Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
New iPad User Here!

After telling anyone who'd listen how I was so not interested in a tablet (and would probably never own an Apple product unless it was gifted to me!), I held an iPad for the first time yesterday and I was positively Long story short, less than 15 minutes later, I was the owner of a brand new iPad 3 ... still reeling from the shock and all

I downloaded some free apps (Kindle, Bluefire Reader, iBooks, iTunesU, Dropbox) and I bought the GoodReader app. Not too sure how exactly the GoodReader app works but I'll figure it out this weekend. I'm just super-excited to have a device to read my PDF files without having to go through the chore of converting them or reading them on my laptop.

Anyway, first tablet and first Apple product equal lots to learn. So, new forum to lurk at, and a new bunch of people to bug with newbie questions ... oh joy, right?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
The kool-aid DOES taste delicious, doesn't it?

I thought I would never need a reader that had wifi, let alone a tablet. Oh how wrong I was. I carry mine around the house, room to room. I also found multiple chargers were a necessity for me, as I couldn't be parted with it while it was charging.

Congratulations and enjoy!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Welcome to the dark side!

I bought my iPad 1 and 2, primarily to read PDF's, and I haven't looked back. If you plan to read a lot of PDFs, and prehaps scientific ones, I highly recommend that you take a look at Papers (From Mekentosj.com) for Mac/Win and iPad.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
+1 for Papers, its a brilliant app. I have it on my Mac (got it there first) and followed up with the iOS apps. There's another research app called Mendeley, which might also be of use if you are researching.

Apabi seems to handle PDFs equally as well as anything else, too.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
The kool-aid DOES taste delicious, doesn't it?

<SNIP>
Yes, it does, yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Welcome to the dark side!

I bought my iPad 1 and 2, primarily to read PDF's, and I haven't looked back. If you plan to read a lot of PDFs, and prehaps scientific ones, I highly recommend that you take a look at Papers (From Mekentosj.com) for Mac/Win and iPad.
Frankly, I wasn't thinking about PDFs when I grabbed it and started muttering "mine, mine" but it's just awesome the way PDFs are displayed. I have LOTS of PDF files and I can't wait to unearth them and get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
+1 for Papers, its a brilliant app. I have it on my Mac (got it there first) and followed up with the iOS apps. There's another research app called Mendeley, which might also be of use if you are researching.

Apabi seems to handle PDFs equally as well as anything else, too.
Thanks for the recommendation; I looked at Papers but I think GoodReader should suit me fine for now.

I'm going through the User Guide (something I never do!) one section at a time and I just discovered the Dictation feature, which actually understands what I'm saying!! How cool is that?!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Did you know..........(something I stumbled upon recently altho its been around for a while, I"m not the brightest crayon in the box).........

If you have Calibre set up in preferences under "sharing books by email"........

That once you import your book, convert it and do whatever else you need to..........

You can just use the 'connect share' button at the top to email the book to your gmail account and save the step of fishing it out of dropbox?

Adding email accounts to the Ipad is too easy......and once you get the email you simply touch it and it will download and open in Ibooks.

Frickin' awesome device!!!!

Also, try reading in the "sepia" mode......takes a lot of the strain/glare some people feel when reading on a backlit screen.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Did you know..........(something I stumbled upon recently altho its been around for a while, I"m not the brightest crayon in the box).........

If you have Calibre set up in preferences under "sharing books by email"........

That once you import your book, convert it and do whatever else you need to..........

You can just use the 'connect share' button at the top to email the book to your gmail account and save the step of fishing it out of dropbox?

Adding email accounts to the Ipad is too easy......and once you get the email you simply touch it and it will download and open in Ibooks.

Frickin' awesome device!!!!
Great tip!

Quote:
Also, try reading in the "sepia" mode......takes a lot of the strain/glare some people feel when reading on a backlit screen.
How do I get to "sepia" mode?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Great tip!

How do I get to "sepia" mode?
in "Ibooks", when you have a book open, touch the center of the screen.......this brings up options across the top fo the page.

Touch the AA symbol, then touch "theme"

Click on "sepia" and there ya go.

Now touch the center of the screen again and the menu disappears.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
in "Ibooks", when you have a book open, touch the center of the screen.......this brings up options across the top fo the page.

Touch the AA symbol, then touch "theme"

Click on "sepia" and there ya go.

Now touch the center of the screen again and the menu disappears.
Got it, thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
zhanzr
zhanzr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am also a new iPad owner. Similarly, I have told almost every friend that I would never become an apple fan. I am just a victim of the society. When everyone in my circle is talking about the new iPad, I decided to betray myself and fetch a new iPAD from the Apple shop.

Currently, I just occasionally use it to read twitter and facebook. But I am sure I will become a fluent Apple product user, if not necessarily an Apple fan.
zhanzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had my IPad for three weeks and love it. I burn through the battery in two days but most of that time is playing Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride Online. I use the Kindle app because all of my books are from Amazon. It is easy enough to use and works fine. I have heard a lot about Stanza but am not sure how it works and if it will read Mobi books. I can convert easily enough but would prefer to skip the step.

I have to admit to not liking a fair amount about Apple, I held out for two years because of my dislike, but they do make some great products.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have had my IPad for three weeks and love it. I burn through the battery in two days but most of that time is playing Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride Online. I use the Kindle app because all of my books are from Amazon. It is easy enough to use and works fine. I have heard a lot about Stanza but am not sure how it works and if it will read Mobi books. I can convert easily enough but would prefer to skip the step.

I have to admit to not liking a fair amount about Apple, I held out for two years because of my dislike, but they do make some great products.
The Kindle app is my primary one also. I plan to use GoodReader for note-taking on my non-fiction PDF books and articles. I think I'm covered when it comes to reading apps so I don't plan to try Stanza.

The next step is games! I like "word" games and "hidden object" games - any recommendations?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have had my IPad for three weeks and love it. Ithrough the battery in two days but most of that time is playing Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride Online. I use the Kindle app because all of my books are from Amazon. It is easy enough to use and works fine. I have heard a lot about Stanza but am not sure how it works and if it will read Mobi books. I can convert easily enough but would prefer to skip the step.

Stanza doesn't have an iPad version... It's excellent on the iPhone and iPod Touch however! Best iOS reading app IMO... Unfortunately Amazon bought them out and is not going to continue supporting it. No more updates coming and no iPad version either
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I love Stanza but I would not ever recommend it to a new iOS user, its pointless. Actually the last couple of versions are universal so saying there's no iPad version is misleading. There is an iPad version, its just not very good. All they did was increase the resolution and they did not include anything else which would be useful on iPad (two-page layout in lanscape, for example). In spite of that, its not to be recommended, because its on the way out. iOS6 isn't far away and I suspect that's when we will no longer be able to use Stanza at all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
The Kindle app is my primary one also. I plan to use GoodReader for note-taking on my non-fiction PDF books and articles. I think I'm covered when it comes to reading apps so I don't plan to try Stanza.

The next step is games! I like "word" games and "hidden object" games - any recommendations?
Words with friends and Hanging with friends are great word games. I am FlorenceArt there if you want someone to play with

I don't know if it qualifies as a "hidden object" game, but Waking Mars is a great game where you must grow alien lifeforms to open doors and explore caves.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote