Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
PW battery

So I had it the PW fully charged yesterday.
Downloaded 4 books via 3g.
Read for about 5 hours.
Got an issue of the WSJ delivered to me via 3g.
Played around with settings a bit and organized collections.
All with screen light at 12.
Now the battery is at about 35-40%.

What are your experiences like?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I read 3 or 4 hours with the screen on at level 12 to 14 with WiFi constantly ON and my battery is down to approximately 70-80%.

If you are constantly running 3G due to WiFi issues, that is probably draining your battery pretty fast. You might want to activate Airplane mode.

Also, it takes a bit out of the battery to index books, even just a few like you downloaded.

I doubt we will see anything like the BS battery capacity that Amazon advertises. No way. But we should be able to at least read a few hours each day for several days.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Something I dislike of the Kindle PW: to turn wifi off, is all or nothing, including 3G ... via airplane mode
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Something I dislike of the Kindle PW: to turn wifi off, is all or nothing, including 3G ... via airplane mode
Agree. Plus it is buried deeper in menus so it takes a bit longer to do, and it cannot be done when a book is opened.

I wish WiFi and 3G could be set separately, even though WiFi overrides 3G when WiFi is available.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Agree. Plus it is buried deeper in menus so it takes a bit longer to do, and it cannot be done when a book is opened.
Yes, it can. When in a book, tap on menu, then "shop Kindle Store" and it asks if you want to turn Airplane Mode 'off.' [Cancel or OK] Perhaps not ideal but it can be done.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yes, it can. When in a book, tap on menu, then "shop Kindle Store" and it asks if you want to turn Airplane Mode 'off.' [Cancel or OK] Perhaps not ideal but it can be done.
Cool to know, thanks! Still a little Airplane icon in the book menu strip at the top of the page that simply turns it on and off would be nice, Amazon. Or you listening Amazon?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

After about 6 hours of reading with WiFi on and light level about 14 I'm down to approximately 2/3 charge (67%). Simple math suggests about 18 to 20 hours from full charge to a total discharge. Not very good if this rate of discharge holds up, especially since you should never discharge it below 30%. So it this rate I will get about 12 hours from full to 30%, so charging will be done quite often.

Next test I'll try using Airplane mode.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Recharge signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden
Not very good if this rate of discharge holds up, especially since you should never discharge it below 30%. So it this rate I will get about 12 hours from full to 30%, so charging will be done quite often.
My other Kindles give a signal when to recharge. I believe it is at the 15% level. Sometimes I let it go past the signal down to the 10% level.

I presume the PW will give a signal at the same level. I've been loading books and playing around with all the controls for the last 2 days.

Now all my books are loaded and I just gave it a full charge. I'll let you know when the signal goes off. I keep WiFi on all the time for autosyncing.

My Kindle Fire 1st Gen averages 5:30 hrs:min and lasts 5 days; and Kindle Kbd WiFi lasts 33 days.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-06-2012 at 10:59 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Cool to know, thanks! Still a little Airplane icon in the book menu strip at the top of the page that simply turns it on and off would be nice, Amazon. Or you listening Amazon?
I agree. I really wish that Amazon had left the feature as it was.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I agree. I really wish that Amazon had left the feature as it was.
As a K4 user I feel your pain. We have airplane mode as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
So, after dropping to about 35% percent yesterday, I was reading over dinner (well, plus a break from work) for almost 3 hours. WIFI on, not 3g. In a bright place, so I had brightness almost all the way up. The kindle was completely drained at the end.

Put it back to recharge (charging now).
But, by this first estimate, it has about 8-10 hours with 3g and a screen turned at the max. Maybe 12-15 hours with wifi and a screen half-way. And that's a generous interpretation.

That's at most half of what I was getting with the KT with the lighted cover. With wifi/3g and the light always on, I was getting about 30 hours. And that was not very impressive.

