Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Length of Reading Queue

I was recently wondering when I'd get to reading the latest G.K. Chesterton upload by Patricia, so I decided to check the length of my reading queue.

I have my library organised by author folders. I also have two special folders, "New Books" for books I've bought but not yet read, and "Classics" which mainly contains interesting looking downloads from Mobileread.

I currently have 296 books in my "New books" folder, and 310 in my "Classics" folder. And while I have read a few of the "new" books before, and some of the "classics" (& some are reference so don't get 'read' in that way), I now have well over 500 novels waiting for me to read them. Hmmm... checking up, I have just over 2200 distinct eBooks in my library, so I've read about 1600 over the past six years. That means I already have enough unread books to last me for about two years....

Perhaps I ought to stop buying books for a while!

I blame the fictionwise sales over the past six months or so. Does anyone else 'suffer' from a long reading queue?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I was recently wondering when I'd get to reading the latest G.K. Chesterton upload by Patricia, so I decided to check the length of my reading queue.

I have my library organised by author folders. I also have two special folders, "New Books" for books I've bought but not yet read, and "Classics" which mainly contains interesting looking downloads from Mobileread.

I currently have 296 books in my "New books" folder, and 310 in my "Classics" folder. And while I have read a few of the "new" books before, and some of the "classics" (& some are reference so don't get 'read' in that way), I now have well over 500 novels waiting for me to read them. Hmmm... checking up, I have just over 2200 distinct eBooks in my library, so I've read about 1600 over the past six years. That means I already have enough unread books to last me for about two years....

Perhaps I ought to stop buying books for a while!

I blame the fictionwise sales over the past six months or so. Does anyone else 'suffer' from a long reading queue?
You are kidding right? I think I have like 200+ books in just my re-read queue, because I want to experience them on the e-reader as well

To-be-read-for-the-first-time queue is just ridiculously large! Damn e-ink devices should have been around 20 years ago! I will never finish my list in time. I need to win the lottery so I can retire and spend my days reading and scratching my dogs behind the ears!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
You are kidding right? I think I have like 200+ books in just my re-read queue, because I want to experience them on the e-reader as well

To-be-read-for-the-first-time queue is just ridiculously large! Damn e-ink devices should have been around 20 years ago! I will never finish my list in time. I need to win the lottery so I can retire and spend my days reading and scratching my dogs behind the ears!
I've got a few hundred in my queue, but I look at it philosphically. If I have them in hand, I can read them, if I don't I can't read them. The order doesn't matter....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I put what I want to read on a spreadsheet before I buy anything, especially since books that are in my queue haven't come out yet.

But combined with what I have on my shelf, what is unread on my reader, what is out that is on my "want" list, easily 150 books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm too afraid to count them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Even just a guestimate hurt to think about...
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have 34 books on the Reader, 2 of those already read. I have a ~100 item folder of "interesting" that I will consider when I next load the Reader. Beyond that, everything is ordered by topic | writer with a nod to format when it matters.

There are too many great books that I have neverf read once to fool around with rereading books. The only time rereading happens is when I am creating ebooks for MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It was at least 5 miles long this morning, fairly normal for traffic into Reading along the A4/M4 corridor ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It was at least 5 miles long this morning, fairly normal for traffic into Reading along the A4/M4 corridor ....

Excellent.

A once-in-a-lifetime punning opportunity taken with aplomb - good work!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Ha ha! We have a city named Reading in Pennsylvania, not to mention a big snowstorm just blew in, and I didn't even think to make a pun.

Might have something to do with the fact that it is pronounced "redding" and we Americans hardly ever say "queue," which I have to say is a much nicer word for traffic...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've got mine a little under control with only 30 non-classics awaiting me. I designed my own eBook Database and use that to track what I've read, what's in my queue and what's on my wish list. This helps me maintain a (very) little discipline.

BTW, if you want a similar database of your own, I uploaded a copy here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=database

Just download it and enter your own books.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I resemble that remark.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

On a similar note, has anyone attempted to figure out how many books they've read?

One day I tried...for about ten minutes. I've settled for writing everything I've read since that day.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, let's see... One, two, three, lots...

Yep. Lots.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
On a similar note, has anyone attempted to figure out how many books they've read?

One day I tried...for about ten minutes. I've settled for writing everything I've read since that day.
I'm not going to go back and try to figure it out, though I sometimes take a crack at the "100 best books" type of lists and mark all those that I have read. Starting in 2004, I have been writing down each book as I finish it. I had aspirations of writing a review of each one, but that felt so much like the dreaded "book report" that I now only review the exceptional ones -- either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.

My lists are online at http://www.elsi123.net/~elsi/reading/

I average something around 130 books each year.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote