Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #211
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by thdurrant View Post
Thanks for the suggestions portablejim,

I tried the package names you suggested, as well as the full names, no good I am afraid...

Given these are the only dependencies, could it be a path issue? i.e. does getlibs download to a non-standard path, that kobo doesn't look for?
Can you check with synaptic if you have them installed?
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #212
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm running an ubuntu netbook 10.04 release on an Asus eee1000H. I was missing libqca.so, which was resolved using the following command:
>sudo getlibs libqca.so

I was also missing libzip.so.1 , which was resolved by installing apt-file, and then entering the following commands:
>sudo apt-file search libzip.so.1 <-- this tells me it's in the libzip1 package
>sudo apt-get install libzip1

Everything seems to be functioning properly. The extremely fast startup from hibernate on ubuntu coupled with the eee's portability makes it the perfect for tinkering with the Kobo Touch on the go.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #213
thdurrant
thdurrant began at the beginning.

I just installed on my work machine running 10.10 with the original instructions portablejim with no issues, so it must be something unique to 11.04.

portablejim, I will double check when I get home, but I am pretty sure they are all there.
thdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #214
fordprefect
fordprefect began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Linux Newb here

Excuse the ignorant question, was just gifted a kobo e reader for Faddah's day (yippee!)--I'm running a home built box with 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04.2 --unclear how I actually INSTALL the files listed in the prior posts with the dropbox link?

I would prefer not to drag my old windows box out to do this.

Thanks for looking, I'm anticipating a lot of fun reading as soon as I get this worked out--
fordprefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #215
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordprefect View Post
Excuse the ignorant question, was just gifted a kobo e reader for Faddah's day (yippee!)--I'm running a home built box with 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04.2 --unclear how I actually INSTALL the files listed in the prior posts with the dropbox link?

I would prefer not to drag my old windows box out to do this.

Thanks for looking, I'm anticipating a lot of fun reading as soon as I get this worked out--
Thy right-clicking on the file, there should be an option to open with a package installer / software center.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #216
2doggiesmom
2doggiesmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks to all how posted with the info to install from a terminal. That worked.

Now another problem that I hope someone has solved. When I open Kobo Desktop eReader I get a message that says "To enjoy faster downloads and books with rich layout and imagery, you will be required to upgrade your library. This will only take a few minutes." But when I click "Upgrade Now" a window pops up saying it is "Updating" but it sits on the screen for ages with nothing happening. I hope someone has a solution. I have books on the Kobo website that I purchased but am unable to copy them to the reader.

Perhaps the solution is in one of the above posts and if so I would appreciate an answer for someone who is barely computer literate.

Thanx
2doggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #217
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Hi

Open a command prompt and run the desktop from there. There is pretty good debugging info

/usr/bin/Kobo or /usr/local/bin/Kobo

Likely your desktop version is not compatiBle with your firmware version.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #218
RickSicamous
RickSicamous began at the beginning.

Touch setup failure

Bought a Touch on-line through Chapters on June 18th and received it on the 22nd, easy to do and great shipping (free), at this point I was really happy.

I had already downloaded and installed the Kobo Desktop, set up an account and downloaded a dozen books to put on the ereader when it arrived.

When the Touch arrived I plugged it in and the desktop did not start the set up wizard, so I uninstalled it, downloaded it again, this time from kobosetup.com and when I plugged the Touch in the set up did start but quit right after I put in my e-mail and password. Following message shown: Oops! Let's try that again. Something unexpected happened while we were setting up your eReader and we need to try again.

I've done this on my desktop - Dell XPS 9000 running with Win7 Home Premium 64bit and my Toshiba laptop running Win7 Home Premium 32 bit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a few times on both machines, have run kobosetup.exe as administrator and then tried it again with all security software turned off.

I phoned the help line in the afternoon of the 22nd, but the girl who was very friendly, courteous and sympathetic wasn't able to actually help other than recommending sending an e-mail to the help desk, which I did.

On the morning of the 25th, I called once again as I had no response, again the girl couldn't do much except to expedite my request to Level 2. Not sure if the help personnel work on the weekends so as it's mid-afternoon on Sunday I'm not expecting a response immediately.

As I dual boot my desktop with Mint 10, I thought I'd try to find a Linux version and with the very helpful posts by George.Talusan and PortableJim installed the Kobo desktop under Mint 10.

Thought I was in the clear when I signed into my kobo account and the desktop software immediately downloaded my library and then when I plugged my Touch in the set up wizard started. But, unfortunately I ended up receiving the same error message as noted above.

I hope somebody can help me as I really like what I've seen and read about the Touch and would hate to have to return it.

Thanks in advance Rick - oh the following is the terminal output from running Kobo.

I apologize for the length of this post - just venting a little!!

rick@rick-Studio-XPS-435T-9000:/usr/local/Kobo$ Kobo
/usr/local/Kobo/Kobo: /usr/lib32/libjpeg.so.62: no version information available (required by /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1)
void setProxyEnabled(bool) false
CHECKING DB VERSION FOR MIGRATION
DESIRED VERSION: 19
CURRENT VERSION: 17
Object::connect: No such slot DeviceManager::startUsbUpgradeWizard()
------- [SyncClient] ------ start (Thread: 4099766944 )
------- [SyncClient] ------ migrationSucceeded
checkUserDeviceID
UserIDFilter<C>::UserIDFilter(LibraryDataProvider< C>*, const QString&) [with C = Volume] Woah.. you probably don't want to filter on empty string
void AbstractLibraryController<C>::layout(bool) [with C = Volume] source has no rows
------- [SyncClient] ------ verifyDeviceDone
WebPage::javaScriptConsoleMessage "ReferenceError: Can't find variable: KWSAppCommunication"
WebPage::javaScriptConsoleMessage "ReferenceError: Can't find variable: KWSAppCommunication"
------- [SyncClient] ------ startUserSync
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncUserDone
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 12 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/27d9416e3c3c6e8ef5437ae398399e6035aca3b6.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 1315971
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 11 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/97f43dfd5ea626bdcb86cf151d734b0396bf741c.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 3072968
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 10 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/594c42c40e5944ba6a58db39349b0bf0c96b61cd.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 516510
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 9 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/4f1a8211e90e7cdaf807c5f91260cc7546cda680.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 462210
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 8 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/5f106f1ec2716e1e284f84ffc3e3a21be733f33c.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 87718
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 7 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/67cc211122182423c8c37209d9dee39ab85b1c3f.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 591289
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 6 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/1ad45f14f347082445fa64f8d291435a6870a33d.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 741034
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 5 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/ba36966e57be55472cbfc01586012d65ad51d7d2.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 775908
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 4 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/d58f4800f49798e5e329149a834198083be84f08.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 348603
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 3 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/ac4c2de91a29329c809bf37717d20dc31b272a4e.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 387734
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 2 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/68d6a33e61d513e540da512347900ade9d7a4454.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 1122709
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 1 ]
requestImageDone
[ResumingDownloader] : Start: "http://a4ccf0b6.blob.core.windows.net/kobo/8d3206e196122d0879650f3c203b0fa51154b075.epub"
[ResumingDownloader] : FINISHED: 5187194
------- [SyncClient] ------ syncNextItem [ Total: 0 ]
Object::connect: No such signal SignInWizardPage::webRequestError(QNetworkReply::N etworkError)
Object::connect: (receiver name: 'SignInWizardPage')
------- [SyncClient] ------ migrationSucceeded
------- [SyncClient] ------ verifyDeviceDone
------- [SyncClient] ------ startUserSync
ERROR FROM SERVER: "998"
RickSicamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #219
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSicamous View Post
Bought a Touch on-line through Chapters on June 18th and received it on the 22nd, easy to do and great shipping (free), at this point I was really happy.
ERROR FROM SERVER: "998"
Howdy Rick,

You maybe experiencing a bug on our server. If your password contains any special characters like < > ( ) then please try changing your password - since it's a bug on the server, you may even be unable to do this. Contact customer support and they'll help you out.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #220
RickSicamous
RickSicamous began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Howdy Rick,

You maybe experiencing a bug on our server. If your password contains any special characters like < > ( ) then please try changing your password - since it's a bug on the server, you may even be unable to do this. Contact customer support and they'll help you out.
Thanks George, you are a life saver, your recommendation solved the problem.

I'm still waiting for the help desk to assign my request, so I really appreciated the fact that you're on this forum and responded so quickly.

It would have saved me hours of work and much frustration if the phone personnel knew of this issue and could have given me this advise instead of just e-mailing a help request!

I'll post an addendum to my request with Kobo stating that my problem is solved and advising them of your assistance along with a recommendation that the phone (Level 1 ?) personnel be advised of this issue. I can't believe I'm the only one that used special characters in a password.

Once again, thanks I really appreciate your assistance, now I just have to get off work and pick up my Touch and do some serious reading.

Rick
RickSicamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #221
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I don't have a lot of experience with this desktop app yet but I just wanted to say thank you so much for offering a linux version. Kobo seems to be very attentive to community in general but this is a nice touch and really helps us feel the love :-D
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #222
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Is there still no intention or desire to create a proper rpm package instead of that conversion thing?
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #223
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance of getting this to run under Gentoo (64-bit)? I just tried to unpack the .deb and run the files within, but it says:

Quote:
error while loading shared libraries: libzip.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Thanks for even thinking about Linux, though, it is impressive indeed.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #224
Jedibeeftrix
Jedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nokia N9 Meego/Harmattan
Hi JCKobo,

Just found your Kobo linux thread and registered to say thanks, and to ask if you will have a meego/harmattan app for use on the upcoming Nokia N9?

Plus, as a user of 64bit opensuse i'd love to see support there.

Can't believe it is finally happening, i even wrote about kobo linux support over a year ago, and it still gets hits daily to this day:

http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...t-quite-right/

kind regards

JBT
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #225
hagerdoc
hagerdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance of getting this to run under Gentoo (64-bit)? I just tried to unpack the .deb and run the files within, but it says:

Thanks for even thinking about Linux, though, it is impressive indeed.
I had the exact same error message when I installed the debian package on Ubuntu. I was able to resolve it by installing libzip1. Hope that helps!
hagerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software