Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Mario Vargas Llosa [Peruvian] wins Nobel Prize in Literature

Mario Vargas Llosa wins Nobel Prize in Literature.

This is a time of national celebration for Peruvians.

For me, it's a great personal moment, since I am a huge fan of his work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
This is a great moment of rejoicing for all of his fans, among which I'm included. Pantaleón y las visitadoras is a great book which should be taught in schools all over the world.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Completely deserved prize. My only objection is that it took soooo long!

I hope he gets more attention in North America now.

I agree with him when he says that literary activity should not be separated from civic responsibility. I like him a lot.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
Completely deserved prize. My only objection is that it took soooo long!
The Nobel prize for literature is intended to be a "lifetime achievement" award, so it's natural that it comes at the end of a writer's life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Nobel prize for literature is intended to be a "lifetime achievement" award, so it's natural that it comes at the end of a writer's life.
Hopefully not so ?! Or do they have their own "Murder Incorporated" over at the Nobel Committee?
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps I should say "it's awarded once the writer has established his or her reputation" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the next year should be Terry Pratchett's turn?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I must admit I have heard his name prior to the Nobel award, but never read him. If one were to begin, what would you fans recommend as a good place to start? It wouldn't hurt if your choice should be available as an e-book, but that's not a condition.

I have heard that he is a good teller of tales, which is more than can be said for most Nobel prize winners. If one of his books stands out in this respect it would be an advantage.

TIA
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I must admit I have heard his name prior to the Nobel award, but never read him. If one were to begin, what would you fans recommend as a good place to start? It wouldn't hurt if your choice should be available as an e-book, but that's not a condition.

I have heard that he is a good teller of tales, which is more than can be said for most Nobel prize winners. If one of his books stands out in this respect it would be an advantage.

TIA

I would recommend "Aunt Julia and The Scriptwriter." It's a very humorous tale and does not play with narrative Time within its structure.

It's a very, very funny book, in my opinion.

The ebooks are not yet out, but hopefully this will soon be corrected.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: dropped words
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa

I'd recommend you Captain Pantoja and the Special Service, a beautiful farce. Though I don't know how well it's translated: I read it in Spanish. The Time of the Hero (La ciudad y los perros) is another one of his masterpieces, as well as The War of the End of the World (La guerra del fin del mundo). It's notable to say that his earlier works have been more acclaimed than his later ones.

To any of you who are lucky to command Spanish even only a little bit, DO read him. He's one of the best writers of the century.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would agree with you if the Nobel prize had not been given to people in their FIFTIES like Hertha Muller of Orhan Pamuk. Llosa was justifying this prize for a long time and could have got this prize a lot earlier. The quality of his work justified that.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Interview synopsis here:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/07/m...bel-prize.html

“I think literature is an expression of life—and you can not eradicate politics from life. Even if you think politics is, in many cases, a disgusting, dirty activity.” -- Vargas LLosa

Quite dirty, as Pablo Neruda (and yours truly) would agree.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa

He knows very well: he ran for the Peruvian presidency in 1990... and he lost against Alberto Fujimori.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Does he have any english-language or translated books? I'd like to check him out!
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa

At least the three titles I've given are translated. As per in ebooks, only some quite expensive and obscure titles show up in Inkmesh.