sure.

The last paragraph in his/her post, about martial arts, benching on the rack in the home gym, made me actually laugh out loud. What , is that supposed to impress?

And the phrase, "pathetic old man". Someone wanting the respect this person is so adamant about might want to re-think their infantile attack on others.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
A simple request to do so would have corrected the problem immediately, I'm sure.
Indeed. As a point of fact: the noted problems have been corrected, even thought the the "notification" wasn't precisely a "request" ... or a notification, really.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote