Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #46
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzz View Post
This is not the case. Personal badge only appears if the Amazon-servers were involved in any way.
You are wrong. I checked the latest calibre and found that this version (and probably earlier) always sets up doctype to EBOK despite what you set in Mobi output configuration.

You can check it by unpacking the result Mobi with KindleUnpack and find in OPF the following line: <meta name="Document Type" content="EBOK" />
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #47
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
My whole point is to find a way to manage my Kindle the most efficient way, either cloud-based or not. Since I don't read books on multiple devices, I'm currently gonna stick with the Calibre-USB-sideload approach.
That's what I did until I started reading on multiple devices (which I now use extensively) Side-loading from Calibre is easy and efficient and if that's all you want to do AZW3 is probably the best format for the PW. The only other issue to consider is the Cloud thingy. eg If you have a DropBox (or similar) account then you can also store your library in the cloud which allows you to access your Calibre stored books direct from your wifi enabled Kindle via your home, office or from your friendly cafe hotspot.
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #48
katzz
katzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz123 View Post
That's what I did until I started reading on multiple devices (which I now use extensively)
If this was the case, I would be simply using the Calibre mobi (both)-option or Kindlegen, send my stuff to Amazon and be happy Or is there any better way available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz123 View Post
The only other issue to consider is the Cloud thingy. eg If you have a DropBox (or similar) account then you can also store your library in the cloud which allows you to access your Calibre stored books direct from your wifi enabled Kindle via your home, office or from your friendly cafe hotspot.
A portable Calibre-version and my library are already on Dropbox. You access them via the experimental web browser?

__________________________________________________ _____

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
You are wrong. I checked the latest calibre and found that this version (and probably earlier) always sets up doctype to EBOK despite what you set in Mobi output configuration.

You can check it by unpacking the result Mobi with KindleUnpack and find in OPF the following line: <meta name="Document Type" content="EBOK" />
Please have a look at this thread. You first have to create a tag, call it whatever you want. Afterwards set the same tag in the "Personal doc tag:" in the Mobi-output settings. Look over here. "Docs"-category works then.

I though have to revoke my statement regarding the "personal"-badge.

Last edited by katzz; 05-14-2014 at 08:04 PM.
katzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #49
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

AFAIK, the cdetype is only set to [PDOC] when using send-to-device, the library copy has ALWAYS had cdetype=[EBOK]. Is this what you mean is happening?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, we cleared that up in a dedicated thread (see katzz's latest edit), which can serves as a good recap of how the whole thing works if anyone else wants to polish his knowledge of (one of the many) intricacies of the Kindle platform .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #51
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
AFAIK, the cdetype is only set to [PDOC] when using send-to-device, the library copy has ALWAYS had cdetype=[EBOK]. Is this what you mean is happening?
Why is it not documented here http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...output-options ?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #52
katzz
katzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Ask the one who wrote the documentation? Like we found out, it does work for Mobi and AZW3.

Select an eBook or multiple ones, in the metadata add a tag for whatever makes sense to you. Or simply keep [PDOC] and then use the same value in the output-options. Et voilà, "Docs".
katzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@quiris: because that's the doc of the CLI, and, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that that implies running the metadata tweaks step at the end (akin to a "Save To Disk" in the GUI), so, I'd wager that *that* piece of doc is indeed correct for the specific part of Calibre it documents.

EDIT: And if you just meant why is it not documented in the AZW3 section, I got carried away ;p. I'd have to check, I'm not sure it does indeed inherit mobi CLI flags like the GUI...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-15-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I'd imagine since ebook-convert does not involve the library, and instead uses the "--personal-doc" switch to directly control this option. As is documented.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #55
quiris
Groupie

--personal-doc does not work. I tested this option yesterday
Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That said, you should get mostly the exact same result with the mobi file type set to 'new' w/ the mobi output plugin. (*should*, I remember switching to AZW3 a while ago because of issues with this, but that was at the very, very beginning of this, so YMMV).

IIRC, the only thing you might have to do manually to make some Kindles actually like these files is just change the file extension from .mobi to .azw3.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #57
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
This is not the case. Personal badge only appears if the Amazon-servers were involved in any way.
One more time. Since Kovid said it's impossible to get Mobi with PDOC exth 501 set up during conversion (https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1319936) I digged in calibre source code to get dual mobi with PDOC 501 exth field set up. The file is attached here. The file transferred to Kindle Paperwhite gets Personal badge as I said.

So if you don't have 'Personal' badge it's for sure not 'PDOC' file.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Dracula - Bram Stoker.mobi (1.78 MB, 124 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #58
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Good to know, I wasn't sure, but I thought the CLI did the metadata update pass like a Save To Disk .
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #59
mfsav2
mfsav2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have an error trying to send azw3... is just me or everyone?
mfsav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!

How/When/Where?

Wa, way more details needed.