Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
tufty_efc
tufty_efc began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
Frozen iRiver Cover Story

Hello all,

I received an iRiver Cover Story for Christmas - this one:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...eader/8175320/

And it has frozen.

The iRiver help section was less than helpful. It said:

Quote:
We occasionally have received A/S inquiries from some of overseas customers about frozen e-book.

There are two patterns that generally can be faced this problem by customers as follow.

1. The device has frozen while their reading a book by elctrical circuit reasons.
→ This case can hardly be happened and this device should be inquired to the authorized A/S center for further cooperation.
Which is not very encouraging.

I have tried holding down the menu and power buttons to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I can't spot a reset button either.

Many thanks.
tufty_efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Bad luck, Tufty:

If it's anything like my old model Iriver, then on the bottom edge there's a loose cover strip that you can pull loose to get at the card slot, the usb socket and between them there's a little hole marked "reset" that you can just about get a paper-clip or similar into.

Try that. Not sure whether the machine has to be on or off at the time - probably on of course.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
As James_Wilde said press the reset button then slide the power button to the right.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
tufty_efc

Thanks for the help. This model doesn't have a button marked reset though, and you can't slide the power button anywhere. The only hole under the loose cover strip appears to be for the clip to hold the strip in place to slot in.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
clanelliott
Enthusiast
clanelliott doesn't litterclanelliott doesn't litter

Device: iriver story
Hi
the info is on page 5 of the manual which is on the iriver website. i am not sure what the actual 2 buttons required to press for 6 seconds as i donot own one. i hope this helps.
clanelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
CandraHusnan
CandraHusnan began at the beginning.

Device: iriver sony kindle nook
Try this:

Connect the USB cable to the computer for charging about 10 minutes, then do the soft reset (hold the Power button + Home button together for 6 seconds).

The Cover Story will restart.....
CandraHusnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
tufty_efc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandraHusnan View Post
Try this:

Connect the USB cable to the computer for charging about 10 minutes, then do the soft reset (hold the Power button + Home button together for 6 seconds).

The Cover Story will restart.....
This worked, thanks very much!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
saphillips1
saphillips1 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Cover Story
Hey, I'm having the same sort of problem but none of these suggestions has worked so far.
I was reading the ereader till late last night and the next day when I picked it up to continue to read the screen at the bottom left of the device was blurred. I figured this might just go away on its own though so I carried on trying to read my book and it froze after about three touches of the screen. It seems to be charging because the charge light is on but when I try to reset it nothing happens.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
saphillips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
saphillips1
saphillips1 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Cover Story
Okay the reset just worked after an hour of charging but the screen is still messed up! :/
saphillips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
jaxg
jaxg began at the beginning.

Many resets later ...

I've been resetting my cover story to no avail - it still freezes when the bar completes. I've tried it plugged in, fully powered, draining it,standing on my head, ... The reset process works, but the device still freezes.
I have not had a firmware update (that I know of), & hadn't even loaded any books for a week or two. This last week has not been fun without something to read ...
jaxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have you already tried the Cover Story remedy files?

http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loun...ge=2&cateCode=

latest cover story firmware is 1.15 though, so the info on that page might be outdated
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
jaxg
jaxg began at the beginning.

The recovery method works - at least it got me to the point of being able to connect with the USB, & am now updating the firmware.
Thanks muchly.
jaxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great - too bad there aren't remedy files for the Story HD too...
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #14
nevan2012
nevan2012 began at the beginning.

@frostschutz

Hello mates.

I have the same problem with my iRiver Cover Story, it will freeze at start up.

Now the thing is that I did follow the steps from remedy (from that link), but when the firmware is updating, I receive the warning message "INVALID FIRMWARE", when at about 90%.

So please frostschutz, tell me exactly how you did it, if you fix it. Please help me man. Now I am in factory mode with my C. Story and I can't read anything, I can just connect it at my pc, but I can't read.

If you need more info or details, just let me know.
nevan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

I don't have a Cover Story myself. I'm more interested in Story HD unbricking, but alas, not even remedy files for that model.