Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
How do you keep track of series in your reader?

in caliber I get seriesname [1] etc
but in the reader I get seriesname and that's it. Since caliber doesn't store them according to the series number, I can't even go into the info section of the book to look.

Anybody have any strategies they use, it's annoying to go on the net every time I want to check what order I should be reading, or open a bunch of books to find that info out.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, I use the Sony software not Calibre, but what I do is give each series it's own collection and put them in order in the collection. Not sure if there's a way to do that with Calibre, but I thought there was.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you transfer all the books in a series in one go, calibre will put them in the right order on your reader under the series based collection
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
When I title the books in the metadata, I actually use the series name and placement first, then the actually book title.

As an example, I'd re-title J.D. Robb's "Naked in Death" as "Eve Dallas 01 - Naked in Death".

Then when I sort by title, they're all together.

I'll admit, I started doing that when my ebook reader was the eBookwise. No collections on that. But I'm used to it now and I like it.

If I was starting over, I might just try to get the collections cleaned up and leave the titles. There are some book series that all I can see in the TOC is the series name and placement...it's too long to read the book title too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Banshay
Banshay began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Sony PRS-505, Iphone 4, Ipad 1st Gen
Say for a trilogy, and when I remember to do it, it works to identify all three books as in the same series (which saves as a collection) and then title them with the order number in the title:

series A titlename 1
series A titlename 2
series A titlename 3

series B titlename 1
series B titlename 2
series B titlename 3

That way you can open a collection for a particular series and then see immediately what the reading order should be based on the number in the title.
Banshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
If you have the PRS700 and use the series with book number's in calibre they will be listed in order of book number on your reader.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
They are also listed in order of the Series Index field on the PRS-500 as long as you put them on the internal memory and add them all at the same time.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am pretty simple so what I do is while I am reading book one I remember the name of book 2... while reading 2 I remember 3 and so on.
I reference Calibre every now and then just to keep track of it myself...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshay View Post
Say for a trilogy, and when I remember to do it, it works to identify all three books as in the same series (which saves as a collection) and then title them with the order number in the title:

series A titlename 1
series A titlename 2
series A titlename 3

series B titlename 1
series B titlename 2
series B titlename 3

That way you can open a collection for a particular series and then see immediately what the reading order should be based on the number in the title.
If you are doing something as huge as Disc World, then be sure to use Series Name A 01 titlename to ensure that they sort in order.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you transfer all the books in a series in one go, calibre will put them in the right order on your reader under the series based collection
Is this a recent addition? Because the last time I loaded my reader(v 119 I think) it loaded them as collections, but in random order.

Do I need to wipe my reader and reload to get this to happen?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I first used this facility when Calibre releases number's were still in double digits! So, unless the facility was broken in the particular release you mentioned, it is not a new facility

You do need to first delete any books from the collection that might already be present or you will not have met the criteria about "loading them all at the same time". Overwriting is not sufficient.

With a PRS-500 (not sure about other models), they also have to be loaded to the internal memory for collections (and thus collection order) to be recognized.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote