Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Collections/Series support?

Which (if any) e-ink readers, other than Sony, support Collections/series via Calibre?

I read a lot of Series based books and have a huge collection of them in my Calibre library. I've been using my old and battered PRS-505 forever but it's getting pretty long in the tooth and has started to get a bit glitchy and will have to be retired soon.
But I really like the way it easily throws everything into nicely sorted collections based on the series info in Calibre and also by tags. I've also got a Kindle Touch and a Nook Glow but having to sort things on the reader one by one or having to use pseudo sorting schemes via file names drove me nuts (the kids and wife are happy with them though).

Is there any other E-Ink readers that handle book collections as well as the Sonys out of the box I should look at before I go out and get a PRS-T2?
Oh, and Tablets are out as I need something to read on that won't tempt me with other stuff (damn Angry Birds) and I don't want to void any warranties so anything I have to root is out as well.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Get the T1 or the T2, you won't regret it! I finally figured out how to get the series name and # the way I want them, via Calibre, and it is fantastic!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
My T1 picked up my series info directly from Calibre without my having to modify anything on the reader or in Calibre... Can't get any easier than that!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
It is calibre that makes the Sony look so good. That is due to the developer Kovid Goyal and those like chaley and jackie_W and the help and support from other users.

Many great plugins/plugboards are available from other wonderful developers for other readers, but so far the Sony are still the best (my opinion only).

However I am sure you will enjoy whatever one you buy.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
DedTV
Enthusiast

Yeah, I know the Sony readers work great thanks to Calibre. It's why I originally bought the PRS-505 over a Kindle several years ago and have remained happy with it despite having obtained several other readers since

Just wondering if any other readers that have come out since out there work as well.
I know I'll likely end up with a T2 because I know I love Sonys. But online reviews rarely cover things like book management features and I like to check every option possible since I'm pretty picky
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle Touch cannot have collections controlled by Calibre. Something Amazon did changed what used to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
DedTV
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle Touch cannot have collections controlled by Calibre. Something Amazon did changed what used to work.
Yep. That's why my daughter has the one I bought.
Still possible on the basic Kindle if you root it (Ditto for the Nooks with the Auto Shelves app), but I hate voiding warranties.