Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #91
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The slow refresh rate of the eInk screen won't support magic pictures.
I'm talking about audio. It seems odd of them to go down a path producing Kindle books that don't work on a Kindle, without at least using all the Kindle's capabilities.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
She can't be President - you have to be born in the U.S. for that to happen here.
*Waits patiently for the first "Birther Movement" inspired comment*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #93
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post

So I stand by my tree killing statement above.
Not that i really want to get into a environmental debate but... chopping down trees and using them for pulp or building supplies is actually good for the environment IF they are farmed trees.

If you accept that carbon dioxide emission by humans is the driving cause of "global warming" or "climate change" AND if you believe that warming/change is BAD then growing trees, chopping them down and turning them into product that will be kept for many many years and replanting new trees to continue this cycle is a great way to extract carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and sequester it.

Also, while they are growing, those farmed trees provide homes and natural migration corridors for wildlife
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #94
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
*sigh*

Someday, somehow, we will have a mobile read thread that doesn't go off the rails over the pros/cons of piracy.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow...
Amen and K to that.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #95
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Not that i really want to get into a environmental debate but... chopping down trees and using them for pulp or building supplies is actually good for the environment IF they are farmed trees.

If you accept that carbon dioxide emission by humans is the driving cause of "global warming" or "climate change" AND if you believe that warming/change is BAD then growing trees, chopping them down and turning them into product that will be kept for many many years and replanting new trees to continue this cycle is a great way to extract carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and sequester it.

Also, while they are growing, those farmed trees provide homes and natural migration corridors for wildlife
But the environmental impact of paper books is not limited to farmed trees. IIUC, the chemicals and bleaching involved in the paper making process alone are not good for the environment.

Then there's the fact that those farmed trees probably aren't being planted and cut down by hand. One presumes that fossil fuels feature heavily in the "seed-to-book" process.

AND the shipping. Etc.

But it seems you already realize that and you were calling me out for poor phrasing on my choice, which is valid in my book. I apologize for going the quick-and-snippy-but-somewhat-inaccurate-in-the-details route.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #96
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you're saying, "I won't publish in eBook format because kids don't have eReaders", then you're acknowledging implicitly that adults DO
That's not really true. Logically speaking, it might mean that NO ONE has eReaders.....

In a slightly more practical view, she may have meant "eReaders are rare even among adults, and exceedingly rare among children."

Truthfully, I have no idea what she meant by it, if anything, but I did take 'Language and Logic' in college.

Last edited by ApK; 06-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #97
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's not really true. Logically speaking, it might mean that NO ONE has eReaders.....
I discounted that in my analysis, since we can prove that eReaders are, in fact, being sold to SOMEONE.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #98
ApK

Quote:
I discounted that in my analysis, since we can prove that eReaders are, in fact, being sold to SOMEONE.
<fauxlawyermode>Can we prove she knew that at the time? </fauxlawyermode>
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #99
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
*Waits patiently for the first "Birther Movement" inspired comment*
I knew someone was going to catch that... *grin*
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #100
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
<fauxlawyermode>Can we prove she knew that at the time? </fauxlawyermode>
No, but I suppose that would be a DIFFERENT TV Trope. Instead of You Fail Logic Forever, she would get Did Not Do The Research.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #101
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
You might want to read up on "biological desert". It is a serious issue.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #102
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Maybe JKR is waiting for really enhanced ebooks, where you can have the moving paintings and moving photos in newspapers.
I'm not gonna lie, I'd gladly even pay extra for enhanced versions of the ebooks. And that's despite having them twice over digitally (cough) and in print. Moving illustrations, or video interviews with behind-the-scenes tidbits would be fantastic. Then again, I'm that HP nerd who's spent hours reading the Harry Potter Lexicon for fun.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #103
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Will anything short of the announcment of a new book be a flop of an announcement?

I heard speculation that the announcement could be the release of HP as ebooks, some kind of online game, a HP dictionary, some kind of social networking thing, etc. However, I can't say that any of these would really interest me. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see HP as ebooks, but I've already read the books so its not a huge deal for me personally if she sticks to not releasing them as ebooks. On the other hand, if she announces a new series with new characters in the HP world then THAT would be huge news. I'm afraid anything short of that is going to be "meh".
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #104
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

But it seems you already realize that and you were calling me out for poor phrasing on my choice, which is valid in my book. I apologize for going the quick-and-snippy-but-somewhat-inaccurate-in-the-details route.
but i believe more "natural" farming of trees can help enhance the environment instead of being a detriment to it. something between clear cutting old growth and regimented pulp farms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You might want to read up on "biological desert". It is a serious issue.
My wife is a professional wetland scientist and spends most of her time doing wetlands restoration. I am familiar with the term, understand the need for biodiversity, and understand the issues surrounding farm runoff into waterways and into the oceans.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #105
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The slow refresh rate of the eInk screen won't support magic pictures.
You mean like this...

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote