Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #76
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
rwhe, I just used the version included in the attachment to this post and named the files exactly how you were mentioning.
It worked. Thanks! It didn't seem to matter whether I named the base fonts *-Regular.ttf or just *.ttf, by the way.

So these are Kindle fonts. I wonder why they work where the ones I downloaded from http://www.linuxlibertine.org do not. I've never had trouble with random downloaded fonts (e.g., Droid) on Kobo Touch or Glo before.

I'll look into it later.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #77
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I'd love to add a couple of the lovely fonts discussed in this thread to my Glo, but I am confused.
I believe I make a directory on the root of my Glo called Fonts. I stick the font files in there, but I am unsure how you know what to name the font files.
For instance, the couple of posts above me talk about a font I'd like to try, Linux Libertine. The folder I downloaded (thanks for the link) has various files for the fonts. The 'regular' one is called 'Linux Libertine' - that's what it says next to "font name" when I double click the file, and in the menu bar of the window that shows the font. The italic version is also called Linux libertine, but the menu bar calls it 'Linux Libertine Italic.' Would the filename 'Linux Libertine Italic.ttf' work for my Kobo? How do I know what to rename the file if it is not this?
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #78
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I'd love to add a couple of the lovely fonts discussed in this thread to my Glo, but I am confused.
I believe I make a directory on the root of my Glo called Fonts. I stick the font files in there, but I am unsure how you know what to name the font files.
For instance, the couple of posts above me talk about a font I'd like to try, Linux Libertine. The folder I downloaded (thanks for the link) has various files for the fonts. The 'regular' one is called 'Linux Libertine' - that's what it says next to "font name" when I double click the file, and in the menu bar of the window that shows the font. The italic version is also called Linux libertine, but the menu bar calls it 'Linux Libertine Italic.' Would the filename 'Linux Libertine Italic.ttf' work for my Kobo? How do I know what to rename the file if it is not this?
The font should be named the same as the system sees the font, so in the case of Linux Libertine, it's exactly that. You'll have 4 different font file, and you want to name each one in the style <Font Name>-<Font Weight>, so for Linux Libertine, you should have 4 files:

Linux Libertine.ttf (or Linux Libertine-Regular.ttf)
Linux Libertine-Italic.ttf
Linux Libertine-Bold.ttf
Linux Libertine-BoldItalic.ttf

For many fonts, the name can simply be what you'd expect it to be, but for some, the actual font name is different than what seems obvious. And you are correct, all these files go into a folder called "fonts" on your Kobo.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #79
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Thank you buffaloseven! I have Charis Sil, Linus Libertine, Delma and Times New Roman now showing up on my Glo. I am now going to bed half an hour earlier than usual to sit up and read and play with new fonts.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #80
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
And you are correct, all these files go into a folder called "fonts" on your Kobo.
Remember the name of the "fonts" folder is all lower-case.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #81
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
I have put the font I chose into the font folder that i created in the Kobo root, and named it correctly with the 4 styles. I also tried turning the device on and off, which did not work either. Please help!
I'm new to all this so forgive my ignorance.
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
I have put the font I chose into the font folder that i created in the Kobo root, and named it correctly with the 4 styles. I also tried turning the device on and off, which did not work either. Please help!
I'm new to all this so forgive my ignorance.
Couple of items to check.

The folder in the root of the Kobo is called "fonts"? The name is case sensitive.

The fonts are named correctly? To check the font name, on a Windows machine, double click the font file and see what name is displayed. Often this is not the name of the font file. On my computer, the Dark Courier font files, for example, are called dour45w.ttf, dour46w.ttf, dour65w.ttf and dour66w.ttf. After renaming to Dark Courier-Regular.ttf (-Italic, -Bold and -BoldItalic) and copying to the fonts folder, I had a decent looking monospace font. The -Regular is not actually needed but keeps the file names consistent. I've seen -R, -I, -B and -Z suggested as well.

The epub file does not have an embedded font? I've used Sigil on several occasions to remove an embedded font since they very often do not look good on an eInk screen.

The added fonts will show after most of the Kobo's builtin fonts on the font menu -- OpenDyslexic shows as if it was an added font.

I've added two images of the root and fonts folder on a Glo.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_root.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	98914   Click image for larger version

Name:	font-folder.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	98915  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #83
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

New Fonts

Thanks DNSB,
I will give that a go.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #84
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover

New Fonts now Work

To DNSB,
Thanks for your kind help. It was the title of the folder. I had put a capital F for fonts, when it should have been in lower case.
Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #85
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Interestingly, I just found out that my Mini with 2.1.5 allows me to adjust the weight and sharpness of fonts embedded in sideloaded books (Charis SIL, for reference). Kind of cool. Pretty sure I'm sticking with 2.1.5 for a long while.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #86
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover

Garamond or Goudy?

Could someone post a link to a more heavily weighted Garamond or Goudy font, as they both look anorexic on the glo and downright terrible on the K4B. If anyone could that would be really appreciated.
Polly7
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #87
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Does anyone have any idea of how the Kobo fonts have variable stroke weight or how we might find or create/modify other fonts with that feature or what might be involved? I really like my Glo, but with the lighting turned on I find I prefer a heavier than normal font in the mid to smaller sizes because the fonts appear to be less than black -a slight contrast issue, seemingly improved with heavier stroke weights.

BTW, thank you all for the heavier fonts that have been linked.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #88
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
@polly7: I made you a heavier Garamond and Goudy. I'm not able to view them on the Glo myself at this moment, so it's a bit of a gamble. Especially the Goudy may still be too light. Couldn't find a BoldItalic for either font on my PC.
I think the naming is according to what the Kobo needs.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Garamond and Goudy edited.rar (283.5 KB, 1343 views)
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #89
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Does anyone have any idea of how the Kobo fonts have variable stroke weight or how we might find or create/modify other fonts with that feature or what might be involved?
My impression is that whether advanced font settings are available or not is not in each case dependent on a special property of the font but rather is decided somehow by the software. This impression is based on the following observations:

1) If a font is embedded in an epub it is impossible to override the font face by the font settings. You can open the font settings menu and change the font face to whatever you want the text is displayed with the embedded font. But if you select a font face that allows advanced font settings and make changes to them those advanced features get applied to the embedded font, cf. this post.

2) If there are characters (e.g. from an Indian script) in an epub.kepub that are not supported by the selected font those characters get displayed in another font that supports them provided such a font is installed. If the selected font allows advanced features then they work also on the replacement font, independent whether these features were selectable for the replacement font originally. Also the height, for instance, of the Indian characters varies according to the selected font (They become bigger with Malabar selected, smaller with Amasis).

Among the fonts that come with the Kobo only the Japanese fonts do not allow selection of advanced features. In order to test whether one can make advanced features work for Japanese text with the method described in 2) I took a kepub.epub with Japanese text, selected a non-Japanese Kobo font and changed the advanced font settings. To my disappointment, I was unable to see any change in the display, I mean concerning the advanced features. There was, however, some change. The Japanese characters became extremely small, changing of the font size did not have any effect. Even CSS font size settings for this passages got ignored if a non-Japanese font was selected. It seems understandable that monospaced fonts are resistant against advanced features.

So my guess is that every non-monospaced font is, theoretically, suitable for advanced font features, but the software decides whether they are applied and allows user selection only for Kobo fonts. As reported in another thread, it does not help to copy a font into the font folder of the system partition.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #90
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
@polly7: I made you a heavier Garamond and Goudy. I'm not able to view them on the Glo myself at this moment, so it's a bit of a gamble. Especially the Goudy may still be too light. Couldn't find a BoldItalic for either font on my PC.
I think the naming is according to what the Kobo needs.
Thanks Bart!!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote