Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Either way, it's all out of my price range. I'm waiting for the price to drop on the Nexus 7.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When the part costs $41.50 (for iPad 3), I consider charging an extra $130 to be outrageous.
Triple key is standard markup for most types of retail. Others have even more. Take furniture and eyeglasses for example. Both can have as much as a 6 time markup.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Triple key is standard markup for most types of retail. Others have even more. Take furniture and eyeglasses for example. Both can have as much as a 6 time markup.
Apache
Pricing like that makes me walk away.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Either way, it's all out of my price range. I'm waiting for the price to drop on the Nexus 7.
I'm also waiting to see how Google reacts to the Fire HD. A price drop would be nice.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
There should be some devices offering top features for a relatively high price. Nothing wrong with that. Those top features will "trickle down" to the lower priced devices very soon. But if we don't have a cutting edge then there will be no progress. For those who don't want to pay those prices, just wait a few months.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I don't know how the general public or even the "Kindle attuned" public will act in the long run to Bezos new pricing scheme, but I will say this:

If Steve Jobs had come out with this, people would say "wonderful, a true genius, and storm the stores trying to get one in the right color."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #22
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I find it interesting that he believed that buyers of Kindle Fires would not be willing to pay a premium to opt out of ads, but buyers of the Paperwhite would.

Quote:
How does special offers, or the advertising, play a role in the price point?

We had it on our E-Ink devices, but haven’t had it on the Kindle Fire. For those, it’s very good, no one really buys the non-special-offers version. Everyone buys the special-offers version. There aren’t two versions of this (pointing to the new 7-inch Kindle Fire HD). That was a decision we made because no one is willing to buy the non-special-offers version.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Retailers have to charge to stay profitable. Unlike Internet only companies, they have to add on for building rent, employees, utilities, shipping, taxes and many other extras, that are the "cost of doing business".
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I don't know how the general public or even the "Kindle attuned" public will act in the long run to Bezos new pricing scheme, but I will say this:

If Steve Jobs had come out with this, people would say "wonderful, a true genius, and storm the stores trying to get one in the right color."
Chanting "MiMo WiFi, MiMo WiFi" endlessly.
Of course, Jobs would've called the modem feature by some cool trademarked name, like "AirZap", to hide the fact that it's a feature available on other equally good or better devices.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
...it's ONLY $499

No biggee for a multi-millionaire (or is he a billionaire?)
that's the premium model, for millionaires alone. And probably still cheaper than an iPatch.

what? I don't go whining I can't afford a yatch, I just buy a boat and get done with it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Chanting "MiMo WiFi, MiMo WiFi" endlessly.
Of course, Jobs would've called the modem feature by some cool trademarked name, like "AirZap", to hide the fact that it's a feature available on other equally good or better devices.
Ah, and yet another thread falls to the anti-Apple mob.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Ah, and yet another thread falls to the anti-Apple mob.
One joke does not constitute a mob.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I think the issue here is the KF models are price well above other top of the line models from brands not bearing fruit as a logo. Compare it to the Asus TF700 or the Galaxy Tab 2 or even the Galaxy Note 10.1. And we are talking these makers highest end models such as the Galaxy Note 10.1 with an active digitizer plus all the other "good stuff"..priced will under the 8.9" KF's with 4G. Of course 4G adds cost but I also do not buy the $41.50 number at this point in time the prices must have dropped significantly as every device out there is 4G. Heck there are 4G LTE prepaid phones you can buy for under $200 now and even those are overpriced. I believe Walmart/t-Mobile are selling the Galaxy S II (yeah old model I know with legal issues to boot) for $299. I can grab one today if I wanted.

Amazon has moved from a value added position to boutique pricing while at the very same time on the verge of gaining back pricing control for their core business, books. Must be nice to have this confluence of factors increasing profits.

All of our arguments will be rendered moot should the new KF's, especially those with 4G LTE, are a huge success. There are nice devices, I love the build of my original KF for sure, however it was poorly designed and made internally as Amazon disabled the auto-brightness sensor, the Wifi is borderline horrible, and battery runtime has never been above that "Mendoza Line" of about 4hrs streaming video.

I should add one area which impresses me for the new KF's is the indicated runtime of about 11hrs WHILE streaming video. That would be quite impressive if it is not marketing spin under some theocratic, errrr, theoretical ideal set of conditions. Still not sure it is worthy of that $500-$600 price.

As I mention above the consumer will decide this. But nobody will ever convince me that a device which is fundamentally designed as an entertainment device with, by all appearances, about a 9-15 month support period from Amazon, is worthy of the premium. Remember the original KF, which is what, about 10 or 11 months old, seems to no longer be receiving firmware updates or improvements. Not even restoration of original functions like that brightness sensor.

I really did not mean to rant on the "it's too expensive" bandwagon, I am not that sorta person. However I am disappointed with this path from Amazon. It comes from being a very ardent Amazon customer and supporter since they hit the web. So, I'll stop it because the devices themselves are well spec'd and if built like the original, with the construction of a tank. My KF is far more solid than my more budget minded Asus TF300t for sure.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
One joke does not constitute a mob.
I think we can coin another phrase to go along with the regular phrase "anti-Apple mob" chanting crew. "Thin skinned" crew.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I think we can coin another phrase to go along with the regular phrase "anti-Apple mob" chanting crew. "Thin skinned" crew.
Shrug. I'm not Apple, so it isn't like it it hurting me, it is just boring. The same posters, basically the same posts, again and again and again. The same 'jokes' ad nauseum.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote