Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Supernatural Horror Recommendations

There is already a thread for non supernatural horror . I myself think that such books aren't really horror, and should be called suspense or thriller fiction , but that's just me. To each his own definition.
This thread, however, is for SUPERNATURAL horror. Bring on the undead beasties, the denizens of Hell, and the ancient dread entities now stirring back to life.

Stephen King is the current, well, king of horror. He is prolific and good. I think that his best novel was Pet Semetary. It was so scary that my brother didn't want to finish it, and he is no shrinking violet.
That will do for a start. What are some of your favorites?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
For sure Richard Laymon. He just revels in the evil. You get to the end of one of his books and everyone is dead, eaten by cannibals and you trhink "Aaaahhhh! That was great!". And like King, Laymon does kids well. Especially one with problems :-). My very favorite Laymon is Traveling Vampire Show.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Clive Barker, The Great and Secret Show.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I most recently enjoyed Joe Hill's "Heart-Shaped Box" in this genre.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I most recently enjoyed Joe Hill's "Heart-Shaped Box" in this genre.
I recommend Joe Hill too. I actually thought HSB was a little weak despite some serious creepy spots. His second novel was a lot more original and his short story collection is excellent I think.

I'm also gonna through John Ajvide Lindqvist in there. If you're not sick of vampires (although it's not the main focus of the plot) his first book is phenomenal. He's also got a new one coming out soon.

I also always recommend Stephen King's most overlooked work From a Buick 8. Love that one.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaza View Post
I also always recommend Stephen King's most overlooked work From a Buick 8. Love that one.
My roommate is also a King fan and detests that book. I'm not sure I'd rank it near the top of his works, but I enjoyed it very much, probably more for the characters and setting than the horror aspects.

Aside from King and Lovecraft, I can't think of much horror I've read in the last ten years, and aside from those two and early Clive Barker, I can't think of any that I'd recommend, except maybe World War Z. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is comedy/horror (com-ror!), but definitely more of the former than the latter (I laughed my ass off repeatedly reading that book).

I'll try to remember Joe Hill next time I'm feeling the horror bug.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I know we are talking about books here, but, by your definition, a film like Halloween or Psycho or the Exorcist, wouldn't be horror?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I know we are talking about books here, but, by your definition, a film like Halloween or Psycho or the Exorcist, wouldn't be horror?
I haven't seen Halloween, but didn't Michael Meyers come back from the dead a lot? And I'm fairly certain 360° neck rotation is considered supernatural even if you're Catholic, soooo:
  1. supernatural horror (unless I'm mistaken and it was a plain old psychopath)
  2. psychological thriller
  3. supernatural horror
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Brite
Hell House by Richard Matheson
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Legion by William Peter Blatty
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Jonathan Maberry is an author who successfully combines horror with other genres.

His "Ghost Road Blues" trilogy is straight ahead monster/horror. I thought it was long but worth reading. "Rot & Ruin" is a zombie/coming-of-age mashup. His Joe Ledger series ("Patient Zero") is sort of a military thriller/horror combination.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Yes, you are mistaken. The first Halloween had ZERO elements of the supernatural. The sequels (which are garbage), are a different story. Psycho (often listed as one of the great horror films of all time) is by ANYONE'S definition, a Horror film, and, once again, doesn't have a single supernatural element to it.

Not looking to pick a fight but, when the OP says that unless it has supernatural elements to it, he doesn't consider it a "horror," I'm obligated to point out the obvious error in definition (of horror).
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Dean Koontz.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Oh man, that book is horrifying. I wish they could figure out a way to format it in an ebook already.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
If you could go for something weird and cerebral you might like The Angels' Game by Zafon.

I also loved Ghost Story by Straub. Favorite Barker is still Imajica.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
andreaaaaaa
andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.andreaaaaaa is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: prs650, prsT2
All time favourite is King's IT

then I am legend by Matheson, The shining by King, Barker's short fiction series Books of blood

then again Hell house by Matheson, Ring by Koji Suzuki, the Hellboud Heart by Barker
andreaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote