Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #76
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
It would be important to also mention what *NOT* to change:
- screen size is fine (instead create a different line for bigger screens like 8 or 10 inch)
- runtime (ensure that runtime doesn't drop too much due to faster CPU, etc)
- robust construction

That being said, my main hardware complaint is navigation:
- better navigation buttons (easier to press)
- better positioning
- mobe buttons for main things like page turns and scrolling

In particular, given the small screen for some content such as PDF there is a lot of scrolling involved when zooming in. I would like a better analog scroll control. Instead of using fixed scroll steps, use a scroll wheel for analog input of any magnitude scroll. Not sure how it would be imlpemented. Perhaps waiting for a scroll wheel to stop then scroll that much, or something like that.

Anyway, better buttons for page turns and scroll wheel for menus and scrolling when zoomed.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #77
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Cost would be minimal yes, but the resulting increase in height and weight of the device it self would make this option a "no-go" IMHO.
Well USB plug is not much thicker than the reader itself. It could simply rest at one of the edges, like a little nook at the bottom. I don't think it would add too much to the overall dimensions if done in a smart way.

P.S.: We have to carry this cable along anyway. You never know when you need to sync content and I am leery of pulling SD card our too often. Many PCs don't even have a SD slot.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #78
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
I'd like it to be small, lite and minimal like the gen3, but with touch screen (I'd like to be able to "take notes") and more ergonomic buttons.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #79
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
making sure, whilst all this is going on.....that Gen3 continues to receive its due support.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #80
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
I would love to see the possibility to use a bluetooth keyboard.
There is no need for touchscreen/onboard keyboard if you can connect with a bluetooth keyboard and start typing notes and annotations.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #81
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
What "I" would like in a new Cybook (Gen4) ?

I really don't think my next eBook Reader will be from bookeen at all.

I'm not totally dissatisfied with the gen3, but after one year there is still no folder support, which was already in discussion at the time I bought the gen3. I think that tells you something about the quality of customer support and firmware development.

I feel no immediate pressure to buy a new reader at all, but I certainly won't stick to the gen3 when a new better device shows up.

A new device should have at least:
- Folder support
- Faster screen
- Colour or more greyscales
- Good PDF support
- Support of ePub and other eBook formats
- designed for comfortable left- and right-handed operation

Other nice to have features would be:
- touchscreen (virtual keyboard)
- annotation of Text and export to PC

Not really needed features:
- WLAN, Bluetooth, G3 Access for buying/downloading books
- MP3 player or "text to speech"
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #82
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Yup, I also won't be buying at Booken even if their next reader is better than anything else in the world. Not going to support that approach to customer.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #83
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I have to third that. I'm also not completely dissatisfied with cybook, but as someone already stated here on MR, it's a banana product, ripening at the customer. It's sad that at the end of its marketing life cycle when it's being surpassed with new generation of eink readers it might finally have all the features it should have had when it first came on the market. And that's also not given, I expect a lot from the upcoming FW update, though I have this hunch that I might be dissapointed.
My next reader is probably going to be the PlasticLogic, mostly because I like the idea of a 10" screen.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #84
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I have to third that. I'm also not completely dissatisfied with cybook, but as someone already stated here on MR, it's a banana product, ripening at the customer. It's sad that at the end of its marketing life cycle when it's being surpassed with new generation of eink readers it might finally have all the features it should have had when it first came on the market. And that's also not given, I expect a lot from the upcoming FW update, though I have this hunch that I might be dissapointed.
My next reader is probably going to be the PlasticLogic, mostly because I like the idea of a 10" screen.
I like the forthcoming BeBook 2. 3G, touchscreen, better paging controls. :-)

Although there's nothing actually "preventing" Bookeen from coming out with a 3G/TS/Dual-sided-paging device in 10" size, now, is there?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #85
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Although there's nothing actually "preventing" Bookeen from coming out with a 3G/TS/Dual-sided-paging device in 10" size, now, is there?
So that I have to go through this waiting-for-new-update experience again? No, thank you.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #86
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
better pdf, epub, NO touchscreen (retain clarity of screen) different sizes, slick design in terms of using all potential screen real estate and keeping screen near edge of the device, wifi/3g options in premium product.
that is all !
could care less about mp3
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I like the forthcoming BeBook 2. 3G, touchscreen, better paging controls. :-)

But a 10" device wouldn't be a "replacement" for a Gen3 - it would be aimed at a completely different market. A device with a 10" screen is NOT a portable fiction reader, like the Gen3 is. One of the several reasons I sold my iLiad is that even the 8" screen of the iLiad made it too big to comfortably carry around, as I do my Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #88
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But a 10" device wouldn't be a "replacement" for a Gen3 - it would be aimed at a completely different market.
Yes, exactly so.

I think there will always be a market (likely a growing one) for small readers like the Cybook -- without keyboards, wifi/3G, touch screens, etc.

Work needs to continue on useful features, format support, and reliability.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #89
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes, exactly so.

I think there will always be a market (likely a growing one) for small readers like the Cybook -- without keyboards, wifi/3G, touch screens, etc.

Work needs to continue on useful features, format support, and reliability.
I agree with both you and Harry. There will ALWAYS be a market for a 6" reader. I guess what I was asking for was for Bookeen to release both a 6" AND 10" versions of the next model. If they gave them 3G support, touchscreen, more memory, better folder support, better HTML/RTF/ePub support and all the rest, I'd certainly buy one of each.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The plastic screen substrates which are due to become available late this year should drastically improve the "durability" of eInk devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, cybook, gen4