Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Time Travel &/or History Books

When I was a little boy we spent a good deal of time in Spain and England. From when I was 3 until I was 8 to be exact.

Naturally we went to museums (where I was once, in 1954, removed from the King of Spain’s throne)(I was tired). I blame all of those suits of armor and swords for my interest in history.

But my interest in reading about history came from a few books;
Andre Norton
The Time Traders
Galactic Derelict
The Defiant Agents
and
G C Edmondson
The Ship That Sailed The Time Stream

No, they ain't GREAT FICTION. But they are great if you're a little kid.

Then too there are the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series. The first being Master and Commander.

Even the Sherlock Holmes books take you back to history.

There were many more fiction books, but then too there were many non-fiction books.

The non-fiction books range from Babylon to the moon.

And history can be fun! After all what can be more engrossing than Human body lice reveal the birthdate of fashion!!!

That and more can be found at The Costumer's Manifesto.

Anyone else interested in historical fiction of that sort, or non-fiction?

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I'm just finishing up on Michael Chrichton's Timeline. Its okay. Not fantastic. And technically not time travel, but the basics are there.. Has a lot of quantum mechanics mumbo jumbo though.

I much preferred HG Wells The Time Machine. It was more.. Hypothetical..

But I will always recommend Ken Folletts Pillars Of The Earth as a great work of historical fiction.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you like historical fiction, I can definitely recommend The Flashman series. The author, George MacDonald Fraser plucked the character, Harry Flashman, from the book Tom Brown's School Days and wrote a whole series of historical novels around him.

In these books Harry is always at the center of momentous events in Victorian England (ex., Charge of the Light Brigade, Retreat from Kabul etc) and, although he is a coward and a womanizer, he always is mistakenly seen as the hero.

Very funny and very historically accurate books.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I'm just finishing up on Michael Chrichton's Timeline.
But I will always recommend Ken Folletts Pillars Of The Earth as a great work of historical fiction.
Timeline was a good book. Up until the end. In fact, because of the ending I would not recommend reading it. Well, ok. Read it almost to the end. Then make up your own ending and glue it over his. I was so disappointed that I haven't read anything else he has written.

Strangely enough, the hocus pocus, smoke and mirrors (pun intended) are in the best traditions of classic sciFi.

Thank you for the "Pillars Of The Earth " tip. I will definitely get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
If you like historical fiction, I can definitely recommend The Flashman series.
I have the full set, plus the ebooks, plus the movie. And if I could afford the audiobooks I would have them too.

When I started reading Flashman I almost quit. "Why would anyone want to read about that jerk!" Needless to say, I continued ro read anyway.

If any of you haven't read them, the Flashman series will give you a character to love/hate, laugh at and with. Someone who gets what he deserves. And then you can't wait to see how he can get out of it.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
There are two books I'd recommend that feature time travel:

- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger, an excellent read.

- The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold, one of the best time travel books I've read and one that deals with the many issues of time travel (such as time paradoxes).

In addition, there is one comic book series I'd recommend: Booster Gold. Booster Gold is a superhero who is now considered a disgraced joke by most people, but his real job is one of the most important in the DC Universe: to keep history intact and on track, and to undo any changes that others make before they become set (with time travel in the DC Universe events are like wet concrete, the longer they remain in place the more firm they become until they become unchangeable).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold, one of the best time travel books I've read and one that deals with the many issues of time travel (such as time paradoxes).
I had completely forgotten about that one! Thank you.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
If you like an epic scale, I strongly recommend Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle". It has everything . . . action, sex, physics, pirates, monetary policy, heresey, phlogiston and more.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I recommend Joe Haldeman - The Accidental Time Machine (2007).

I'm not going to spoil it, all you need to know is that it fits the thread title.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydcarts View Post
If you like an epic scale, I strongly recommend Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle". It has everything . . . action, sex, physics, pirates, monetary policy, heresey, phlogiston and more.
More and more.

Is there a doctor in the house?

I need an excuse to skip work for the rest of the year.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
I recommend Joe Haldeman - The Accidental Time Machine (2007).

I'm not going to spoil it, all you need to know is that it fits the thread title.
That's in the reader waiting to be read. Thanks for another good one.

Has anyone tried the Grantville Gazette?

It's a spin-off of the "Ring of Fire series". That starts with 1632 (Free).

The Grantville Gazette is a bunch of short stories about what can happen to ordinary people on both sides of the time line.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For a good laugh and another (albeit small) look at time travel, you can also check out The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Might I suggest The Book Of Kells by Robert A. MacAvoy. A very well written book that is set in Celtic times. I found it hard to put down when I first read it about 10 years ago. And of course there is always H. G. Wells The Time Machine.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Check out Connie Willis' Doomsday Book and the new one Blackout

She has written several pieces involving time travel by history students and faculty of the future University of Oxford. These pieces include her Hugo Award-winning novels Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog and the short story "Fire Watch", found in the short story collection of the same name. She is currently working on another book set in this universe, to be published as a two book set. The first volume, Blackout [3] was released on February 2, 2010. The second volume, All-Clear,[4] is scheduled to be released six months later.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Have you tried any Edward Rutherfurd books? His latest 'New York' is out on eBook - haven't checked on any of the others yet as I have them on the shelf.

He takes a place and tells it's history from way back to now by telling the history of some characters & their families & offsprings.

My favourites where 'The Forrest', 'Sarum' and now 'New York'
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Harry Turtledove and Judith Tarr wrote a book about a divorced lawyer with custody of the two kids who accidentally wishes herself back in time to Roman Germany. It's calle Household Gods. Sadly, it's not available in digital format, but I liked it so much I've read it twice.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote