Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think, in fairness, that Vista is extremely stable. The issue isn't with stability, but with the fact that the "security model" of Vista has been damatically "tightened", making it a lot more secure against attacks. The other side of the coin, though, is that a lot of "legacy" software will have to be modified in order to be compatible with Vista.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know.. I'll switch to Vista once XP is no longer supported.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #33
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
easy peasy way

all you have to do is install book designer 4.0 any where except in the c/program files
for some reason it wont work in there

then just copy & paste the update over the original & delete original shortcut and create a new one from folder

easy peasy

ANDYAFRO
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #34
scottb
scottb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I still can't get this to work with a Vista Business install. I click on Sony Reader and nothing happens - seems to be working fine with all other book types. I tried everything - reinstalling local space, running as administrator, checking permissions - and nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this issue and been able to resolve it? Thanks!
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
I still can't get this to work with a Vista Business install. I click on Sony Reader and nothing happens - seems to be working fine with all other book types. I tried everything - reinstalling local space, running as administrator, checking permissions - and nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this issue and been able to resolve it? Thanks!
Did you properly install the 4.0 version and then copy the update over the installed copy?
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #36
scottb

yes, i did. i've also tried an older version of book designer that supported the reader, also, with no luck. thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
yes, i did. i've also tried an older version of book designer that supported the reader, also, with no luck. thanks for your help!
One more suggestion.. Try the following thread, it has a link to something Vista is missing that XP had built-in that might be the reason why BD is not working.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #38
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One more suggestion.. Try the following thread, it has a link to something Vista is missing that XP had built-in that might be the reason why BD is not working.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786
I think that's a dead link. You can get the missing software here though:

http://tinyurl.com/y8gz4y
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #39
scottb

i did install that before installing bd, but still not working. anyone else still having this problem? is a new version coming soon?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
I think that's a dead link. You can get the missing software here though:

http://tinyurl.com/y8gz4y
Thank you for pointing out the dead link. The messages where the dead links are have been fixed to have the working links.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
i did install that before installing bd, but still not working. anyone else still having this problem? is a new version coming soon?
One thing I just remembered is that the new security in Vista can possibly cause a problem if you install to "Program Files". Try uninstalling BD and installing to another directory not in "Program Files" and see how that goes. Supposedly it has something to do with write access and you need write access to some of the subdirectories with BD.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #42
scottb

yah i installed it in my local space, still not working.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
yah i installed it in my local space, still not working.
Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?

If 32-bit, then the only other suggestion is to go find yourself a copy of WindowsXP.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #44
scottb

it's 32-bit -- i'm gonna try to stick it out with vista. will let you know if i figure it out.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #45
scottb

is vvv still around? anybody else able to solve this problem?