Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
I started at 4, could not stand shadows. Went to 10 and now am at 7. This is in pitch black room of course. That is why I bought it.....
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Normally at 0
At night 6
Planes 4-6
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Just got mine and so far I'm liking 8 - plan to use this for daytime and dim light (living room at night) but will probably stick with my iPod Touch for in-bed-in-total-darkness reading.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #34
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
8 +/- 2 when I'm reading with a light. I don't think I've used it outside yet. As an experiment, I used it on about 4-5 when reading in a completely dark room - but when not experimenting, I don't use it in complete darkness.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #35
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
0 when possible as the bright patches caused by the uneven light really really annoy me (and they can still be visible at setting 0, even more annoyingly) and 4 when in a dark room and needing light.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #36
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In a nearly pitch black room (reading in bed) I ended up at 3 as the best level on mine.
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
driftcrow
driftcrow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wp
0 in normal place,4 for dark
driftcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #38
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Level 24 (full blast) all the time. I find that at level 24, reading with Paperwhite is more enjoyable than reading a printed book.

Yes, it drains the battery fast but as long as I charge it overnight, I have never had my reading interrupted by low battery. Battery life lasted between 12 to 13.5 hours total (does not include the time when the device goes to sleep).
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #39
MelissaDel
MelissaDel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I keep mine on 5 all of the time. Perfect level in the dark, no eye strain at all. This is why I got the PW. I use Helvetica and the font size on three. Print is bold and dark. Perfect reading experience. Makes the screen look really uniform too. No color splotches which I have just faintly when my light level is on a bright level of say 15 or more.
MelissaDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
Parody
Parody began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Transformer Infinity
I'm still getting used to it, but:

0 whenever there's bright enough light to read without the light (or mostly without the light, anyway. :)
5-10 in the dark.
13-18 in light but not enough light to see clearly without the frontlight.
24 to confirm mine doesn't have the varying color blotches others have had. (Whew!)
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am also surprised that users keep it turned down so low. Personally, I like the light and generally have it at 14-16 and turn it down to 10-12 at night with no light.

If I was not going to use the light I probably would still use the Kindle Keyboard. My wife still uses hers and the screen is much better than either the Touch or the Paperwhite. The background is much closer to white than the gray of the Touch and Paperwhite. The only saving grace of the Paperwhite is the front lit feature.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
I am also surprised that users keep it turned down so low. Personally, I like the light and generally have it at 14-16 and turn it down to 10-12 at night with no light.

If I was not going to use the light I probably would still use the Kindle Keyboard. My wife still uses hers and the screen is much better than either the Touch or the Paperwhite. The background is much closer to white than the gray of the Touch and Paperwhite. The only saving grace of the Paperwhite is the front lit feature.
Light strength varies by device. My PW does a significant jump from 8 to 10 and 14. I agree my PW contrasts is pretty poor without the light. My K4B and K3 is much better but the light makes up for it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
It must be a southern hemisphere thing, but in dark rooms I have the level up high, so I can see the screen. In bright rooms or outside it's at its minimum setting.

And yet, going by everyone's posts above, you guys do the opposite...

As for battery life, I've had mine for a week now. I charged it initially. I'm waiting to see how long it can go for before it needs charging. Otherwise, after that I may leave it on max brightness and plug it into the beside charger when not using it.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I now use setting 10 after switching fonts. At night I still use 5-3.

After playing with custom fonts the past two days I have learn the light looks different depending on the font. If it's a skinny font I can use 8 but if it's a font like my Amasis my eyes feel more comfortable with 10.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Wow such low settings 3 and 4 really. Mine is still black at those settings
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote