Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
lavina
lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nested TOC problem with NST

Hi!

Non-rooted NST owner here. I have a problem with sideloaded epubs that have nested TOC.
Ever since the 1.2.1 update removed the page-numbers for the Chapters page, I've been using the "Go to" feature to see how many pages are left until the next chapter.
However, a nested TOC can screw that up. Lots of times, "Go to" simply doesn't recognize that I'm in a sub-level TOC element, or whatever, even though the Contents pages shows the chapters properly nested.

Example:
Code:
- PART 1
- - ch 1
- - ch 2
- - ch 3
- PART 2
- - ch 4
- - ch 5
In the above case it probably wouldn't matter which chapter I was reading, it would display which PART I was in and how many pages I'd have left until the next PART.
With some books it works, with other it doesn't. Opening these epubs in Sigil, I just can't spot the difference. The TOC.NCX files seem correct, pointing to the HTML files, and I let Sigil re-number them all the time, if that matters.
Probably has something to do with my EPUB files. Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips to fix it?

Last edited by lavina; 07-15-2013 at 09:31 AM.
lavina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
OK - I know I'm necroposting an old thread - but I've encountered this same issue. As far as I know, it's just a bug in the nook.

If, like me, you have all your books in calibre and side load them to the nook, there is a workaround. There are at least two ways in calibre to flatten a nested TOC - the Modify Epub plugin, or the native calibre TOC editor. I use these to flatten the TOC on my books to get around this bug.

The other complication is that I don't usually want my books' TOCs forever flattened just to get around a nook bug. For this reason, I copy all newly purchased books to calibre library I call "staged" where I temporarily hold books to be copied to my nook. I flatten the TOCs (if necessary) here, and then delete them after copying.
Section8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
lavina
lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lavina , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Well, I knew it was a bug in the NST software, and that flattening it would be a workaround. What I would really want to know is the exact cause of the bug.
Since some books trigger it, some don't, there must be something that screws the system, something that could be "fixed" in the books on our part.
lavina is offline   Reply With Quote