Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #841
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
bug report

quoted from duokan.com
Quote:
Dear users,

We are trying to collecting your feedback with the Mailbox: kindleuser@duokan.com . It will be better, if you provide some Data (books, Environments). If you follow the format, We can Category the bugs and fixed sooner.

Title: [Problem Description,Issue title or questions]
Version: [ver. Number]
Repeat steps:
a. ...
b. ...
c. ...
Frequency:
everyday, everytime, every week, occasionally, disappear after restart

Thanks for your help. We will response your issue ASAP.

-Best, DuoKan Development Team.

Last edited by thomass; 09-05-2011 at 08:07 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #842
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
d
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I think that your problem is related with the 3.2 .1 On official site of the duokan, there is a thread for this. see:http://goo.gl/BQSK1 (a possible solution).
Also look at:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=824

Like this one a launchpad installer may work for you too. For example unzip duokanli.zip to your launchpad folder then execute ( by first shift shift space then shift F D ) ( I should say that I didn't try this command before.)

EDIT:If you still search for a solution to install Dlite on 3.2.1 I think dkliteinstall-ini.zip might be: (line 448-458 of DK_Sytem/install/rundk.sh )Just unzip file to your launchpad then first execute shift shift space than shift D I. (again the same warning: I didn't try this before)
Thomass
Thank you for your work to solve this. However before I saw this, I have reset the Kindle to factory default. Duokan Lite then installed with first try. I now have to put back on all the hacks I had...

I too am interested in finding a quick way to go between Kindle OS and Duokan Lite. Have you solved this?

Also is there a way to upgrade Duokan Lite with a new version when this is available without removing Jailbreak and other hacks? Doing a factory reset each time is not an elegant way. A query relating to this: I noticed in the folders of the .zip archive for Duokan Lite, there are 2 folders with .bin files. I used the folder with the larger files (a guess) for a new install which worked. I wonder if the other folder is for an upgrade from the previous version? Also will this update work with Jailbreak and hacks installed? Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by pdagenius; 09-06-2011 at 11:05 AM.
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #843
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdagenius View Post
I have reset the Kindle to factory default. Duokan Lite then installed with first try. I now have to put back on all the hacks I had...
I'm happy to see that you installed it.

Quote:
I too am interested in finding a quick way to go between Kindle OS and Duokan Lite. Have you solved this?
the duokan.ini works on my kindle (3.1) without any problemwhen I boot Kindle on KindleOS.

Quote:
Also is there a way to upgrade Duokan Lite with a new version when this is available without removing Jailbreak and other hacks? Doing a factory reset each time is not an elegant way.
there is a way: settings >check update

Quote:
A query relating to this: I noticed in the folders of the .zip archive for Duokan Lite, there are 2 folders with .bin files. I used the folder with the larger files (a guess) for a new install which worked. I wonder if the other folder is for an upgrade from the previous version? Also will this update work with Jailbreak and hacks installed? Has anyone tried this?
files with larger size(131kb) are for 3.2 and files with size 2kb are for 3.1 . (I used this 2kb files to install DLite on firm 3.1)

You can ask to tracy2011 As far as I know Tracy is a member of the Duokan Team.

Last edited by thomass; 09-13-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #844
pdagenius
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm happy to see that you installed it.

the duokan.ini work on my kindle without any problemwhen I boot Kindle on KindleOS.

there is a way: settings >check update

Appereantly I misunderstood their purpose Sorry for that. (I'll correct the previous posts) You can ask to tracy2011 As far as I know Tracy is a part of Duokan Team.
Ok, great some more things to try. Will report back, but will be tomorrow now.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #845
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Also is there a way to upgrade Duokan Lite with a new version when this is available without removing Jailbreak and other hacks? Doing a factory reset each time is not an elegant way.
When I look over rundk.sh; I realize that if we just erase the previous DK_Sytem and place the new one; Duokan will install it on the next start of duokan lite. (installation part begins at 448 and boot line is on 465.)
In other words; if you installed a previou version of Duokan Lite before
to install a new release :
0. boot Kindle on KindleOS
1. erase the previous Dk_system
2.place new DK_System
3 restart and boot on Duokan Lite

not so sure about this method. I will try this on the next release and write the results...

EDIT: I couldn't wait, and try
Results: Indeed it works,(at least on 3.1)
(To install Duokan lite on a kindle , if you installed one previously, replacing the DK_System folder (and reboot and choose Duokan Lite on boot screen) is sufficient.

also to change the dual boot option to boot KindleOS as default OS after restart, ;I changed 120. and 121.st line of S79switch (before installation)
Code:
				 			echo lite System
							SwitchToLite
to:
Code:
				 			echo kindle System
				 			SwitchToKindle
then it worked.

Last edited by thomass; 09-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #846
pdagenius
Enthusiast

Quote:

(To install Duokan lite on a kindle , if you installed one previously, replacing the DK_System folder (and reboot and choose Duokan Lite on boot screen) is sufficient.
When you did this, did you still have Jailbreak and other hacks installed?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #847
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
When you did this, did you still have Jailbreak and other hacks installed?
Yes, I've just deleted Dk_System folder and replace new one without uninstalling any hack.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #848
pdagenius
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, I've just deleted Dk_System folder and replace new one without uninstalling any hack.
That's really great news and I will try it when the new version of DUokan Lite comes out.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #849
thomass
Wizard

Lite0909.855.1550.rtm released
(mirror)

Quote:
Monday is a Mid-Autumn Festival! ! ! Come take a look at what this year look to send - [Mid-stable] updated software! Without it kindle the festival, how it? Come let your books are put on Mid-Autumn Festival with the equipment it! This week, the update package which will increase the "good mood and the festival," this topic, please see their own hands after the upgrade to see more of lite version of the oh O (∩ _ ∩)

This week update:

Improvements:
1 Now, using next page button is sufficient both to scroll down and turn page while using fit to width option for pdf.
2 pdf file in landscape mode, the width of the screen will automatically adaptive

Fix the problem:
1 Fixed some epub file open crash problem
2 fixed electricity use during the occasional problem of empty
3 fixes the memory leak problems and improve system stability
4. Fixed PDF intelligent layout, the double A menu operation does not save the problem
5. Repair due to compression of a picture package failed to open after damage, can not open this issue archive
uninstalling Duokan Lite (version: lite909) has a risk of bricking, please do not use the uninstallers: http://translate.googleusercontent.c...SC-gLxZppGy9Uw

On the current version, music player is disabled because of a bug. You can use kinamp (runs on both OSs).
You can report bugs to Duokan team : see this post

How to install Duokan Lite:

Spoiler:

Updating an already installed Duokan Lite to the new version:
Spoiler:
No need to use upgrade packages; just delete DK_System folder and copy the new one. And restart Kindle, choose Duokan Lite on boot screen.

To install for the first time:
Spoiler:
1- uninstall jailbreak
2- choose update files according to this:
Spoiler:
(files with larger size(131kb) are for 3.2 and files with size 2kb are for 3.1)

3- copy Dk_Sytem and update files
4- update and restart to Duokan(choose Q on boot screen)

(If your Kindle has firmware 3.2.1 then you might need to reset your kindle to factory default before each attempt (see this post)

Optional:

To switch between Duokan and Kindle quickly (without a reboot):
Spoiler:
unzip duokan-ini.zip to your launchpad folder.(works only when you start the Kindle on Kindle OS) ^D S to switch to Duokan and ^ D X to switch back to Kindle.
This method useful if you want to use Duokan to read pdf files. this method fails in other cases. If you want to use it for epub then start Duokan on boot screen. (Alternatively you can use fbreader to read epub)
Also look at to this post

To change the dual boot option to boot KindleOS as default OS after restart:
Spoiler:
change 120. and 121.st line of DK_System/intall/S79switch (before installation)
Code:
				 			echo lite System
							SwitchToLite
to:
Code:
				 			echo kindle System
				 			SwitchToKindle
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lite0909.855.1550.rtm.zip (15.45 MB, 1218 views)

Last edited by thomass; 09-17-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #850
pdagenius
Enthusiast

Quote:
Lite0909.855.1550.rtm released
(mirror)

On the current version, music player is disabled because of a bug. You can use kinamp (runs on both OSs).
You can report bugs to Duokan team : see this post

How to install Duokan Lite:

Spoiler:

Updating an already installed Duokan Lite to the new version:
Spoiler:
No need to use upgrade packages; just delete DK_System folder and copy the new one. And restart Kindle, choose Duokan Lite on boot screen. (at leeast works on the firmware 3.1)(Alternatively you can update online by settings> check update)

To install for the first time:
Spoiler:
1- uninstall jailbreak
2- copy Dk_Sytem and update files with larger sizes
3- update and restart to Duokan(choose Q on boot screen)

(If your Kindle has firmware 3.2.1 then you might need to reset your kindle to factory default before each attempt (see this post)

Optional:

To switch between Duokan and Kindle quickly (without a reboot):
Spoiler:
unzip duokan-ini.zip to your launchpad folder.(works only when you start the Kindle on Kindle OS) ^D S to switch to Duokan and ^ D X to switch back to Kindle.
This method useful if you want to use Duokan to read pdf files. this method fails in other cases. If you want to use it for epub then start Duokan on boot screen. (Alternatively you can use fbreader to read epub)

To change the dual boot option to boot KindleOS as default OS after restart:
Spoiler:
change 120. and 121.st line of DK_System/intall/S79switch (before installation)
Code:
				 			echo lite System
							SwitchToLite
to:
Code:
				 			echo kindle System
				 			SwitchToKindle
Thank you for the heads up on the update.

I tried the update from within Duokan Lite first however it said I was already up to date with no updates available - which was not the case.

I then replaced the DK_System folder and it did just what you said - great! The language was reset to Chinese (easy fix with the Settings menu) and also the battery status seems to be reset to empty. More resets and switch to Kindle OS and back don't make any difference to the battery indication.

So not sure if this is due the build of Duokan Lite or just the way I updated it?

Last edited by pdagenius; 09-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #851
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for the heads up on the update.

I tried the update from within Duokan Lite first however it said I was already up to date with no updates available - which was not the case.

I then replaced the DK_System folder and it did just what you said - great! The language was reset to Chinese (easy fix with the Settings menu) and also the battery status seems to be reset to empty. More resets and switch to Kindle OS and back don't make any difference to the battery indication.

So not sure if this is due the build of Duokan Lite or just the way I updated it?
see post 22 on this page, Duokan still has this problem. I saw the blank icon once, However when I reboot and load Duokan battery icon showed the battery level.

However, quick switching from inside Kindle via launchpad doesn't load Duokan Lite conpletely. It needs improvement. You can check this by opening an ePub book. (For my case, the texts inside epub are not visible when I using quick swiching. )

Could you restart Kindle, choose Duokan on boot screen and then switch to Kindle using System menu. Then Switch to Duokan using launchpad.
Is it still looks empty when loaded on boot screen or when using launchpad?

The atached script loads Duokan more completely. However turning back to Kindle available only through the option: Settings>Switch to Kindle. (and takes longer time)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Doukan Loader2.zip (1.0 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by thomass; 09-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #852
pdagenius
Enthusiast

Quote:
see post 22 on
Could you restart Kindle, choose Duokan on boot screen and then switch to Kindle using System menu. Then Switch to Duokan using launchpad.
Is it still looks empty when loaded on boot screen or when using launchpad?
Whatever I do I get the blank icon.

I like the quick switching of your first method. This is very easy and makes it a very useful tool for .pdf files. I don't have any epub docs at the moment.

I can live without battery indication when in Duokan for the moment. It was there in the last release so I expect it will be back in a later one.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #853
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I like the quick switching of your first method. This is very easy and makes it a very useful tool for .pdf files.
Actually wolfchimneyrock posted these scripts. Thanks to him for these scripts. They are really useful tools to use Duokan Lite in an efficient way.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #854
Architec of Drea
Architec of Drea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Im kinda new into this and I just have one simple question: is it possible to install Duokan with firmware 3.2.1?

Last edited by Architec of Drea; 09-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Architec of Drea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #855
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architec of Drea View Post
Im kinda new into this and I just have one simple question: is it possible to install Duokan with firmware 3.2.1?
yes,it's possible: see this post

How to install:
  1. backup your all files in your Kindle
  2. Reset to factory default (menu>setings>menu>reset to factory defaults)
  3. follow the steps on this post