Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #61
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not talking about redundent code. I'm talking about tidying up the messy code left behind in Word. Is that handled? I've seen Calibre conversions of Word and they are a mess. Not because of Calibre, but because of Word.
EpubSTAR do not "tidying up the messy code" in the Word document , because not using the "Save to the HTML". The EPUB generated by EpubSTAR is clean without any "messy code".

Perhaps the the following attached pictures help you intuitively understand how EpubSTAR generates clean code.
DOCandEPUB.rar

Click image for larger version

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB2s.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	99679

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB3.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	99680

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB4.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	99681

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB5.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	99682

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB6.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	99683

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB7.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	99684

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB8.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	99685

Name:	EpubSTAR 2.6.2 Word-to-EPUB9.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	99686
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #62
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Oxen,

Could you please, send us an epub file created with ES?

Any text (full or in part) in the public domain in Canada would do the trick I think.

So we could look at the html code and css created by ES.

I think it would suit and please JSWolf and perhaps Toxaris .
In #38 and #61 threads's annexes,there are the txt/docx/epub files you need.

Last edited by oxen; 01-19-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #63
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Very nice and clean epub indeed (the DOCandEPUB.rar).

It also looks nice (among others, the <h2> coding)

Thank you for sharing Oxen.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #64
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Very nice and clean epub indeed (the DOCandEPUB.rar).

It also looks nice (among others, the <h2> coding)

Thank you for sharing Oxen.
Thank you. EpubSTAR has be updated to version 2.6.2 today.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #65
oxen
Connoisseur

[EpubSTAR 2.6.2.30120] 2013-01-20 update:
1. Optimized Word-to-the EPUB's non-built-in heading style identify to avoid missing.
2. Fixed Word-to-the EPUB's bug of missing a first letter in English interface.
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #66
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
hi Oxen,
may I have your email?
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #67
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsCream View Post
hi Oxen,
may I have your email?
See PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #68
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
亲爱的牛,被任何进一步发展的EpubStar程序?这似乎是一个精彩的节目,EPUB,像我这样的初学者 。我一直没能得到最新的版本(2.6-1)本主题中的工作,我的系统上,Win7家庭高级版64位,即使我已经照着所有的说明仔细。当我告诉程序 创建的epub文件,Windows消息说,该应用程序已停止工作 - 什么是错的,没有其他指示。发生任何变化,我已经重复此过程约10倍。感谢你的努力!

Dear Oxen, has there been any further development of the EpubStar program? It would seem to be a wonderful program for epub-making beginners like me. I have not been able to get the latest version (2.6-1) available in this topic to work on my system, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, even though I have followed all the instructions carefully. As soon as I tell the program to Create the epub document, a Windows message says that the application has stopped working -- with no other indication as to what is wrong. I have repeated this procedure about 10 times with no variations occurring. Thank you for your efforts!

Frank D

Last edited by frank14612; 04-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not use Calibre? It works.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #70
ondasalfa
ondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheeseondasalfa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle dx
because calibre does not accept doc format, and also because it is good to have more options
ondasalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondasalfa View Post
because calibre does not accept doc format, and also because it is good to have more options
And it's hard to save to RTF because?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi frank14612,

You can find the latest version here: http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/epubstar_cn.html.

I didn't try the last version, but I have had the same problem: not working with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Better than Calibre you can use Apache Open Office with Writer2Xhtml (here http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/). If you don't use AOO it is a big prog to install, but I think it deserve it.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #73
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Smile

Arios,

Thank you very much for your reply! Nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem.

As you suggested, I tried the latest version of epubstar, but got the same results as with the previous version.

However, I now have gotten excellent results from using two very different methods.

First, I used MS Word to create an RTF file of my 4-page test epic, which includes many bullets, screenshots and links. Next, I opened it with Calibre and converted it directly into the EPUB format. It took me a lot of trial-and-error and back-and-forth in Word and Calibre until I got things right, but I finally got it to look good.

Then, after reading your suggestion, above, I downloaded the Writer2Xhtml plugins you recommended and installed them into Open Office (which I already had). I opened my RTF file in OO just as it was at that point, exported it to EPUB, and opened it in Calibre. It was even better than the RTF-to-EPUB! This is definitely the way to go!

I appreciate your recommendation. It saved me a lot of dangerous downloading of shady software and wasted effort.

Frank
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #74
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Glad it works for you!

There are many ways to create epub, but to edit them, you can also take a look at Sigil.

May a little karma be with you!

Last edited by Arios; 04-11-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #75
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank14612 View Post
亲爱的牛,被任何进一步发展的EpubStar程序?这似乎是一个精彩的节目,EPUB,像我这样的初学者 。我一直没能得到最新的版本(2.6-1)本主题中的工作,我的系统上,Win7家庭高级版64位,即使我已经照着所有的说明仔细。当我告诉程序 创建的epub文件,Windows消息说,该应用程序已停止工作 - 什么是错的,没有其他指示。发生任何变化,我已经重复此过程约10倍。感谢你的努力!

Dear Oxen, has there been any further development of the EpubStar program? It would seem to be a wonderful program for epub-making beginners like me. I have not been able to get the latest version (2.6-1) available in this topic to work on my system, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, even though I have followed all the instructions carefully. As soon as I tell the program to Create the epub document, a Windows message says that the application has stopped working -- with no other indication as to what is wrong. I have repeated this procedure about 10 times with no variations occurring. Thank you for your efforts!

Frank D
Thanks for your feedback.

Have you installed MS Word yet?If you want to use the feature of "WORD to
EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required.
http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html

Now, I am committed to the development of version 3, Word to EPUB capabilities will be more powerful.

Tags
epub app, epub application, epubstar, kf8/mobi, mobi