Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle DRM-free) RACE by Mobashar Qureshi [Canadian Satirical Crime Novel] +KDP

A quick dip into the slushpile today since I have very limited time to look things up before I head out.

We do have some nice stuff from just the authors I recognized from having previously featured, and some nifty Canadiana, too.

RACE by Mobashar Qureshi, is a satirical Toronto-set crime novel about an ambitious cop, originally printed by Mercury Press in 2006 and was the author's debut novel, which has garnered praise from The Globe & Mail, among others.

This, apparently, is what probably got him the nod for the 2007 top 10 list of upcoming mystery writers in Quill & Quire, which is like a Canadian equivalent of Publisher's Weekly.

Free without DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT

Description
Parking Officer Jon Rupret, an ambitious young man with a knack for getting in trouble, wants desperately to move up from handing out parking tickets. An impulsive act from his past throws him into Operation Anti-RACE—a unit set up to stop RACE, a dangerous and violent group on the verge of creating an illegal drug.

Rupret quickly realizes he may be in way over his head.

RACE is a humorous look at Toronto through Jon Rupret’s eyes.

approx. 68,000 words or 420 printed pages.

This is only what I had time to both look at and type/link. I'll see if I can add some more of it if I get to use my break time, although the first set of links should keep you occupied for a good long time if you like mystery/thriller/horror. The rest of it is as-yet unsorted, so keep scrolling until you think you see something you might like.

Blake Crouch andJack Kilborn aka J.A. Konrath again offer roughly 2 dozen of their works, both combined and solo. Some are repeats from the last mega-freebie promotion they did in December, some look new. Scott Nicholson also freebies a large batch of his own works.

Previously-featured HarperTorch-published Lynn Emery offers a contemporary romance set in Louisiana: A Time to Love

Dana Taylor offers a contemporary romance with a touch of the supernatural, originally small-press published by Echelon (who published another author previously featured) in 2005: Devil Moon Reviews for her other books seem to indicate possibly faith-based themes in her work.

Previously-featured Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine Reader's Choice Award-winner Dave Zeltserman offers an early hard-boiled PI novel, small press published by Point Blank in 2000: Fast Lane

Bill Crider, who praises Zeltserman in the blurb for the above, offers his own 4th in the PI Truman Smith series, originally published by Walker in 1996: The Prairie Chicken Kill (Truman Smith Mystery Series)

Previously-featured Harlequin-or-Zebra-published Patricia Watters offers a contemporary romance: Perilous Pleasures

Previously-featured Australian sf/fantasy writer and fellow MR member author Patty Jansen offers a YA fantasy: Watcher's Web

Jove-published CJ Lyons offers: SNAKE SKIN (A Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller)

TV show tie-in writer and fellow MR member author Lee Goldberg offers an omnibus edition of his vigilante thriller: The Jury Series (Four Complete Novels)

Enjoy!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got some more, but only a few - probably no more than 6 or 7.

As always, thank you for your links to these.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All that Kilborn/Konrath/Crouch/Nicholson stuff is flooding the "new $0.00" aggregate listings I normally use and making it hard to sort stuff out, as apparently the listings get reset when updated to include new and remove expired stuff and one has to go through all the pages of them again. And apparently Amazon has spent the past couple of days deciding to play pricing catch-up with a bunch of long-term Smashwords freebies as well.

There's some stuff I'll check later against the ISFDB, but for now, these are the writers whose names I recognized from previously or had an immediately-visible publication credit:

It turns out Lee Goldberg has 8 things free, some of them repeats or omnibus/singles otherwise previously offered: Linkage to pull them all up

Edgar/Bram Stoker nominee Billie Sue Mosiman offers: THE SCREAM-A Werewolf Tale

Tie-in novel writer (I think he did Star Trek or gaming) David Bain offers: THE PIT OF CORMAIR: A Shin and Skulk High Fantasy Sword and Sorcery Adventure

Kensington-published Kate Silver offers a romance: Tempting Taine

Gayle Wrigglesworth offers a 2004 novel printed by Koenisha, who seem to have at least 5 fiction writers in their stable. This is the 1st in a series with travelling as the amateur sleuth gimmick: Tea is for Terror (The Claire Gulliver Mysteries)

EC Sheedy who had a story collected in one of those Mammoth reprint anthologies offers a contemporary romance written as Carole Dean: One Tough Cookie

M.J. Rose repeats her stalker thriller: The Venus Fix (The Butterfield Institute)

Julianne Maclean offers her ARE Xmas countdown feature novel, a time travel western romance with a mystery element: Taken by the Cowboy

Big-6-paperbacked Cheyenne McCray writing erotic romance as Jaymie Holland offers: Alluring Stranger (Taboo)

Speaking of erotic romance/erotica, there's a huge slew of stories KDP-freebied by Excessica Publishing, which is run by Selena Kitt, who co-authored one of those Crouch/Kilborn books: Linkage to pull up the lot, though some are also Smashwords price-matches.

Previously-featured probably Canadian with-a-few-stories-published Chester Burton Brown offers a short sf tale: Felix and the Frontier

And just because the following are Relevant To My Interests

Professor Rick offers: Kitchen Science for Kids: Physics Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad, maybe he teaches kids to blow up the microwave by demonstrating built-up internal pressure from nuking potatoes you don't poke enough holes into. Whatever. It's a nice change from seeing the same half-dozen thriller stories repackaged and re-freebied umpteen times.

Izabela Pitcher offers the self-explanatory: How to Make a Tudor Kirtle and a Gown (Prior Attire Historical Costuming Articles) While I don't engage in historical recreationism myself, I often enjoy watching other people do it, and she's got a pretty decent gown made-up, from the look of the cover photo.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard

Academia, historicals, sleuthy mysteries, and literary fiction, plus a rather nifty looking historical AU fantasy by an established sf/fantasy author. The slushpile is perking up!

John Whitbourn (ISFDB entry) appears to have had a moderately lengthy writing career, with short stories appearing in DAW anthologies and a novel from publisher Orion. He offers an interestingly-looking historical fantasy/horror set in the Napoleonic Era, and involving Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace (if you know anything about early computing or standard steampunk, you should know these names) and the Scarlet Pimpernel: Frankenstein's Legions

Tom Robertson's play was performed at the Toronto Fringe Festival in 2006 and he now offers the script to: Napoleon vs the Turk

Todd C. Riniolo is a professor of social sciences and has had a non-fiction book published by semi-academic imprint Prometheus, as well as publications in peer-reviewed journals. Accordingly, he offers: Freud, Murder, and Fame: Lessons in Psychology's Fascinating History

Similarly, the Joseph Campbell Foundation offers: Myths to Live By (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell)

Signet-paperbacked J. Carson Black offers 8 assorted mystery/thriller/suspense, including one of the aforementioned Signet-paperbacked ones from circa 2006: Linkage to pull all of them up.

Aruna Sharan claims to be the pen-name of HarperCollins-published Sharon Maas, whose own blurb says that she used to live in India. She offers a Hindu-mythology-based historical novel: Sons of Gods -- The Mahabharata Retold

James Scott Bell, who appears to have a lot of Writer's Digest "how to write" guides and many paperbacks released by Christian publisher Zondervan offers what looks like a suspense story, from the context of the blurbed praise: No Laughing Matter: A Short Story

Nancy Sweetland (ISFDB entry) offers her 1984 printed fantasy short story, along with three other fantasy/mystery shorts: Linkage to pull them all up.

John August, a screenplay writer for several major films (IMDB entry) offers a creepy short story: Snake People

I doubt there's two people with Catherine Czerkawska's name who write media stuff for a living (IMDB entry, probably). She offers some kind of literary fiction novel set in the 60s and blurbed as "Wuthering Heights meets The Bridges of Madison County". Apparently she also writes plays for BBC Radio, so hopefully this will have decent literary merit: Bird of Passage

Phyllis A. Humphrey once wrote a business-advice book for Wiley back in the day. She now offers an historical novel set on the Titanic: Cold April

Newbie-looking small press Camel which offers Humphrey's book above also offers an interesting-looking art theft mystery/thriller which claims praise in its blurb by several well-established mystery authors for its newbie writer, who herself is a member of the Mystery Writers of America (albeit otherwise unpublished). So possibly you may want to try Cathi Stoler's: Telling Lies

Robert J. Duperre, who has had a couple of anthologized short stories (ISFDB entry) offers 5 free supernatural thriller-ish things: Linkage to pull them up, along with some non-free stuff which stubbornly refuses to be filtered out.

Small-press-published Gordon Ryan offers one of his political/military thrillers, should you have missed the omnibus edition earlier: Uncivil Liberties (A Pug Connor Novel #2)

Midge Raymond's story collection, originally published by Eastern Washington University and picked up for re-publication by a small Washington state press which has a number of litfic authors in its stable, apparently won the 2007 Spokane Prize for Short Fiction. She offers one short story from it, involving biologists, penguins, and Antarctica, which was published in The Ontario Review: The Ecstatic Cry.

David Williams' historical drama about the pioneers of the railway age was apparently an Amazon Breakthrough Award Semi-Finalist for 2011. So if you want to give a try to a perhaps promising-looking indie who's been read and judged by more than a handful of people: Mr Stephenson's Regret

While I'm at it, I might as well note that one of the erotica stories offered by Excessica in the previous update is Piers Anthony's: Juliet for those who are curious as to how it would compare to his regular sf/fantasy risquéness.

Happy reading, if indeed you manage to spot something you think you might like and it's still free by the time you see it.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-02-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: The map is not the territory. The genre is not the title. Fixed incorrect name.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Holy cow! Between you and Dr. Drib's party-in-a-box-set thread, I scored 24 today! Although technically I guess it's 39 if one were to count the box set books separately.

39 free books! And that's only downloading the ones I really want! I've been doing the ebook thing for over a year now, and I'm still completely in awe of this. Books and reading are such a big part of my life, and have been since I was a small child. I know I've posted before about how much I love your freebie posts, but this stuff really MEANS something to me that's so hard to explain.

Jeeze, I'm about to get teary-eyed over free books. I SWEAR I only had one drink tonight.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert