Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
An Article on the Sony Reader in the Daily Mail

This appeared today in the Daily Mail. It's very minimal but again ends on Nick Hornby's scepticism.

I read an article in one of the free London papers yesterday that ended with the same quotes from him.

The section 'A Novel Experience' has the following

But for all it's practicale design, turning a page is slow and cumbersome. Having to press a button to flick to the next page is laborious in our touch-screen technology age.

And although it doesn't have the backlit glare of a PC, It's not easy on the eye.

I wonder if this person has actually used one!
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But for all it's practical design, turning a page is slow and cumbersome. Having to press a button to flick to the next page is laborious in our touch-screen technology age.
Oy vey... How is pushing a button any more difficult than pushing a button on a screen?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Who wants to read from a screen with fingerprints on it? Hardware buttons are much better than touch-screens for eBook readers, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Who wants to read from a screen with fingerprints on it? Hardware buttons are much better than touch-screens for eBook readers, IMHO.
While you could use a stylus (oh no, now I have to carry and pick up a stylus too?), I agree with your general sentiment. I get itchy when my screen has smudges.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have to agree that a touch screen can be a bit of a mess at times.

I just got a N800 recently, and Keeping the screen clean has been a chore, especially as I don't like to use the stylus unless i really have to, and this is a backlit screen. On a e-inks screen, this amount of fingerprints would be maddening.

And back to the original article, I have to agree, how is pushing a button more work then flipping a page or even touching a touch screen. Its in fact more work, I've found on the n800 (using it as an example), to press on the screen, then to just press one of the hardware buttons.

Sheesh! the author need to get his head out of 2001! A Space oddessy and their data pads
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Thanks for picking this up.

What with this and the Telegraph article, it appears that the Waterstones and Sony PR engine is getting going. Strangely this article reads like the journalist has actually played with a device. I may think some of the reasons against the device are silly, but at least they've said something (would have been nice a positive or two had been found).

It would be nice if the journalists could speak with people who actually like these devices to get a balanced view. Are there any journalists reading this site?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:28 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I favour voice activated page turning. Imagine how impressed people will be as you're sat on your deck chair at the beach using your e-book reader, periodically shouting "TURN!" as the waves lap at your feet. King Canute for the 21st century.
And then there's this...

"I'm counting on you to tell me when to turn."
"Okay. Turn."
"No don't turn!"
"But you just said!"
"I know, but I was talking to my book... Turn!"
"Fine, but would you please just concen..."
"No I meant turn! Turn!"
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
But for all it's practicale design, turning a page is slow and cumbersome. Having to press a button to flick to the next page is laborious in our touch-screen technology age.
It's definitely much more laborious to turn pages in a paper book... or in a newspaper!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
Having to press a button to flick to the next page is laborious in our touch-screen technology age.
WOW! I thought I didn't like exercise!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote