Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Developer Community?

Hi,

I consider buying the new Kindle because of the great display and its price, but I heard it's a very closed system
So my question is, are there active developers who try to write firmware mods and remove restrictions (e.g. country restrictions) of this device? Or is it simply not possible on the Kindle?
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The country restrictions are done at the point of sale, not on the device.

It is not designed to be an open system. There have been a few hacks developed for the Kindle, but nothing major.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
[Moved to Kindle Developer's corner]

I recall Amazon announcing and SDK for the Kindle. So, it can't be too closed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Nothing much has been heard about the SDK in a while. Also, it was restricted to only add-on functions, and would not allow changing the normal functions of the Kindle. Most of the stuff people said they wanted to implement would require integration/replacement of base functionality.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Heh, I didn't see the developers section. Kernel compiling, many hacks and mods.. seems that the Kindle isn't as close as I thought
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you're interested you can sign up to be a Beta Developer for Kindle Apps.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
There is no such thing as a "closed" system. Any system that you can get control of or own (such as a device like the Kindle) is not a "closed" system anymore. It's just become "open". I bought a $75 US used Kindle 2 for the sole purpose of "jailbreaking it". I will share everything I accomplish with the community.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If you're interested you can sign up to be a Beta Developer for Kindle Apps.
Yeah??? I've never been contacted back, even after numerous attempts to sign up. Does anyone *have* the Beta Developer Toolkit for download from RapidShare?

I, personally, would *love* to see an ePub viewer app for the K2.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
The Kindle 3 has talk about a Webkit browser. This probably means they have added X11 support to the firmware. If so, the possibilities would be endless. Let's just hope there will also be a similar update for Kindle 2.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote