Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
PRS-600 Frozen on Home Screen - HELP !

My Laptop has USB ports that USB Plugs wobble slightly when inserted,

Whilst connecting my lovely new 600 I think the plug wobbled,

The 600 did not connect (Running Vista and Calibre was running too),

Reader stuck on the opening book screen,

So I un attached the reader, It wouldn't switch off or soft reset,

After several attempts it looked like it was opening up, but the computer beeped again, (it does this if the USB plug wobbles,) and it froze again on the menu screen,

The reader is fully charged,

I can't Hard Reset as it wont switch off,

Tried everything you guys advise,

Guess I have to wait for battery to drain ?

Which may take days

HELP (I Love My Baby),

What else can i do ... is it dead ?

Thnx

Kevin
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Have you tried using a mains (wall charger) to charge again? Oops, just saw you said it was fully charged. Maybe, a new book file is corrupted?

Have you seen this thread?

Plus, maybe, the Sony Troubleshooting Guide in the Wiki?

Let us know what happens.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thnx Dreams,

Not really of use, I cant switch off or reset, hope it will be ok when battery drains and recharges, or maybe my beautiful reader is dead ?,

it cost more than we could afford too, and Sony Customer Service don't get a good reputation, maybe WH Smiths Online where i bought it will help

in feel so upset, was loving my reader
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried pressing the reset button on the back of the reader in the little hole? After you do that, you use the switch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
First you'd need to poke a hole through the case It's a 600 and the reset hole is in the bottom edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried pressing the reset button on the back of the reader in the little hole? After you do that, you use the switch.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Charging required

Charge for four hours at a main and you just may clear it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
unused_bagels
unused_bagels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
I have the 300 and mine got stuck on page 1 today after trying to read a new book. I'm blaming it on the file, but really, i can open it in a .pdf reader so I don't know what the deal is. Do I just have to sit for almost a week while it slowly dies?

Also: I tried the reset button. nothing.

Last edited by unused_bagels; 02-28-2010 at 02:07 AM.
unused_bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Did you try holding the on/off switch to the right for like 10-15 seconds before releasing it, as if you wanted to fully shut down and not the sleep mode?

They only other shot in the dark I can think of is inserting memory cards and/or removing them, or holding the main menu button and vol+ at the same time and then activating the on/off switch (not sure if I got that right off the top of my head, but I am thinking of the test mode).

Let us know what happens.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I would try the suggestions above but you may need to get a wall charger and charge it from the mains. Sometimes USB charging just doesn't cut it - perhaps you have a bad USB connection.

Either way try not to panic because I've had freezes like this and all have been overcome by wall charging and resets bar 1 where I had to delete a corrupt file from the device. I'm sure it is fixable and even if it isn't, you are covered at such an early stage.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Unhappy

Thank's Everyone, Tried all that except Mains Charge with NO sucess , We had a PSP charger from our son having the PSP, but the charger appears dead, so need to get another, Damn,

I did rather panic, this was very hard for us to buy , and so for it to go wrong wa totally heartbreaking ,

Anyway Thnx again all, Any other advice Much Appreciated

Regards and Best Wishes

Kevin
Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Over 12 Hours Still Frozen On Home Screen, Battery not fading at all .......DRAT !!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Just a shot in the dark here, but did you try going into windows explorer and ejecting /using the safely remove hardware option. It worked for me when my reader did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. For some reason it still thought it was connected to my laptop. Here are the steps I used.

1. Connect the reader to usb port
2. If it does not automatically do so open my computer
3. Look to see if reader shows up as a drive icon
4. If it does, do not select it, just right click on it
5. When the menu comes up select safely remove hardware option
6. Wait until it says safe to remove hardware.
7. Disconnect reader and see if that solves the problem.

Hope this helps.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I know people have had a lot of bad experiences from Sony but a couple of months ago I dropped the lower half of my 505 into the bathtub. The warranty said it doesn't cover water damage. I was heartbroken, and sent it in to see how much it would cost to repair. I kept checking up on it and when they updated my workorder onine I saw it was getting sent back to me. They ended up replacing it and all I paid was the s & h ($8) and $30 for the replacement.

When my reader gets frozen (it has happened maybe 5 times so far) I hold in the reset button and (I think the word I want is toggle) keep flicking the power switch over and over. Sometimes I will hold the power button for 20 seconds while pushing the reset button. I would try plugging it in with a wall charger. Call Sony and the store u bought it from and let them know you are having problems so if you do need to return it/exchange it you will have proof that it wasn't misuse that broke it (if it is indeed broken). Document who you talk to, what time you called, etc.

One time I had a problem with my car insurance and called in. They said they would fix it as soon as their computers came back online, they were having some difficulties. When I checked the next day the problem wasn't solved. They ended up going back through the calls until they found my conversation after I told them the day and time I called and fixed the discrepancy

You never know when that stuff will be important.

Sorry for your troubles and good luck; keep us updated!!!!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
tkutergin
tkutergin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 505
I had probably similar problem on my PRS 505 when USB ports on my laptop failed. PRS 505 got stuck on startup and nothing helped (reset, charging etc).
It seems that internal memory file system was corrupted (PC did not detect corruption though).
I had to connect PRS 505 to another computer and re-format both internal memory and SD card (using PC). After this device started up successfully and I was able to recover contents. Never will use USB on my laptop again...

Your problem may be the same or not of course...

Last edited by tkutergin; 03-01-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
tkutergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #15
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Unhappy

Again will try, I can access another PC, so lets hope, Thnx ,