Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Here's what is like to know. Why bother with spam in a language on a board where hardly anyone understand it?
It's all about the bots.... It doesn't matter that you can't read it, a bot will have seen it....

Quote:
Some spam messages also simply contain tags and hyperlinks intended to boost search engine ranking rather than target human readers.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's all about the bots.... It doesn't matter that you can't read it, a bot will have seen it....
If I understand you correctly, we aren't the targets, bots are?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #33
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Usually. It's all about the SEO. Google and other search engines see the links and tally them up. That moves the spammers higher up in the search lists.

Still, kind of humbling to know that even spammers aren't really interested in me. The must have hacked my credit report.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #34
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Prestidigitweeze said:
Quote:
Personally, I'm disgusted whenever I encounter ads that beseech the reader to regard LIVE! HOT! FORENSIC
CAT NOSTRILS IN YOUR ICE-FLAP EAR-MOLD MINTAMIN COMMODINATOR!!!, which is why I tend to ignore the sorts of threads we're discussing.

ETC. ETC. ETC.

Thank you for the best laugh of the day!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, we aren't the targets, bots are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Usually. It's all about the SEO. Google and other search engines see the links and tally them up. That moves the spammers higher up in the search lists.
This. The more often a search bots find a certain link, the higher it will get in the search engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Still, kind of humbling to know that even spammers aren't really interested in me. The must have hacked my credit report.
I find it rather anti-social! These forums are for us, not for bots! So, all posts should be for us....

Edit; and where are the mods when you need one!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Edit; and where are the mods when you need one!
Hey! Don't blame the mods. They do an excellent job of keeping spam at an absolute minimum. I'm fairly sure the Japanese spam got in because of time zone differences. If mods are located in Europé and the U.S. you can't expect them to also cover east asian time zones.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #37
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Hey! Don't blame the mods. They do an excellent job of keeping spam at an absolute minimum. I'm fairly sure the Japanese spam got in because of time zone differences. If mods are located in Europé and the U.S. you can't expect them to also cover east asian time zones.
I took her edit to be in reference to the guy who's spam-bombing the General Discussions thread right now. I think he's up to 15 posts. And there's no one "green" online.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I took her edit to be in reference to the guy who's spam-bombing the General Discussions thread right now. I think he's up to 15 posts. And there's no one "green" online.
How recognizably spammy is anyone whose ereader is the "2180917#post2180917"?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #39
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Ahh, sorry. Completely missed that. I'm usually on the User CP page.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
There wasn't but then I found a mod who was online at the same time as me and reported our 'bomber' to him. Of course it's not the mods fault that he got so many spams up even they have to take time to sleep and other such human needs. I figure that's where we the average member comes in. If someone sees a spam, report it! After all this forum is our home away from home, and therefore it's our job to help keep it clean of junk.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Damn! All gone! And I so wanted to try the love black magic!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Damn! All gone! And I so wanted to try the love black magic!
(in James Mason's voice) Perhaps next time!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #43
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There wasn't but then I found a mod who was online at the same time as me and reported our 'bomber' to him. Of course it's not the mods fault that he got so many spams up even they have to take time to sleep and other such human needs. I figure that's where we the average member comes in. If someone sees a spam, report it! After all this forum is our home away from home, and therefore it's our job to help keep it clean of junk.
We appreciate prompt reporting of spam 'bombers' -
And yes, even us super-powered green folk need to recharge the batteries at times - but never fear - spammers that attack MobileRead are doomed to oblivion! AKA, the trash can ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #44
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'm having a hard time deciding which are worse: spam threads or spat threads (the latter of which might involve spam threats).
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding which are worse: spam threads or spat threads (the latter of which might involve spam threats).
Good question. I imagine both spam bombers and trolls are a constant problem on any message board. Both find themselves getting the boot eventually though I would think. Though the troll might get a warning about his/her behavior 1st I would guess depending on how bad they behave and the present mood of the moderator who contacts them about whatever it is.