Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Reading Speed?

Just curious how long it takes for you devoted folks and bookworms lol. here to read a average book? average being 350 pages ..I know there are a lot of varibles, but curious of other enthusiasts habits of reading books, speed, time etc..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-09-2013 at 10:20 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
About a week. That's with reading every night for about 30 minutes. However, on weekends when I'm free to do what I like, I have finished a 350 page book in a weekend.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
It takes me about a week to read a book around 350 pages. The bigger ones as in 500+ pages usually takes me 2 weeks depending on how much reading time I have.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
It takes me about a week to read a book around 350 pages. The bigger ones as in 500+ pages usually takes me 2 weeks depending on how much reading time I have.
It would be more informative to give the number of hours rather than weeks.

I remember the first Kindle ads about a device that had a battery that would last a month or two between charges, and then I discovered that was reading a half an hour each day.

Most people will read a book for several hours if they read at all. Of course if you are reading while riding on the train, it might be only half an hour.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Assuming a good read in modern paperback form with the typical tiny fonts, about 6-7 hours.
About 20k words per hour...?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
About 6-7 hours for me, too. I can easily read a book in a day, if I am mostly reading.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Marsi
Nameless Being

I don't read quickly at all - it takes me an hour to read 60-70 pages. I suppose that means that it takes me around five or six hours to read a 350 page book, which translates to anywhere between one day and over a week, depending on how much time I allocate to reading in between necessities and other hobbies.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I read during meals which means about 3 hours/day also at least a couple hours relaxing during the day and on weekends I might read for 5-6 hours at least so I would say 1 to 2 days.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It really depends on the book. But I read about 2 books a week, according to my reading list the average length of books I've read this year is 363 pages. During the weekend (2-3 days) I read one and the other takes longer (4-5 days) because I've got less time to read.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
About 8 hours to read 350 pages so that's about two days for me unless I read it in one sitting which I have been known to do if the book is super good.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's kind of hard to say, but I am currently reckoning on about a week for an average length novel, a few days for a short novel and two weeks or more for a big fat epic. I probably read for less than an hour each night on average, but maybe make up ground at the weekend. 50 pages per hour, perhaps? Maybe less.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Used to be about 2 a week before college, but now less than that. I'm just going to meet my good reads challenge of 100 books this year.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
It takes me approx 4 hours if I am well, longer if I am not. I tend to be able to do one 350 page book a day, if everybody in the house doesnt want something every 5 minutes. I do have days when I can not read at all. I very rarely read any book under 350 pages. Most are 400 to 600 pages.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It depends if I have a toddler near by or not. Without a toddler, I can get through a book that I enjoy in a couple of days. With a toddler, I would say the average is 3-4 days.

It depends on what I am reading. A good fun fiction read or young adult novel takes me 2 days even with my little man. Something that is more literary fiction, for the most part I find those books a bit more challenging to read, probably 4-5 days. I find that I need to concentrate more reading a mor eliterary piece then I do reading the latest Jim Butcher novel, but that is me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It would be more informative to give the number of hours rather than weeks.
Depends what information you're trying to glean.

When people ask me how long I have been playing guitar, I used to respond "Do you mean in years, or in hours?" Because if I just said how many years, it would seem my level of playing was lagging WAY behind what would be expected. If I tell them that I only put in maybe 4 or 5 hours of practice across each of those years, things seemed much more in line.

IOW, reading speed in hours might suggest we should be getting through far more books per year, and so we must not like reading very much, rather than taking into account how much reading time is available to us.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote