Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Nice rechargeable booklight

I picked up this booklight from B&N for about $25. Its flat clip actually slides down between the cover and the ebook reader (I have a Sony 650) and the 6 LEDs put a clear bright glare-free light on the whole screen for easy reading even in a completely dark room. I'm not crazy about the clamp - it is shaped in such a way that if you do use it clamped on any book, including an eReader, the back side sticks out - but since I'm not clamping it, that is no problem. I just leave the clip closed and slide it down behind my reader. AND it is rechargeable - which makes it very lightweight and very sensible. A review can be seen here, which also shows the recharging base - it recharges through a USB port.
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/prot...mart-booklight

Disclaimer: I have no association with B&N or with Protocol - just think it is a handy gadget that might interest others.
Pics - first on left shows the reader from the back, with the light inserted. Second from the front, and then a couple to try to show it in use - those are hard pictures to take! It looks more glarey and uneven in the camera than it does in person.
Glare may depend on the screen of the eReader you have so YMMV.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	72498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	72499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	72500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	72501  
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting. Do you have to have a particular type of ereader or is it useable with any type of ereader?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Thanks for the information. I really like that it's rechargeable. I'm going to have to purchase one these things.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
lame, I prefer the adjustable backlight from my device for a good bedtime read.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Can't be that good if you've only managed 2 books out of your 100/year target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
lame, I prefer the adjustable backlight from my device for a good bedtime read.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Nice. An alternative to the mightybright travelflex.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Interesting. Do you have to have a particular type of ereader or is it useable with any type of ereader?
I would imagine it would work with any ereader that has an opening sort of down the middle between the cover and the reader. You can see how it is inserted in my pictures. I don't think it depends so much on the reader, as it depends on the cover and how it fastens on, since the light doesn't fasten to anything, it just slides down between the reader and the cover. The piece that slides in is 1 9/16" wide, and 1/4" thick, and (as I've learned) it can be taken apart so it isn't a clip but just a straight flat piece, if you don't want it that thick.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Can't be that good if you've only managed 2 books out of your 100/year target...
yes, I've updated the count. It's a known problem: when you bring along with you a huge library instead of a just one book, you tend to zap back and forth between them.

Also, I've been reading many short stories, and the rules for that target only allow for complete 100+ pages books.

another problem is that I've been reading mostly during bus rides.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Do you have a B&N link for the light?

I tested a single LED light and the results left a lot to be desired. With 6 LEDs this should work out well. Rechargeable is a strong plus.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I was thinking about this one too. Here's the link
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Looks like an interesting design. For myself I've been extremely pleased with the Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex 2 LED Booklight. I already have 2 sets of rechargeable AAA batteries so I just rotate them through the light.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I was thinking about this one too. Here's the link
Thanks Purple Lady.

When I did a google search for "B&N book light" I came up with this. Not what I was looking for, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
Looks like an interesting design. For myself I've been extremely pleased with the Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex 2 LED Booklight. I already have 2 sets of rechargeable AAA batteries so I just rotate them through the light.
I take it that 2 LEDs must be a much better than the single LED that I tried a year or so ago.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
I take it that 2 LEDs must be a much better than the single LED that I tried a year or so ago.
I don't know which other model you may have tried but the newer generation LED along with the nice diffusion lens make for a well controlled light that I find very usable. When the batteries are fresh having both LED light on can be a little too bright so I often use "single LED" mode.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self

Thanks, I'll have to look into it again. When I last tried one (a single LED) it didn't light up the full reader screen very well.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
rleguillow
Always Reading

Follow up report

Well, not so good after all. I find after a couple of weeks that the lights seem to be dim, even freshly recharged. The two leds on the right side are dimmer than the rest, but the whole thing now does not provide enough light to read on my porch in the dawn (not even completely dark conditions) and I'm once again looking for a good book light.

Sigh.