Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Is your Oasis registered? The "Personalize Your Kindle" menu appeared after I registered mine.
Nope.

I thought it would come pre-registered (it's a loaner review unit) but apparently not.

I never connected it to Wifi, so it is technically unregistered.

Edit: And Thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That would certainly explain it! A lot of the menu items on the Kindle only appear when it's registered. Sorry, it didn't occur to me that your device might not be registered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would certainly explain it! A lot of the menu items on the Kindle only appear when it's registered. Sorry, it didn't occur to me that your device might not be registered.
Me, neither!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #19
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The row of dots indicating the length of a book disappeared a long time ago in firmware 5.7. Amazon have indicated, though, that it will be back again in a future firmware release because many people have asked for it.
I hope they keep the percentage counter too. I find that much more useful! (I know this makes me a heretic and lower than the lowest beast.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I hope they keep the percentage counter too. I find that much more useful! (I know this makes me a heretic and lower than the lowest beast.)
That makes two of us. Is that enough heretics to start a religion?

Still, % is also not great, I'm no heretic about that opinion. I assume (having checked a few of my books) it is computed something very much like this:
(currentLocation/totalLocations)*100, rounded to nearest whole number
But to make sense of the % you would also need to know total number of locations (not to mention knowing what a location is), which is what the dots attempted to convey, but fail to do so (because it is not a linear scale, and seems to be a 'dynamic' scale at that, seems to depend on the biggest book you happen to have on the device). Moreover, the dots don't work so well on Grid View, because they must obscure some significant portion of the precious cover images, even as the dot scale gets even cruder.

So I would propose displaying the 'missing piece of data' by mapping Reading Progress Preference to something like the following (with List View):

"Book A: 74%, 72 pages remaining" (if RPP=Page in book)
-or-
"Book A: 74%, 45m remaining" (if RPP=Time left in chapter or in book)
-or-
"Book A: 74% of 3667 locations" (if RPP=Location in book)
-or-
"Book A: 74%" (if RPP=None)

For both List and Grid view, have the '⋮' button that brings up the book options display this same reading progress text in the heading under Title/Author.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-02-2016 at 11:24 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
-or-
"Book A: 74%" (if RPP=None)
-or-
"Book A" (if RP==none)

It bugs the hell out of me to see the stupid % when I set it to not show within the book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
-or-
"Book A" (if RP==none)

It bugs the hell out of me to see the stupid % when I set it to not show within the book.
Yes, that does seem inconsistent.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #23
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But to make sense of the % you would also need to know total number of locations (not to mention knowing what a location is), which is what the dots attempted to convey, but fail to do so (because it is not a linear scale, and seems to be a 'dynamic' scale at that, seems to depend on the biggest book you happen to have on the device). Moreover, the dots don't work so well on Grid View, because they must obscure some significant portion of the precious cover images, even as the dot scale gets even cruder.
Agreed: your suggestions seem extremely sensible, and are the only real equivalent to the "how thick is the hunk of book that's left" which the dots poorly conveyed and the percentage only conveys if you already know whether this is a Kindle Single or War and Peace. (If you started reading it, you probably *do* already know, but with the dots you didn't have to look it up the way you do now!)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
A little off topic but,

I don't like novellas or short stories so I tend to stay away from books less than 200 pages. One pet peeve of mine is when authors pad the page count on short books by adding multiple "sneak peeks" at the end. I have seen books where 75% is the end of the book and the rest is filler.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #25
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I have a couple of ideas for the dots and % thing but because it's all actually quite sensible, I can't see Amazon implementing either

1) add an option to have a choice of dots, %, or nothing displayed; or
2) if a book hasn't been started, show the dots to give people a feel of how big a book is - you know like when you look at a pbook - but switch to display % once a book has been started
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I have a couple of ideas for the dots and % thing but because it's all actually quite sensible, I can't see Amazon implementing either

1) add an option to have a choice of dots, %, or nothing displayed; or
2) if a book hasn't been started, show the dots to give people a feel of how big a book is - you know like when you look at a pbook - but switch to display % once a book has been started
2a) unless you are only on page 1 or 2, meaning that you opened the book by accident, or opened it but decided it wasn't what you were in the mood for. Then I would still like the dots (or equivalent) to show me how big the whole book it, for the next time when I am scanning through and looking for a short/long read. (Rather than when I'm already in a series, and I know what book I want next, regardless of how long it is.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #27
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
A little off topic but,

I don't like novellas or short stories so I tend to stay away from books less than 200 pages. One pet peeve of mine is when authors pad the page count on short books by adding multiple "sneak peeks" at the end. I have seen books where 75% is the end of the book and the rest is filler.
I'd bet my left ovary that most of those are Kindle Unlimited authors. More pages = more money. If they can pad it out, it's good for them.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
I'd bet my left ovary that most of those are Kindle Unlimited authors. More pages = more money. If they can pad it out, it's good for them.
Publishers, including the big 5, have been adding padding like that long before KU was a thing, but yes it does seem to be prolific among some KU authors.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
A little off topic but,

Oh God I hate that. Here I am at the fag end of a book, oh looky there's 20 pages to go that's nice to know I guess there's quite a few loose ends the author needs to tie up I can enjoy reading for half an hour more, then BOOM the story ends within the next couple of pages. Ends the entire reading experience on an anti-climactic note.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Oh God I hate that. Here I am at the fag end of a book, oh looky there's 20 pages to go that's nice to know I guess there's quite a few loose ends the author needs to tie up I can enjoy reading for half an hour more, then BOOM the story ends within the next couple of pages. Ends the entire reading experience on an anti-climactic note.
Even worse is "buy my next book to see what happens".
I don't mind a teaser like what will the protagonist get into next but at least resolve something.
The worst one had to be when not only did the author not resolve anything but threw in a second problem at the end.
The author had heard leave your book on a cliffhanger so the reader will have to buy the next one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landscape, oasis