Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Why are prices higher in Canada than the US?

E-book Retailers Bet You're Willing to Pay...
Huff Post article today concerning the prices difference for ebooks between Canada and the US. The price differences at the Canadian Kindle Store did not go unnoticed!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12...n_2324155.html
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Look at the difference between the US and Australia.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In some cases it may be due to the book having a different publisher (in which case it's just as likely to be lower as higher). Often, Canadians get the UK publisher, not the US one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Cheshirecatt
Cheshirecatt began at the beginning.

Device: none
The prices in Australia are crazy high compared to the US for books,Kindles and music.
Cheshirecatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In some cases it may be due to the book having a different publisher (in which case it's just as likely to be lower as higher). Often, Canadians get the UK publisher, not the US one.
I've never seen a book I'm interested in cheaper in Canada than in the United States. I'm sure these books exist somewhere, but in my reading lists they are as mythical as Bigfoot.

I am glad we get the UK publisher in many circumstances and I am willing to pay an extra buck or two for original language.

I'm sure I haven't made much of a dent in the Canadian market, but my e-book purchasing and book purchasing for that matter has dropped considerably over the last year. My library is my friend. If the library ceased to exist, I'd probably just end up reading less.

You can tax illiteracy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've never seen a book I'm interested in cheaper in Canada than in the United States. I'm sure these books exist somewhere, but in my reading lists they are as mythical as Bigfoot.
There's a recent thread in the Kindle forum about the opening of Amazon's Canadian Kindle eBook store. There are several posts in that thread reporting somewhat lower prices in the Canadian store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
E-book Retailers Bet You're Willing to Pay...
Huff Post article today concerning the prices difference for ebooks between Canada and the US. The price differences at the Canadian Kindle Store did not go unnoticed!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12...n_2324155.html
Man, I was so excited to see in the article that there was a tie-in novel for Rush's "Clockwork Angels" (their current album, which is very good). Then I saw it was by Kevin J. Anderson.

EDIT: Huh. The Kindle edition's only $8.50 at Amazon.ca. Thought the $15.99/$16.18 quoted in the article was for the ebook (thus making the $11.99 for it at Kobo a great deal, though at least you can most likely use promo codes on it), but it's actually for the hardcover.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's a recent thread in the Kindle forum about the opening of Amazon's Canadian Kindle eBook store. There are several posts in that thread reporting somewhat lower prices in the Canadian store.
Yep, somewhat lower. They are more in line with Chapters which is nice and I'll probably move account to Canada in the new year. Canada is stuck with the higher cost legacy of a crappy dollar and crappy distribution. The fact that digital has removed most of those issues has left us with publishers making even more money off of us every time we buy an ebook.

I'm voting by spending less money on books in general.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's because electrons travel slower in the Great White North!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Canadian vs. US book pricing has always been odd, and it's never been eBook specific.

When I managed a bookstore in Canada during the early 90's the price differential between the two countries was usually $1.00CAD. With the prevailing exchange rate, that put the Canadian price lower in absolute terms. By around 2000 that had changed, with the differential increasing even as the exchange rates approached parity.

Canadians kept buying books as prices went up, so prices kept going up.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's because electrons travel slower in the Great White North!
That's what you get for not plugging them in overnight and putting winter tires on them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's what you get for not plugging them in overnight and putting winter tires on them.
I just get studded electrons for winter use.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I just get studded electrons for winter use.
Don't those wear out your ereader faster?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Don't those wear out your ereader faster?
That just gives me an excuse to get a new one.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
They will charge whatever the market will bear. They aren't a charity.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote