Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Nook App: Any International Installs?

I've heard some very good things about the Nook for Android app. I have Nook for PC installed on my desktop, but I can't access the Nook app in the market to install it on my phone. I live in Taiwan, so I'm assuming I'm being geographically discriminated against. Has anyone found a way to install the Nook app by some other means (no rooting, please)?

Thanks.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I'm a noob when it comes to android but:
  • Have you tried accessing the market with WiFi instead of your phones data service?
  • Find the apk in google and install it manually.
  • Maybe orbot with no root can be used to fool the market into thinking it's connecting from someplace else.

Last edited by Catire; 10-29-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Thanks.

I don't have a data plan, so everything is already being done through WiFi.

I'll hunt around for the .apk file as one option. Another option is for me to borrow an American SIM card from someone here and trick the Market into thinking my phone is geographically approved.

I did receive a reply from B&N to my inquiry. They said they don't sell books to Asia (yet) so they don't make the app available for that geographical region. I sent them a reply telling them how this is not a good business model, even if they don't sell books here. It's also strange that I can install Nook for PC, but not Nook for Android. Both servers know that I'm in Asia.

I don't know about Orbot, so I'll have to look into that one.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
nook app for Android

You find an older (fully workable) version of the nook for Android app here:
(The update after that version is only a few weeks old, so it's recent enough).
http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's called bn.ereader_v2.2.apk.

You can use VPN on your Android unit, take the SIM card out of your unit (or de-activate it) so B&N can't track your location. Then you'll find the nook app in Android's market.

I've downloaded the one from the server above. Last week I've updated via the method described.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-30-2010 at 04:14 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
SlowRain
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You find an older (fully workable) version of the nook for Android app here:
(The update after that version is only a few weeks old, so it's recent enough).
http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's called bn.ereader_v2.2.apk.

You can use VPN on your Android unit, take the SIM card out of your unit (or de-activate it) so B&N can't track your location. Then you'll find the nook app in Android's market.

I've downloaded the one from the server above. Last week I've updated via the method described.
Thanks. I'll look into doing that in the next couple of days.
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
SlowRain
Addict

I downloaded the .apk and installed it just fine. However, when I took out my SIM card and tried to update the app from the Market, it tells me "The requested item could not be found." So I'm going to assume it has something to do with VPNs. Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I downloaded the .apk and installed it just fine. However, when I took out my SIM card and tried to update the app from the Market, it tells me "The requested item could not be found." So I'm going to assume it has something to do with VPNs. Any suggestions?
Yes. You have to use VPN.
Comes in handy later on, when purchasing books from B&N, which requires VPN as well.
You can configure VPN directly on your Android unit. I'm using PureVPN. It's $ 6 per month and I only use it "on demand". Not much use yet for Android, iPhone/iPad on the other hand already have Netflix and other apps. On Android, I'm mainly using it for "Pandora".

Even when using VPN, I have to take out my SIM in addition.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
SlowRain
Addict

Thanks.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a free app that will set up a VPN with no monthly charges?

2. I may be able to buy a US SIM card for just a few bucks. Would it be cheaper and less of a hassle to do it that way instead?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Thanks.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a free app that will set up a VPN with no monthly charges?

2. I may be able to buy a US SIM card for just a few bucks. Would it be cheaper and less of a hassle to do it that way instead?
re. 1: I haven't found a free app. There are browser based VPNs, like HideMyAss.com for example. Maybe one of these is working. You may be able to purchase books from the B&N website that way. But you can't use that for the Android market app of course.

re. 2: I'm pretty sure, any US SIM won't be working outside of US. At least not out of the box (or it may be working, depending on your provider. But then you have to accept substantial roaming fees of course. VPN will be way cheaper). You most likely have to change APN and the likes. On Samsung Galaxy Tab, I can't configure the APN. It's pre-defined via my SIM. On nook for example you can overwrite the pre-defined APN (AT&T) from the US SIM with your own APN. But that's only possible on (soft)rooted nook. You probably can do the very same for your device. You should check forums specifically dedicated to you unit.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-02-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
SlowRain
Addict

I'm now thinking it's not worth the bother: too many hoops to jump through and fees to pay.

I'll still investigate that US SIMC card option as I think all it does is sit in your phone and trick the server into thinking you're an American. Everything else gets done through WiFi. But, even so, if I have to buy a US SIM card, my "free" Nook for Android app is no longer free.

Perhaps I'll just wait for B&N to pull their heads out of their @$$<$ and wise up to how the industry needs to go.

Thanks anyway. I guess I'll try Kindle.