Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
A few questions about the actual Kindle, and the Kindle iPhone app.

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the iPhone forum or here as it relates to both, or rather the interaction between the two.

Firstly, I assume I can use my own drm-free ebooks (converted to mobi I presume) with the iPhone Kindle app?

Secondly, if I had the same ebooks (that I'd converted myself) on my actual Kindle, would it sync my place on both my iPhone and Kindle via whisper sync? Or does that feature only work with ebooks purchased/downloaded from the Amazon store?

Bit of a clincher you see, as I'd probably sell my Sony Reader if I could auto sync my phone and ereader - much better than the current situation where I'm constantly searching for my place for those times when I go out without my Reader, and then vice versa when I return.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are ways to do what you want... yes. But it won't work that way "out of the box" and you're going to have to be willing to get your hands dirty tweaking ebook files and side-loading content onto an un-jailbroken iPhone.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If the books have been purchased from Amazon then you can synch without any problem.

If they are not purchased from Amazon there is a work around using Calibre that will alter the metadata so that you can synch. I have no idea what that work around is but someone here will be able to tell you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cheers.

I'm pretty familiar with Calibre so that woudn't be a problem. As for the iPhone app, can't you just sideload them over USB via iTunes? I know they took this feature out of Stanza ages ago, but it's since been reinstated.

edit: Aah, found some info from your good self, DiapDealer, in another thread. Interesting.

Last edited by yegon; 01-10-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no idea about how you load things to an IPhone but the OP wants to be able to sync between his IPhone and an E-reader.

It is very convienent when you are reading a book on multiple devices. You turn on the Wireless connection and let Amazon note where you are in your book. You shut down your system. You pick up your Kindle or IPhone and turn it on. As soon as you turn on the wireless connection you can sync to the last page read on the other device.

You cannot do that by sideloading a book because there is no way to save your locaction in the book.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash
You cannot do that by sideloading a book because there is no way to save your locaction in the book.
I sync between sideloaded non-amazon ebooks all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon
I'm pretty familiar with Calibre so that woudn't be a problem.
There have been rumors of a calibre-type solution for this, but as far as I know... only Mobi2Mobi can currently create the EXTH records that are necessary for syncing non-amazon mobi's. This could change at any time, of course.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

ahhhh it is Mobi2Mobi, I knew it was out there but I had the wrong program.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I sync between sideloaded non-amazon ebooks all the time.

There have been rumors of a calibre-type solution for this, but as far as I know... only Mobi2Mobi can currently create the EXTH records that are necessary for syncing non-amazon mobi's. This could change at any time, of course.
Yeah, thanks to that other thread, I've been able to sync too! I don't mind the extra step of fixing the file by going into Mobi2Mobi for the great convenience after! (Although it would be better if there's a one-click way to do it via Calibre)
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Does it matter if the real book on Kindle store has a different number of Locations to your sideloaded book? Will the hack still work?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible
Does it matter if the real book on Kindle store has a different number of Locations to your sideloaded book?
No, it doesn't matter a bit.
As long as the ebook that is sideloaded on the two (or more devices) is the same exact file (with the two EXTH records properly modified) it should work.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
FWIW.

A new update to the Kindle App for the iPhone now allows you to import compatible formats via e-mail, internet, etc. to the Kindle App. I just tried it and e-mailed myself a .mobi file and had the option to open in Kindle App.

Now I will have to search for the other thread that discusses how to sync with non Amazon ebooks.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Try a search on Mobi2Mobi
Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan
Now I will have to search for the other thread that discusses how to sync with non Amazon ebooks.
Naw... just read the wiki page.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Naw... just read the wiki page.
Thanks DD. And for all you do in other matters for Calibre, etc.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
yegon
Connoisseur

Awesome guide DD, thanks. Seriously tempted to ditch my Sony Reader for a K3 now.