Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
First real review

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/mp3/...er.aspx?page=1

Pretty positive, but they agree that it's overpriced. There's a video here:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/mp3/...er.aspx?page=4

Knock $100 off the price and add a page forward button on the left, and it would be a really compelling device.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...the lack of an app store and the Borders eBook store at launch dims some of the Alex’s appeal. Assuming Spring Design adds 3G—without jacking up the price—and rolls out other promised features, this will be a much better device.
This sums it up. $400 is too much for a 6" e-ink screen with non-compelling e-ink features. The Sony Daily Edition is questionable also at $400 but the overall package is desirable to those who insist on a finger-touch screen.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This sums it up. $400 is too much for a 6" e-ink screen with non-compelling e-ink features. The Sony Daily Edition is questionable also at $400 but the overall package is desirable to those who insist on a finger-touch screen.
I agree it's overpriced. I'd like one actually even though i just bought a nook recently. but i'm disappointed - I thought i had read that alex would be priced at about $359 or $369 or something...
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I think I read somewhere that the $359 price will be the ones you can buy at Borders this summer. I read the PDF of the user manual yesterday and the Alex will have a "Go To Location/Page" function, unlike the Nook, so I'm probably going to put my Nook up for adoption soon.

Last edited by NNolan; 03-22-2010 at 06:28 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I think I read somewhere that the $359 price will be the ones you can buy at Borders this summer. I read the PDF of the user manual yesterday and the Alex will have a "Go To Location/Page" function, unlike the Nook, so I'm probably going to put my Nook up for adoption soon.
Yes I agree. the lack of a go-to page on Nook is frustrating. Right now for some reason my library book isn't opening in my Sony, but it's ok in my Nook. But now just going to my last read page is so unwieldy. Such a basic function, it's just disappointing they didnt include it in basic firmware! Its partly why I would consider Alex, but I also welcome not having to softroot a device.. Softrooting didnt seem to work for me bec of battery issues on my Nook and my being so IT inept - though I may try again...

Last edited by jen6060; 03-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I saw an Alex review on Engadget from last week. The reviewer likes it, but complains about the lack of a dedicated bookstore to buy bestsellers from right now. If it really has full ADE support they should have been able to load current epubs from Kobo, Sony, Fictionwise, etc (anywhere but Amazon/Barnes & Noble), but it reads like they didn't even try, just stated that Google Books is all you get until this coming summer when the Borders set up is finished. If this thing succeeds it will be in spite of the press, I'm afraid.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Does anyone know if it's possible to just keep the e-ink screen on while switching off the lcd-screen?

Found the answer in the review previously posted:
Quote:
The LCD dims then turns off after a period of inactivity, or users can turn the LCD off when reading on the EPD.
My biggest concern with this device is the small page-turning buttons and that they are placed at the bottom of the device.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-19-2010 at 03:31 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote