Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
brownetu
brownetu began at the beginning.

Device: none
iBooks TOC error in EPUB3

I'm working on an EPUB3, and the Table of Contents (the toc.xhtml file) shows in iBooks for iPhone & iPad, but will not link to the proper chapters. The file functions on other devices and other readers & validates perfectly, but I cannot figure out why the ibooks TOC will not function properly. I've scoured the iBooks Asset Guide, but have built the file according to specifications as far as I can see, so have not been able to come up with a solution.

Has anyone come across this before and/or have any ideas for fixes? I've tried the extra apple namespace, and tinkering with the file path in the href, removing the ol class...

Alternatively is there a way to force iBooks to read the .ncx file instead of the .xhtml as it's not functioning properly?

------from the .opf file------------------
<item href="Text/toc.xhtml" id="toc" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="nav" />
----------------------------------------------------

-----toc.xhtml-----------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Table_of_Contents</title>
<link href="../Styles/Instructio_idstyles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

<body id="Table_of_Contents" xml:lang="en-US">
<section epub:type="frontmatter">
<header>
<h1>Table of Contents</h1>
</header>

<nav epub:type="toc">

<ol class="TOC">
<li id="Preface">
<a href="Preface.xhtml">Preface</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_1_Challenging_Behaviors_of_Individual s _with_Developmental_Disabilit ies">
<a href="Chapter_1_Challenging_Behaviors_of_Individua ls_with_Developmental_Disabil ities.xhtml">Chapter 1: Challenging Behaviors of Individuals with Developmental Disabilities</a>
</li>
<li id="Chapter_2_The_Methodology_of_Functional_Asses s ment"><a href="Chapter_2_The_Methodology_of_Functional_Asse ssment.xhtml">Chapter 2: The Methodology of Functional Assessment: Process and Products</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_3_Treatment_Implications_Based_on_the _ Functional_Assessment">
<a href="Chapter_3_Treatment_Implications_Based_on_th e_Functional_Assessment.xhtml ">Chapter 3: Treatment Implications Based on the Functional Assessment</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_4_Teaching_Functional_Assessment_Cont e nt_and_Process">
<a href="Chapter_4_Teaching_Functional_Assessment_Con tent_and_Process.xhtml">Chapt er 4: Teaching Functional Assessment Content</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_5_Teaching_Functional_Analysis">
<a href="Chapter_5_Teaching_Functional_Analysis.xhtml ">Chapter 5: Teaching Functional Analysis</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_6_Functional_Analysis_Case_Training">
<a href="Chapter_6_Functional_Analysis_Case_Training. xhtml">Chapter 6: Functional Analysis Case Training/FACT</a>
</li>

<li id="Chapter_7_Resources">
<a href="Chapter_7_Resources.xhtml">Chapter 7: Resources for Team Members of Interdisciplinary Professionals</a>
</li>

<li id="References">
<a href="References.xhtml">References</a>
</li>

<li id="Glossary">
<a href="Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a>
</li>
</ol>
</nav>
</section>
</body>
</html>
-----------------------------------------
brownetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Did you declare the toc in your landmarks section? I don't see it. I see this:

Quote:
but not the landmark pointing TO it.

If I may, I'd also add: you do realize that nobody with first-gen ipads will be able to use this, right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you declare the toc in your landmarks section? I don't see it. I see this:

but not the landmark pointing TO it.

If I may, I'd also add: you do realize that nobody with first-gen ipads will be able to use this, right?

Hitch
HAHAHAHAHA! Even iBooks isn't compatible with iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
brownetu

I've tried declaring it in the landmarks section, but it didn't make a difference. Also a landmarks section isn't a required section for ibooks or for general validation, so it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! Even iBooks isn't compatible with iBooks.
Well the current version of iBooks won't run on the iPad 1. It looks like Apple's foresight was a bit off the mark when the iPad 1 was designed. They did not look forward enough to give it enough hardware to make it useable in the future releases. I think Apple recognized this error and from the Apple 2 on they have attempted to do better in this regard although there is no guarantee that at some point they will have to give up on older units.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownetu View Post
I've tried declaring it in the landmarks section, but it didn't make a difference. Also a landmarks section isn't a required section for ibooks or for general validation, so it shouldn't make a difference.
brownetu:

Well, the Landmarks section replaces the guide section, so yes, I'd think it would need to be included. Can you post your landmarks section, please?

Have you tried posting the toc sans anything but the page links themselves? Try some bracket navigation troubleshooting? First start by removing the id's, then the ol class, etc.? And what other nav elements do you have declared, in the book?

@Wolfie:

Nope, you are 100% correct. iBooks ePUB3 isn't compatible with iBooks on first-gen iPads. As usual, Apple has not only cavalierly abandoned the first-gen tablet, but was instrumental in driving the ePUB3 bus in such a way that the books made with it (which not only are giant wastes of bandwidth full of pretty-shiny things) won't work on their own device. Given that they were the prime mover in ePUB3, and how it's come out (utterly idiotically, I'd add; there wasn't a damn thing wrong with the NCX, nor how it worked; the point of this whole new nav element scheme makes NO sense), it's just typical Apple.

I mean, at least, with Amazon, whilst you have different devices, you CAN design reasonably graceful fallbacks. Not so with something like this--anyone with a first-gen either a) shan't be able to buy the book, or b) won't have the book work properly on their device. What's sensible about that?

Hitch
Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@Wolfie:

Nope, you are 100% correct. iBooks ePUB3 isn't compatible with iBooks on first-gen iPads. As usual, Apple has not only cavalierly abandoned the first-gen tablet, but was instrumental in driving the ePUB3 bus in such a way that the books made with it (which not only are giant wastes of bandwidth full of pretty-shiny things) won't work on their own device. Given that they were the prime mover in ePUB3, and how it's come out (utterly idiotically, I'd add; there wasn't a damn thing wrong with the NCX, nor how it worked; the point of this whole new nav element scheme makes NO sense), it's just typical Apple.

I mean, at least, with Amazon, whilst you have different devices, you CAN design reasonably graceful fallbacks. Not so with something like this--anyone with a first-gen either a) shan't be able to buy the book, or b) won't have the book work properly on their device. What's sensible about that?

Hitch
What's also wrong is that if you ave a 1st gen iPad and you go to the iBooksstore to buy a book, you have no idea if it will work or not because Apple doesn't label them as to what version you need. Even more stupidity.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's also wrong is that if you ave a 1st gen iPad and you go to the iBooksstore to buy a book, you have no idea if it will work or not because Apple doesn't label them as to what version you need. Even more stupidity.
That would indeed be stupid. Of course claiming it is stupid doesn't make it stupid. At the bottom of the page of each book on the store is a requirements section that identifies the iOS version and the iBooks version required. Calling something stupid when its not can make you look stupid.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That would indeed be stupid. Of course claiming it is stupid doesn't make it stupid. At the bottom of the page of each book on the store is a requirements section that identifies the iOS version and the iBooks version required. Calling something stupid when its not can make you look stupid.

Dale
Yes, it does. That's one thing about Apple: they do constantly remind you, if you don't have the latest and greatest, that you can't do X. ;-)

Hitch
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
brownetu

The mystery continues...I did try adding the landmarks section & with and without the ids & classes. Then, in the midst of moving computers, when I opened the file on my new mac, I saw an encryption file that I hadn't seen before. I deleted it, and the TOC suddenly worked. I'm not convinced this was actually the problem though, as I have another book with the exact same problem, and deleting the encryption file did nothing. :-/ Completely validated by idpf AND iTunes, and no luck getting the TOC workable on iPhones & iPads (desktop iBooks reads it fine though!).

In both documents its the only nav declared, the ol is set up to specifications, and the toc appears in the menu, but just keeps routing to the first page. This second book has a more barebones set-up, with no ids or ol classes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>toc</title>
</head>

<body epub:type:"toc frontmatter" id="toc">

<ol>
<li><a href="../Text/CoverImage.xhtml">CoverImage</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/The_Missing_Link.xhtml">The Missing Link</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Copyright.xhtml">Copyright</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Dedication.xhtml">Dedication</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/About.xhtml">About</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Table_of_Contents.xhtml">Table of Contents</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Preface.xhtml">Preface</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Acknowledgments.xhtml">Acknowledgements</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_1_Web_Development.xhtml">Section 1 Web Development</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_1_Assessments.xhtml">Section 1 Assessments</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_2_Document_Markup.xhtml">Section 2 Document Markup</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_2_Assessments.xhtml">Section 2 Assessments</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_3_Scripting_Languages.xhtml">Section 3 Scripting Languages</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_3_Assessments.xhtml">Section 3 Assessments</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_4_Persistent_Data_Storage.xhtml">Section 4 Persistent Data Storage</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_4_Assessments.xhtml">Section 4 Assessments</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Section_5_Tying_it_Together.xhtml">Section 5 Tying it Together</a></li>

<li><a href="../Text/Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a></li>

</ol>
</nav>
<nav epub:type="landmarks">
<h1>Guide</h1>
<ol>
<li>
<a epub:type="cover" href="CoverImage.xhtml">Cover</a>
</li>

<li>
<a epub:type="toc" href="toc.xhtml">Table of Contents</a>
</li>

<li>
<a epub:type="glossary" href="Glossary.xhtml">Glossary</a>
</li>

</ol>

</nav>
</body>
</html>
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

brownetu:

So, this is NOT working, is that right?

Hitch
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
brownetu

That is correct. The first coding I posted DOES work, with NO changes from the original coding I have there, and the second still doesn't. I may try recoding it from scratch and deleting the old one to see what happens, because I'm at a loss as to what else to try.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
brownetu

Angry One step forward, two steps back

Got it to work on the iPhone & iPad...which broke it for desktop iBooks & Readium

Removed the "../" from the file paths in the TOC doc and then iPhone iBooks linked the documents properly. BUT desktop readers don't link the TOC. Take out the "Text/" and just put the file name, the desktop readers link properly, and mobile devices don't. It seems like a horrible catch-22, as well as being an incomprehensible error because other documents with the full file path read correctly on all platforms. But I can't find any other variable to try to make it work on all platforms.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #14
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
EPUBCheck is your friend. It can be very useful in tracking down problems like these.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub3, ibooks, nav, toc, toc problems