Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
How do you manage your 'reading list'?

Folks,

I understand that there are lots of sources to buy and download ebooks for all the various readers out there. I am wondering how you all manager your reading lists, the list of books that you want to read.

Do you just put them in a text file on your computer? Google Docs? Use a wishlist on a website? Good old fashioned paper and pen? How do you manage your reading list?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I tend to just load books onto my Reader as I get them -- it's come to do double duty as my "Reading Shelf."

I take things off as I finish them, so that keeps the clutter down.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish there was a way to determine books as being 'Read' on the reader so I can at least see which ones I haven't read yet in a single view. But thanks for the input.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh, you've hit upon one of the reasons I tend to take them off once I've read them.

I also use a collection, and inside it I sort them in the order I plan to read them. That way all I have to remember is the name of the book I just read, and start the next one on the list.

That works fine if you either want to read them in the order you get them or you don't really care about the order, but sometimes something will come along and push to the front of the line, which disrupts things a bit.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru

Nevermind the last comment. I just realized I can edit the metadata for existing books and use tags to create a system of priority or classification of books as read/unread.

I would still like everyone's feedback on how to manage books that want to buy/download/read.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, you've hit upon one of the reasons I tend to take them off once I've read them.

I also use a collection, and inside it I sort them in the order I plan to read them. That way all I have to remember is the name of the book I just read, and start the next one on the list.

That works fine if you either want to read them in the order you get them or you don't really care about the order, but sometimes something will come along and push to the front of the line, which disrupts things a bit.
I just discovered that technique while you were replying. Since I am playing with the code for libprs500, I think I will see about adding a default tag feature to automatically assign newly imported books with a certain tag(s).
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sounds like an interesting idea, let me know how that goes, please.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Do you just put them in a text file on your computer? Google Docs? Use a wishlist on a website? Good old fashioned paper and pen? How do you manage your reading list?
I plan to put all my books into LibraryThing.com. You can use tags, so I plan to tag all the books that I have yet to read a ToRead. This will also allow me to determine what books I am missing from various series also.

You can export your books lists from it and put it on your reader if you want. I'm not sure if there is a way to order the export, I am still working on entering all the boosk, I don't have a scanner yet... probably will order one or try to find an adapter for the one I have.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I need to figure this out also. I've got 39 books on the memory card, in alpha order. It has a function to sort by date downloaded, but that's not really right either. It's probably silly, but my husband doesn't want me to remove them after reading, because he likes to show off my reader to people and show how many books I'm carrying around on it. Cute!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I need to figure this out also. I've got 39 books on the memory card, in alpha order. It has a function to sort by date downloaded, but that's not really right either. It's probably silly, but my husband doesn't want me to remove them after reading, because he likes to show off my reader to people and show how many books I'm carrying around on it. Cute!
LOL, that is funny. For me I don't want to take anything off because I like my 'comfort' books. I want to be able to go back to most books I've read and find a special paragraph or conversation.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I plan to put all my books into LibraryThing.com. You can use tags, so I plan to tag all the books that I have yet to read a ToRead. This will also allow me to determine what books I am missing from various series also.

You can export your books lists from it and put it on your reader if you want. I'm not sure if there is a way to order the export, I am still working on entering all the boosk, I don't have a scanner yet... probably will order one or try to find an adapter for the one I have.

BOb
LibraryThing looks interesting. I have Delicious Library on my Mac and I use that to manage our paper books but having an online version is quite nice. Another nice thing that I would like is to be able to add a book from wherever I am. For example, if I am talking to a friend and he recommends a book to me, it would be nice to be able to fire off an SMS or email that automatically adds the book to my "to research" tag so that I don't forget it.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For example, if I am talking to a friend and he recommends a book to me, it would be nice to be able to fire off an SMS or email that automatically adds the book to my "to research" tag so that I don't forget it.
Dude, they so have that...

http://www.librarything.com/blog/200...ing-mobile.php

BOb
Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Unfortunately there is no 'add' or tagging into the mobile version. If I had an iphone it wouldn't be a problem, but with my windows mobile, it would too long to do anything useful.

Thanks, tho.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no 'add' or tagging into the mobile version. If I had an iphone it wouldn't be a problem, but with my windows mobile, it would too long to do anything useful.

Thanks, tho.
Ah. your right, only reads at this time. Well, maybe someone will write a twitter bot that can let you post stuff to LT via the twitter short code.

BOb
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru

true. Maybe someone will.