All in all, I am really not impressed with battery life of any of the ebook readers I have had. The various SONYs and the Kindles... under normal usage, I have ALWAYS had to recharge about twice a week. Granted, all of them had magazine subscriptions and I have always used 3g more than wifi because I am lazy...

But this PW seems to be a 'charge every second day' device, so far.
Hopefully something is skewed in my observations.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
So, after dropping to about 35% percent yesterday, I was reading over dinner (well, plus a break from work) for almost 3 hours. WIFI on, not 3g. In a bright place, so I had brightness almost all the way up. The kindle was completely drained at the end.

Put it back to recharge (charging now).
But, by this first estimate, it has about 8-10 hours with 3g and a screen turned at the max. Maybe 12-15 hours with wifi and a screen half-way. And that's a generous interpretation.

That's at most half of what I was getting with the KT with the lighted cover. With wifi/3g and the light always on, I was getting about 30 hours. And that was not very impressive.

All in all, I am really not impressed with battery life of any of the ebook readers I have had. The various SONYs and the Kindles... under normal usage, I have ALWAYS had to recharge about twice a week. Granted, all of them had magazine subscriptions and I have always used 3g more than wifi because I am lazy...

But this PW seems to be a 'charge every second day' device, so far.
Hopefully something is skewed in my observations.
Looks like mine is doing a little better than yours but I'm running with the light level at 14 and you are using about 24. Do you really need level 24? If I turn mine up that high indoors it is way to bright. Everyone has different eyes of course.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I estimate that I got about 12 hours going from a full charge to about 30%. I kept WiFi on and the light level was about 14 most of the time. Since it is not a good idea to allow Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries to drain too low, then I'm looking at recharging every 2 or 3 days.

Amazon claims: "A single charge lasts up to eight weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. Battery life will vary based on light and wireless usage."

That translates into 28 hours with no WiFi and light level at 10, so I guess 12 hours with WiFi and light level at 14 is about what should be expected. Still...that is a lot of recharging and that means a shorter life for the battery.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Extending battery life

Quote:
That translates into 28 hours with no WiFi and light level at 10, so I guess 12 hours with WiFi and light level at 14 is about what should be expected. Still...that is a lot of recharging and that means a shorter life for the battery.
Its best to wait for charging until the Kindle signals the 15% level. I read in my NowBible manual that a Lithium battery has an average life of 500 full charges.

Charging too frequently will hit that limit faster.

However, few of us will ever get close to that 500 charge number. Amazon keeps introducing new models and all of us here go for them and then discard the old models.

I leave WiFi on all the time to keep my units in continuous sync and keep the PW light at level 22 (default) of the possible 24.

My Kindle Fire 1st Gen was shipped to me on Nov 14, 2011. My Kindle Fire HD 7" will be shipped on Oct 25, 2012, at which time the other Fire will be going to my daughter. I have had 89 full charges on that one - far short of the 500 limit.

My Kindle Kbd WiFi 3rd Gen replacement was delivered on Sep 8, 2010, and has only had 29 full charge cycles - way under the 500 limit. I'm still keeping that for my wife's use.

I did a full charge on my PW and the battery icon shows only about 10% used in 2 days. Remember, I use it only in the day on a rocking chair by the living room window. I use my Kindle Fire at my desk in my Computer Room in the evening.

I really doubt any of us on this Forum (active early adopters) will ever see an eReader discarded due to battery failure from old age.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I haven't wanted to jump into this one because I'm also having pink/blue clouds and didn't want to appear to be 'piling on', but yeah, the battery life sucks. I haven't done specific measurements, just that gut instinct stuff--my KK went weeks and weeks (wifi on) without me even having to think about charging it. PW has already had to be charged up multiple times in six days of not very regular reading (and it was plugged in during my initial book load). I usually have backlight around 12 or lower. I suppose in the back of my head I'm hoping my screen-replacement unit will also have better battery life. For now, at least with my current unit, this really is feeling like the worst of all worlds in terms of product quality.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote