Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #31
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Did somebody compile the FBReader or XCHM or XPDF for the Kindle and that kernel? Iwould like to know how it looks like (and of course you would have DRM-free Epub support)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #32
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
A new kernel should not be necessary to get those programs running... Various things can be compiled with scratchbox, but for testing, the Kindle can even run Ubuntu ARM in chroot. See http://blog.fsck.com/2009/07/new-kindle-features.html
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #33
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Warning: do not blindly compile everything in the kernel. My kindle is now stuck in a reboot loop. I built a ttl to rs232 converter with a spare max3232 chip u had laying around, but it's not working because of either my bad soldering skills, or I didn't get then ports correctly. Anyone have the ttl pinout for the kindle?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I assume you're aware of those threads? (It's mostly DX & K1, but that may be of some help).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72635
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66170
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71367
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...g-console.html
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #35
Jethro
Jethro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Nice guide , Im thinking of trying it but I'm a bit of a Linux noob. What exactly does this do? Does it rewrite all the system files on the kindle? because I broke my internet somehow, and a factory reset doesn't fix it, so it would be awesome if i could do this and completely restore..
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #36
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yifanlu, do I understand this right that there is no initramfs involved? So I need initramfs support, but no actual initramfs to compile into the kernel? Just to make sure - well, I have access to a serial port converter, but I would prefer to not test my aweful soldering skills.....
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #37
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Yifanlu, do I understand this right that there is no initramfs involved? So I need initramfs support, but no actual initramfs to compile into the kernel? Just to make sure - well, I have access to a serial port converter, but I would prefer to not test my aweful soldering skills.....
Uboot is in charge of loading the kernel, however, there is an initramfs.coup that is loaded for recovery scripts.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
Has anybody compiled the kernel in Firmware 3.4 for Kindle DXG? This is beyond my capability.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #39
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think so. The approach to run firmware version 3.x on the KDX rather went the route to adapt the userland system to the original KDX kernel version.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

But I think it was mentioned that Yifan's approach does not update the linux kernel. The Firmware 3.4 requires kernel updates (eink_fb) to have MOBI8 support. And it was mentioned that the reason of not updating the kernel is the kernel used in Kindle 3 does not backward support Kindle 2(including DX and DXG). Is it possible to recompile Kindle 3 kernel with selecting Kindle 2 CPU support?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #41
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
is it possible? almost certainly. Has anyone done it? not that I know of.

As a rough starting guide you could use my Building a 3.3 kernel guide or the above resources. good luck. Niluje has provisioned some likely flags and switches for the DX builds. his x-compile config would most likely be a decent starting point also.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
budalb
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I am not an expert to compile a customized kernel. Do any experts who own DXG want to help? The MOBI8 support is so useful that epub file with embedded font can be converted and viewed on DXG.

I always prefer to reading material on DXG at home. It looks more like a book, with bigger fonts and less page turns. A MOBI8 support probably is the last thing we need for the life of DXG. The PDF contrast adjustment is good too, but I no longer read PDF with it anymore. It simply too small for letter size PDF.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #43
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
Unfortunately I am not an expert to compile a customized kernel. Do any experts who own DXG want to help? The MOBI8 support is so useful that epub file with embedded font can be converted and viewed on DXG.

I always prefer to reading material on DXG at home. It looks more like a book, with bigger fonts and less page turns. A MOBI8 support probably is the last thing we need for the life of DXG. The PDF contrast adjustment is good too, but I no longer read PDF with it anymore. It simply too small for letter size PDF.
true I use Hawhill et al's pdfviewer on there for that. also using it as a screen for a more fully featured viewer on the pc but these all take a little knowledge.

Maybe try the via buildroot method if x-compiling scares you.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188031

fiddle around with something like that. I was no expert when I gave it a go. The info is out there.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #44
budalb
Enthusiast

twobob: Thanks.

I would give it a try when during Xmas break. Two questions:

1) How do I recover the device if kernel flash OK, but kindle fails to boot or provide an interface (e.g. shell).

2) Does anybody have a DXG boot message that I can guess what is included in the 2.5.8 kernel?

The PDF enhancements (contrast adjustment, zoom) in 3.4 firmware does not need kernel support. MOBI8 support is the only one I found that needs kernel support.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #45
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
twobob: Thanks.

I would give it a try when during Xmas break. Two questions:

1) How do I recover the device if kernel flash OK, but kindle fails to boot or provide an interface (e.g. shell).

2) Does anybody have a DXG boot message that I can guess what is included in the 2.5.8 kernel?

The PDF enhancements (contrast adjustment, zoom) in 3.4 firmware does not need kernel support. MOBI8 support is the only one I found that needs kernel support.
1 - So don't flash the kernel until you know it works.
I.E: Load it into memory with u-boot and execute it from there.

2a - See if you have a /proc/.config.gz file on your DXG while it is running. That is the config file that was used to build it.

2b - Use the kernel's attached symbol table of exported symbols, find in the kernel source tree what features export each symbol, enable those features.

3 - Your way - guess from the boot messages - lots of luck with that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote