Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Another e-book article in the Telegraph

The launch of the Sony Reader in the UK has prompted another article in the Telegraph newspaper.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another article spoiled by the author making references to Apple. This has nothing to do with Apple. I wish authors would stick to the subject. THis article is now classified as rubbish.

Quote:
“The devices will become more attractive, especially if Apple produces one, and probably cheaper, and people will get more accustomed to them, but I think what’s most likely to happen is that some people will sometimes use ebooks – probably when traveling – and sometimes traditional books, similar in a way to choosing to watch a film either on DVD or at the cinema.”
The author totally spoils the article saying Apple could do it better then everyone else. Does the author think Apple can do everything better then everyone else? I'm kind of tired to see eBook readers compared to iPods or that Apple could do it better. Apple doesn't have a reader. The author just looks foolish with that quote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another article spoiled by the author making references to Apple. This has nothing to do with Apple. I wish authors would stick to the subject. THis article is now classified as rubbish.
Um, the author didn't make a single reference to Apple, in fact, there is only one mention of Apple in the entire article, and that is in a quote from Daniel Crewe, the editorial director of Profile Books.

Some of the comments are painfully ignorant, though.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I'm reminded of the problems Sky and Tivo had selling devices in the early days of PVRs. It's really difficult to explain how good and useful they are without sitting someone down with a real one and showing them. I bought my parents Sky+ a few years ago. My mum was opposed to the idea. She had a perfectly good video recorder. Why would she need this thing? Try and take her PVR away now and she'd gut you like a hog.

I think Ebook readers are going to have the same problem. Some people are in full on "Art beard" mode and think there's something magical about holding bound paper in their hands (Shouldn't the story be the important thing?) and others aren't aware of just how good e-ink displays are for reading text.

It might change somewhat once more branches of Waterstones get demo models in. It'll certainly change once the price of the readers start dropping more.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Um, the author didn't make a single reference to Apple, in fact, there is only one mention of Apple in the entire article, and that is in a quote from Daniel Crewe, the editorial director of Profile Books.

Yes, it's a well-written article, but many of the comments really are dire, and have obviously been written by people who don't have a clue about eBook readers. I was especially amused by the "why would I want to replace my library of 3,000 books by 10 eBook readers?" one - the concept that you can store ALL your books on a computer and change the content on the reader has obviously escaped this person!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was especially amused by the "why would I want to replace my library of 3,000 books by 10 eBook readers?" one - the concept that you can store ALL your books on a computer and change the content on the reader has obviously escaped this person!
Maybe they have 10 people in their house - each one would need their own reader.
Although I tend to agree that general ignorance is the most likely reason for a comment like that.
The Telegraph is the fuddy-duddies' newspaper, so it doesn't have the most switched on readership you're likely to encounter (I think most of them still wind up their gramophone players ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. View Post
The launch of the Sony Reader in the UK has prompted another article in the Telegraph newspaper.
Many thanks for the link. Good to see more talk about these in the major UK papers.

Sadly the article feels like it owes more to a Sony Press Release, a few minutes googling, and possibly a quick phonecall or two, than to some real journalism, or experience with these devices. I really wish that journalists writing about them would spent a bit of time with the devices before they write about them -- I'm sure Sony would have let them have a device for a bit.

The comments are interesting (and I'm sure I recognise one or two of the people!), and what I'd expect. You really need to play with these devices to understand them....

Last edited by LazyScot; 09-02-2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added link to Sony Press Release
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post

But the author of the article allowed that comment to be published. I'm just tired of having eBook readers compared to iPods and having them say Apple could do it better. These are competing with iPods so why compare them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
The best comment:

"I'm very saddened to see that once great bookstore "Waterstones" climbing into bed with the great Rip-Off Merchants Sony - somewhat suicidally hastening their own demise.

Do they not understand that a 'Digital Book' can never be the same as the 'real thing' which ... meaningless rant erased...

Thank God there's still Amazon to organise our "Real-Book" purchases !

Give it up Waterstones - meaningless blablah erased... "

This sorry excuse of a man should be introduced to the Amazon Kindle...
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the author of the article allowed that comment to be published. I'm just tired of having eBook readers compared to iPods and having them say Apple could do it better. These are competing with iPods so why compare them?
Well, I think they are more referring to the "one device that made market X a runaway success" or something to that effect. Like the ipod revolutionized personal digital audio *cough*stillafreakingwalkman*cough* and became a runaway success despite being the most expensive of the lot. I'm afraid you had better get used to "the iPod of market X" because it is going to be in use for a while. Sad but true.

And hey, maybe Apple could do ebook readers better. The edges would be rounded, the color scheme unusual yet soothing, it would be hack-unfriendly and at least double as expensive as the rest but the punter wants what the punter wants.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Wow Why so anti Apple!?

Are you seriously disagreeing with the comment?

"The devices will become more attractive, especially if Apple produces one, and probably cheaper, and people will get more accustomed to them,"

IF Apple produced an Ebook device and threw their brand and marketing behind it then its pretty much a guarantee that the devices would become more popular, attractive, and more widely understood.

There is no guarantee that Apple would produce a better Ebook but it IS pretty certain that if they did the average member of the public would become aware of them.

AND

The more manafacturers the better surely?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #12
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Quote:
IF Apple produced an Ebook device and threw their brand and marketing behind it then its pretty much a guarantee that the devices would become more popular, attractive, and more widely understood.
Unfortunately I think we'd then have another format to contend with. Apple will not sell a book reader without locking you into their iStore. Just as Sony and Amazon have done.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Wow Why so anti Apple!?
I'm not anti-apple. I own several of their products. I've described them accurately.