Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
Questions about K3 wifi only and Amazon fees

I just ordered a Kindle 3 wifi a few days ago, and haven't owned one in the past, but I have read on Amazon's site about how wireless delivery fees work, and I think I understand it for the most part - but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's true that, if you have the wifi only version Amazon would not charge any fees to send (email) and document to my kindle.

I guess another way of putting it is, if you're not using the 3G wireless connection ever, are there any instances where you could be charged for sending/receiving documents, data, etc. of any kind to/from your kindle?
That would also include using Calibre to autosend email documents (like blogs) to my kindle on a daily basis - I'd really hate to misunderstand the whole fee thing and end up having to pay $$ if I didn't have to!

Thanks in advance!
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer989 View Post
but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's true that, if you have the wifi only version Amazon would not charge any fees to send (email) and document to my kindle.

I guess another way of putting it is, if you're not using the 3G wireless connection ever, are there any instances where you could be charged for sending/receiving documents, data, etc. of any kind to/from your kindle?
That would also include using Calibre to autosend email documents (like blogs) to my kindle on a daily basis - I'd really hate to misunderstand the whole fee thing and end up having to pay $$ if I didn't have to!

Thanks in advance!
As long as you aren't using 3G (Whispernet) there should never be any charge for sending documents to your Kindle. The Amazon Help page for transferring documents says:

Quote:
To access your personal documents on your Kindle, send attachments to your Kindle's e-mail address ("name"@free.kindle.com). The files will be sent to your Kindle via the Wi-Fi connection and also to the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account at no charge.
Also, you can go to the Manage Your Kindle page and set
"Your Personal Document Charge Limit" to $0.00, which should guarantee that any documents get sent to your @free.kindle.com address at no charge.

Last edited by carld; 08-06-2010 at 11:42 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Thanks for the question and thanks for the answer. This is relevant for me!
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks, that makes sense. Some of Amazon's terminology on their site is a bit confusing (using the word 'wireless', and sometimes they don't specify if it's 3G or wi-fi that they're talking about).

On another note, I ordered mine on the August 2nd, and on my open orders page at Amazon it has a delivery estimate of October 5th!

jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I ordered mine on the August 2nd, and on my open orders page at Amazon it has a delivery estimate of October 5th!

I think that happened with the K1 and/or K2 as well--early purchasers got theirs about the time of the release but Amazon quickly ran out and later purchasers had to wait a long time to have their orders shipped. I guess Amazon is afraid of having too many units and not enough sales. Apple always seems to have plent of units, but then again Apple has such a cult following that they could shrink wrap poop, slap an Apple logo on it, and sale a million iPoops for $150.
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. Some of Amazon's terminology on their site is a bit confusing (using the word 'wireless', and sometimes they don't specify if it's 3G or wi-fi that they're talking about).

On another note, I ordered mine on the August 2nd, and on my open orders page at Amazon it has a delivery estimate of October 5th!

That totally sucks, I ordered mine on Aug 1st before they posted about a second delivery date of Sept 4th, and now it shows delivery date from Oct 7th to 14th!!!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Yeah, in case you haven't seen the recent posts in this thread, CS seems to be reassuring people not to worry, if you live in the US and ordered your kindle by 8PM PST on August 1st, you'll be in the first batch that will ship at launch, and if you live in the UK, and ordered by "midday" on the 1st, you'll also be in the first batch. They seem confused as to why the estimated ship dates are showing up like that. However, if you click the order number to go into the actual order, it shows that there's still no estimated ship date, and they'll email with updates. I think it's just a little fluke.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
lol guys, don't panic.
What's the worst case scenario? You can wait for the promised shipping date, and if your device is not shipped - you can cancel your pre-order. Doesn't have to cost you a dime.
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
well, thank goodness! Thanks for the heads up, or this case... thumbs up!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
looks like my order changed from saying "October 5" on the order summary page, back to the old, "we'll email you when we know more" line. So that's good, I guess.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Are you kidding??

Quote:

Are you kidding?? I ordered mine on 7/30/2010 and this is what appears on the Amazon site for my order:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time."

However, for the cover it says "Shipping Estimate: August 31, 2010"

Last edited by sirmaru; 08-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Are you kidding?? I ordered mine on 7/30/2010 and this is what appears on the Amazon site for my order:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time."

However, for the cover it says "Shipping Estimate: August 31, 2010"
Me, too. I would think we'd have our estimates sooner since we ordered sooner.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, delivery, fee, wifi, wireless