Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #31
abrahaml
abrahaml began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I just have a jetBook, and I like it. Warts and all.
This is a forum and we're here to discuss. I'm not asking to be convinced and you don't have to be defensive. I was already convinced, evidenced by the money I paid for the product. The fact of the matter is that the qualities of the screen have yet to be fully described in the reviews I have seen. This thread is about the screen. Good and bad, let's discuss, and not hide behind our enthusiasm for the product.

It's a good reader, I am happy with my purchase. The screen has 0.5 second page turns, not instantaneous as advertised. Still much faster than 1st gen e-ink tech. I proposed a firmware update on the ectaco forum that would, IMO, improve the reading experience on the jetBook far beyond its current capabilities.

Now let's move on and continue to discuss the quality of the screen. Surely there is more to say to say about the screen than "I like it."
abrahaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Thanks for the feedback abrahaml! I do believe it is important to discuss both pros and cons, and I've seen the screen do the very things you've mentioned.

BTW, what file format gives you 0.5s page turns? Mine are much faster with PDF vs. ePUB. I don't think it's the screen that's the limitation (as you can obviously have fast refreshes when navigating menus)... more likely the processor.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #33
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I have been looking at that too. But I am afraid that it might have that awful, blue LED light quality. If you do please be sure to comment on it here. Thanks.
I have one, although I haven't really used it. I just pulled it out of the box to do a test for you.

Compared to my ARC Limited Edition LED flashlight that has an extra white LED, the Ectaco ear light does seem to have a slightly purplish cast (mostly around the edges). However, by itself, the ear light is not noticeably purple or blue.

I'm currently sitting underneath two CFL lights. When I shine the ear light onto a while sheet of paper, it looks white to me.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #34
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ectaco ear light

Ok, I just took the ear light into a dark room with my jetBook, to see how usable the light is. First, holding the jetBook about two feet from my nose, the ear light illuminates the entire jetBook evenly (not just the screen). That is the plus.

There are two minuses. Since the light is striking the screen almost perpendicular, you do get screen glare. If I angle the screen about five degrees to the left, the glare is gone and the screen is very readable (I have the light on my right ear). The other issue is that I have a hot spot in my peripheral vision, which is annoying. I guess that once you concentrate on what you are reading, you may not notice this any more.

The ear light seems no worse than any of several other designs that I have seen or tried over the years. The even coverage is better than many. The ear light uses a standard 2032 coin cell and is very comfortable.

End of unintentional mini review
Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #35
abrahaml

I'm using EPUB. I don't care for PDF, so I haven't really tried it. Do you know which formats are the fastest? TXT?
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #36
jgray
Fanatic

abrahaml,

I just noticed your login name. Your last name isn't Lincolni, is it? If it isn't and you don't get the B5 reference, sorry.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #37
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahaml View Post
For the time being, given the price I paid for the jetBook ($120 before tax+ship) I am well satisfied. It's adequate and will serve me well, I hope, for many years.

Abrahaml, did you really purchase your jetBook for $120 or it was the typo?
This price looks like unreal for me.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #38
abrahaml

jgray: a show I really want to watch but haven't had the time.

Kris777: It was an open box price but I received a new unit as far as I can tell.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #39
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:

Kris777: It was an open box price but I received a new unit as far as I can tell.
Fantastic price!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
I'm using EPUB. I don't care for PDF, so I haven't really tried it. Do you know which formats are the fastest? TXT?
TXT used to be really fast on 30i, but now in 33c/g, it seems as slow (or comparably slow) as ePUB.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #41
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Oops. I just looked it up and it seems I misspelled the name. It is Abrahamo Lincolni. The episode in question is called "Sic Transit Vir", in season three of Babylon 5.

When you get around to watching the show, you really need to watch them in sequence.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #42
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:

The way NewEgg describes their open box stuff is scary compared to your description.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #43
abrahaml

I suppose they need to cover their butts. I really didn't know what I was going to receive, though. It could have come with no accessories at all and they would have been covered by their descriptions and disclaimers.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #44
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
I suppose they need to cover their butts. I really didn't know what I was going to receive, though. It could have come with no accessories at all and they would have been covered by their descriptions and disclaimers.
Exactly and that's the scary part. I mean they make it sound like if they send you junk, you can ask for a refund, but they normally charge an outrageous restocking fee for everything.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #45
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
There are pros and cons to both eink and TFT. One thing I definately like about my Jetbook's screen is the fact that it DOESN'T flash as it changes pages.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote