Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #46
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Hrm, well I guess Ill go check the Target up the street from where I work just to see the 505 in person.

[Offtopic: Is there a light for the 500 that fits over the screen and front lights it completely?]
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #47
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I think it only fits the 505. Think I saw somewhere on the forum someone trying it with a 500 and screen placement on the 500 is a little different.
Correct. (That someone was me! )Even if you tried to velcro the 500 to the back of the 505 light cover, it would not fit. The light wedge cannot lie over the 500's screen.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #48
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Just got back from checking the local SuperTarget (the one with a grocery store). They have the display as outlined above.

-One working display. $299 Fixed to the display so I couldn't pick it up. It had ten books on it and worked just fine switching between books and pages. I did a count of 1...2 and the page was up before I said two.
-Three readers in packages ready to buy.
-spindles of $50, $15, and Service Plan cards
-5 Book Cover with the Lights
-5 AC Adapters
-3 Memory Sticks dual pros
-1 Burgandy soft case and bag
-3 noise cancelling headphones $49.99
-6 noise cancelling headphones $20.99

I had it to myself to check out. No one else around.

Looks much slimmer than I remember the display at the other Target store several months ago.

I'm still waiting for the Astak before I make a decision.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #49
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Great report and thanks. As for the headphones I believe this is just fluff for Sony and Target. From the reports that I read the device is kind of useless for listing to audio mostly due to the software controls. I have never attempted to use the device for audio. I hope that nobody buys the unit with the priority of listing to audio because they may be sorry. If this is the case there may be a abnormal amount of returns which I would hate to see.

If sony were wise they probably should have kept the audio accessories (headphones) separate, and just list the capabilities on the display literature stuff. At least this is how I would have done things. Having the headphones on display takes the device into the area of competing MP3 players which Target also sale.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #50
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Just got back from checking the local SuperTarget (the one with a grocery store). They have the display as outlined above.

-One working display. $299 Fixed to the display so I couldn't pick it up. It had ten books on it and worked just fine switching between books and pages. I did a count of 1...2 and the page was up before I said two.
-Three readers in packages ready to buy.
-spindles of $50, $15, and Service Plan cards
-5 Book Cover with the Lights
-5 AC Adapters
-3 Memory Sticks dual pros
-1 Burgandy soft case and bag
-3 noise cancelling headphones $49.99
-6 noise cancelling headphones $20.99

I had it to myself to check out. No one else around.

Looks much slimmer than I remember the display at the other Target store several months ago.

I'm still waiting for the Astak before I make a decision.
Do you remember how much the soft case and bag was?
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #51
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Do you remember how much the soft case and bag was?
I think it was $39 for the soft bag. And more like $59 for the cover w/light. But I really didn't pay too much attention to that.

Sorry
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Maybe a loving daughter can e-mail her a text file every month.
My mother-in-law has a 500. She lives in Scotland. But I have remote access to her computer and we have Skype setup with webcams. So what I do is help her with her eBooks. I can access her computer to transfer the eBooks to her computer and talk her through what she needs help with. It's actually a very easy process.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #53
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Well ours has one. They only seemed to have 1 or 2 of everything.

Not impressed enough to trade in my 500.
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #54
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
My target had the croc style cover and pouch. Here are some pictures. Very nice looking. A burgundy color with black inside. I like it better than the leather covers from SONY which I just returned one because the color was a bit boring and the case wouldn't close very well. No problems closing this case and the added pouch is nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	16330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	16331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	16332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	16333  
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 AM   #55
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the pictures, lisreed!! The cover and bag look great. Now if a Target near me would just get it in stock and out on display so I could buy it!

Is it leather or synthetic?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #56
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Its synthetic. That was the last one on display too so I was glad I was able to get one today. I like the stock case pretty well but like the feel of the inside of this case better and it offers a bit more protection.

Lisa
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #57
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Last one? So are they selling well, or just low stock?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #58
lisreed
Addict

I think selling well. My husband had seen the display on Monday and it had a full amount of those cases and on Wednesday night when I picked mine up it was the last one . They constantly seem to run out of black cases at my Borders too.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #59
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I checked a Target in NH yesterday, and they said they had them in stock, but needed to replace an endcap to get the display up. They thought they'd have that done by the end of this week. The first employee I spoke with was clueless, but she immediately referred me to a second employee, who was at least familiar with the plan, and offered to check stock for me right then. (I explained that I already had one but was checking for a friend. That would be you lot. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #60
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Finally found the croc cover and pouch. I visited my third Target in five days and actually saw the display--very nice looking. Unfortunately they hadn't gotten the case in yet but the very helpful clerk located on for me............. at the first Target I had visited Sunday that didn't know what a Sony Reader was. It was the last one they had so I had them hold it for me. Two other San Diego stores had 3 each but both stores are a good half hour drive away.

Tags
duck!, puppy!