Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
This thread had my wife and I watching the entire Firefly series and the Serenity movie over spring break last week, very fun I hadn't watched them in a couple years.
Shiny!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I can highly recommend Brust's My Kind of Freedom.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #33
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
YTou could try;

Spinward Fringe series - Randolf Lalonde
Vatta's War - Elizabeth Moon
The Lost Fleet - John Campbell
A Galaxy of heroes - Gus Flory
Starship - Mike Resnick

Plenty more
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #34
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
This thread had my wife and I watching the entire Firefly series and the Serenity movie over spring break last week, very fun I hadn't watched them in a couple years.
My wife and I also re-watched the whole Firefly series over the past year, and enjoyed it as much as the first time around. I'm very happy we bought the DVD box set.

I will definitely read Steven Brust's Firefly novel in the near future.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some others you might like:

Jim Butcher - the Dresden files : Adventures of the only public wizard working in Chicago (No - he does not do kids parties). Adventurous and snarky writing like Joss Wheadon. If you get the AudioBook versions - James Marsters (Spike) narrates.

Glen Cook - "Sweet Silver Blues" - start of a series of books that is like mixing Sam Spade detective novels with Tolken. Busty red-heads, trolls as enforcers, lots of beer.

Julie Kenner - "Deja Demon: The Days and Nights of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom" - Almost as if Buffy grew up, retired, had kids but suddenly had to deal with Demons in her town. Not as cute/witty as Joss Wheadon, but interesting. Looks like the series has grown to 4 books but she also has some others as well.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Some others you might like:
Julie Kenner - "Deja Demon: The Days and Nights of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom" - Almost as if Buffy grew up, retired, had kids but suddenly had to deal with Demons in her town. Not as cute/witty as Joss Wheadon, but interesting. Looks like the series has grown to 4 books but she also has some others as well.
Deja Demon is book #4 out of 5. Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom is this first one.

I really like the Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series. It is a lot of fun.

Here is a list of the series to date.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I'm looking for books that embody the spirit of the Firefly TV series: fun, lots of action, set in space, with some humor, and not too much science.

Any recommendations?
Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series.

Does not contain the "wild west" aspects of Firefly, but definitely has all the others and the science fiction is not intrusive. I recommend starting with The Warrior's Apprentice or the omnibus Young Miles which includes "Warrior's.."

(Edited to add...) D'oh. It appears I'm waaay late and Bujold has already been thoroughly recommended. Going back to reading through the other recommendations to add to my Wish List.

Last edited by hrynkiw; 04-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #38
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
edited: BOb brought up a good point below. I've removed the cover while I ask the artist for permission.

edit #2: I heard back from LastDarkAutumn, and he's cool with me posting the cover, so I've re-attached it to this post.

---

Thanks to this thread I've just downloaded My Own Kind of Freedom. I noticed there wasn't much of a cover there, so I made one myself - such as it is. I've attached it to this post in case anyone wants it.

Thanks.

Oh, and credit goes to LastDarkAutumn of DeviantArt for the background image. It would've looked kinda goofy to include the credit right on the image, but hopefully this is better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOKOF.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	70567  

Last edited by Astrakan; 04-27-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrakan View Post
Thanks to this thread I've just downloaded My Own Kind of Freedom. I noticed there wasn't much of a cover there, so I made one myself - such as it is. I've attached it to this post in case anyone wants it.

Thanks.

Oh, and credit goes to LastDarkAutumn of DeviantArt for the background image. It would've looked kinda goofy to include the credit right on the image, but hopefully this is better than nothing.
Nice.. but I am curious... what is the copyright policy of this art work? I see a d/l link on the site. Would you need permission to use this cover?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #40
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nice.. but I am curious... what is the copyright policy of this art work? I see a d/l link on the site. Would you need permission to use this cover?

BOb
I honestly have no idea. Considering I'm not charging for it I would imagine it's a fair use thing, but I'm no expert. I've removed it for now, while I check with the artist if it's cool that I use it.

Last edited by Astrakan; 04-21-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Thanks, everyone, for continuing to update the thread with ideas. I read two of the Star Trek books. They were very enjoyable-exactly what I was looking for.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for continuing to update the thread with ideas. I read two of the Star Trek books. They were very enjoyable-exactly what I was looking for.
Cool... which ones did you read, if you don't mind my nose sticking in your business?

BOb
Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #43
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My business is the only place I'll let you stick your nose

I read Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday by Crispin. I'm not sure which one to try next. Since it's only taking me a coupe of days to reach of them, I thought about just starting at TOS #1 and going up from there.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My business is the only place I'll let you stick your nose

I read Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday by Crispin. I'm not sure which one to try next. Since it's only taking me a coupe of days to reach of them, I thought about just starting at TOS #1 and going up from there.
That'll work. Just keep in mind, some are better than others. But, as you say, most of them are very quick reads.

What I would suggest, if you want is to read the Captains Table ones. IIRC those were all quite good.

http://www.librarything.com/series/S...527s%252BTable

BOb
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #45
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That'll work. Just keep in mind, some are better than others. But, as you say, most of them are very quick reads.

What I would suggest, if you want is to read the Captains Table ones. IIRC those were all quite good.

http://www.librarything.com/series/S...527s%252BTable

BOb
Thanks! I'm checking Amazon right now...