Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
New Video about the Archos 5 Device

I know there are some folks out there using an Archos as an ebook reader. So here is a new video by our bud Charbax showing off the Archos 5 Internet Tablet:

And here is a different video showing it work as an ebook reader:

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-23-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added video of using Archos 5 as ebook reader
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, now I want one of those devices. What's that thing cost? How big is the screen? (Yea, I know google).

Actually, I have been considering asking for a Netbook that does tablet/touchscreen mode for Christmas.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Kinda cool huh? I Googled and they start about $260ish I think....not unreasonable at all. However I did not delve further for fear of wanting one NOW...HAHAHA...It really looks to work as I had hoped my N800 would have when I bought it.

I wish it (NOTE: ya know those last two words are kinda filthy when typed together w/o a space...d'oh!!) had a transflective display...then I would pretty much have no excuse to not buy one... Heck, I already have a neat BT keyboard I bought to use with the N800 so some typing is possible.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, now I want one of those devices. What's that thing cost? How big is the screen? (Yea, I know google).

Actually, I have been considering asking for a Netbook that does tablet/touchscreen mode for Christmas.

BOb
Specs (screen is 4.8")...
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en

Prices (might be slightly discounted at places like Amazon)...
32GB = $380 / 160GB = $400 / 500GB = $500
https://store.archos.com/product_info.php

There is also an older Archos 5 "Internet Media Tablet" as opposed to the Android based "Internet Tablet"

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-24-2009 at 01:03 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OAk,

Thanks... is the RAM solid state or do they have 1.5 inch hard drives?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The 32GB is flash. The 160 and 500 are some type of hard drive from my understanding.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

FYI, You can get a 250GB Archos 5 for $259.99...direct from Amazon. Another Amazon seller has a 160GB Archos 5 for $329 including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-250-Int...6361994&sr=8-1

EDIT: ahhhh, I see the $259 version is the Internet Media tablet, so that is different? I hate when mfg have too many versions of the same device.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

OK...I found forums for the whole Archos line...too many options and configs for this late so I'll look later but thought I'd pass it along...maybe tomorrow it will make more sense to me:

http://forum.archosfans.com/
Old 10-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Now i feel like i want one of these again !

Too bad neither aldiko or fb-reader can take notes.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

ummmm...boy that A5A sure looks like this device, no?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60116
Old 10-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really. Same kind of consept.
But the other is 7", and have 3G. 3G's a bit laking for the archos.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned

Then again there is this beast...the Archos 9...WOW...now that is the sort of device I would love to see with a 3Qi display:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/v...een-impresses/

And it's not that much more expensive than the A5A...

Think I learned, insomnia is sometimes fun???, but the Archos 5 Android (A5A) is a mixed bag, some folks really are unhappy and others are just fine with it...but after reading I am going to keep an eye on the A7 with Win7...it does support a SIM card slot (user accessible), but only about 3-4hrs battery life at the time of the video, might be better now...but that is a NICE LARGE DISPLAY in the KDx range, well about 1" smaller...but you should be able to run ANY reader software as it's a Win7 device. I know Android is really promising but it's lagging like many new things. Win7 and a 1.2GHz Atom CPU is pretty compelling for under $500.

I would use it for reference books, crossword puzzles of course, maybe recreational reading as well but I feel I want a 5" Pocketbook 360 for that...and I would want the Sim-card to get 3G and use Skype (is there even a Skype version for Win7 Starter Edition [whatever the heck THAT might be!!), you could get at your Gmail though there is the Windows Live mail client as well...but that is really the exact idea of a portable device I have been wanting. I want a real computer...battery life though if it's not able to reach the levels of the other Archos models is pretty much a non-starter, no way I would be willing to live with 3-4hrs battery life...

Kind of a shame that Archos seems to have a fairly negative image from long term users. And after my experience with the N800 from Nokia, I am just not willing to buy into a new device, but at least this device has an OS with a much more stable future, heck, it actually HAS a future unlike the Nokia OS2008.

Worth watching as a family of devices that can do more than read books for those who want more all the time or want the flexibility to have more capability on the go. And given the recent Kindle Reader for Windows, it can read Amazon books as well. And ADE DRM EPUB should likewise never be an issue...

I begin to wonder if the real problem in the ereader device world is not the devices but rather the boutique OS's...sure many run some sort of Linux, but like all -ix OS's each of the 1000s of variants have their own quirks. If these MFG went with a more consistent OS things might move forward quicker and probably in a more stable/dependable/predictable and certainly compatible fashion. Then again they all read books like they should, sort of anyway.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Not really. Same kind of consept.
But the other is 7", and have 3G. 3G's a bit laking for the archos.
And Archos does have their Archos 7 which looks exactly like the device in the link...so maybe Cmotech makes the Archos 7 device?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
but after reading I am going to keep an eye on the A7 with Win7...it does support a SIM card slot (user accessible),
Yeah. I expect the 500 Euros would be for the with 3g and dvb-t tuners of the archos 9.
So until I actually need to replace my laptop, well.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah. I expect the 500 Euros would be for the with 3g and dvb-t tuners of the archos 9.
So until I actually need to replace my laptop, well.
d'oh!! I was thinking A9 and wrote A7...isn't it the A9 which supports 3G? Anyway the Archos 9 is the model which caught my eye...I just slip-streamed an A7 typo in there...