Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Re: Downloading from EBookMall

Due to the current paucity of E books, available in the UK, I have been exploring downloading from the US. Amazingly, Sony excludes downloads to the UK from its Sony E Bookstore, so I tried others. EBookMall looked interesting, but on visiting the FAQ, I came to this question and answer:-

'Q: Do your Adobe eBooks work on the Sony Reader?
A: Sony Readers can read regular PDF files, but not digitally secure Adobe eBooks. The Sony Reader may be integrated into Adobe's eBook system at some point, but it has not been so far. Because of that, most of the Adobe eBooks at eBookMall are not compatible with the Sony Reader.'

I know that Adobe Digital Editions is readable by my PRS-505 as I have downloaded a couple of books in this format. EBookMall did not seem to be aware of this. Are they just out of touch or is there a problem downloading to the PRS-505, from this website?

If anyone can recommend US sites that download to the UK, please let me know.
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Fictionwise come highly recommended by me, before the recent firmware upgrade for the 505 (already applied on the UK ones), Sony Readers could only read standard PDF files, no secure version at all, so basically they're just a bit behind
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
I know that Adobe Digital Editions is readable by my PRS-505 as I have downloaded a couple of books in this format. EBookMall did not seem to be aware of this. Are they just out of touch or is there a problem downloading to the PRS-505, from this website?
The FAQ is just outdated. Initially PRS-505 did not support secure PDFs but with the latest firmware it does. If you can read the PDF with Digital Editions, you should be able to read it on the Reader .
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Re: Downloading from EBookMall

Thanks guy's for your comments.
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
Question 505 / 500 and Adobe

Do I understand correctly that with the new firmware the 505 supports Adobe
secure books, from fictionwise and using the digital editions ?, and ergo the 500 doesn't. That sucks.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you can read it in Digital Editions and/or eBookLibrary on your PC, you should be able to read it on the Reader (505 one).
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
Do I understand correctly that with the new firmware the 505 supports Adobe
secure books, from fictionwise and using the digital editions ?, and ergo the 500 doesn't. That sucks.
The claim from Sony is that there is not enough memory in the 500 to support this added functionality.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The claim from Sony is that there is not enough memory in the 500 to support this added functionality.
Sony never claimed that, some people here did. Sony just said it's "not feasible".
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Sony never claimed that, some people here did. Sony just said it's "not feasible".
OK, I stand corrected. But if it is not feasible then what other reason might there be? Even the 505 has problems on some ePUB files due to lack of available memory and it has much more than a 500. The 700 has more memory than the 505, likely twice as much.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
But if it is not feasible then what other reason might there be?
"Not feasible" is business speak for "the return is not worth the effort". The effort includes (besides the actual porting work which I suspect is not that hard) testing/QA, documentation, support, PR and various administrative work. Sony had to decide whether an EOLed model is worth this and decided that their resources are better spent elsewhere (e.g. on PRS-505 and PRS-700).