Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the numbers go in order from 1-9;0 starting with the letter Q?
Isn't that what the label/decal linked by mgrande shows? Or is your comment perhaps referring to some other post?

Good find, mgrande, thank you!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Isn't that what the label/decal linked by mgrande shows? Or is your comment perhaps referring to some other post?
No, my comment refers to how easy it seems to be figure out without the aid of an overlay... for those who can count to ten, anyway. And since I assume relatively few people are writing hexadecimal code on the Kindle, I can't see a real advantage for being able to get to the number "6" or his cousin "4" super-quick.

No biggie... just a dumb joke on my part.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No, my comment refers to how easy it seems to be figure out without the aid of an overlay... for those who can count to ten, anyway. And since I assume relatively few people are writing hexadecimal code on the Kindle, I can't see a real advantage for being able to get to the number "6" or his cousin "4" super-quick.

No biggie... just a dumb joke on my part.
Oh man, and I totally failed to grasp the joke. I agree that it seems rather easy to remember what letter is for what number, still the overlay may be of some help to those that are visually inclined.

I haven't had a need to even use the keypad as yet, let alone the numbers, so I will bow out of this conversation now.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I don't have a K3 (just a coupla K2's and a 1) BUT you need to use numbers for "Go To Location" so there is some need for them. I know I would miss them, anyway.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't have a K3 (just a coupla K2's and a 1) BUT you need to use numbers for "Go To Location" so there is some need for them. I know I would miss them, anyway.
You raise a valid point that I neglected to think about.
But I rarely do anything except read books from beginning to end - without a lot of Location Hopping, so at least I have an excuse.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I tried using a label maker but could not get the spacing right.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
I used a Sharpie Silver pen to put the numbers over the top row of letters and found that my calligraphy was too 'chunky' and ended up only doing 1-3-5-7-9. It took about a month for 3,5,9 to get rubbed off by my normal grip. Have no idea why 7 endured and guess 1 survived due to being in the gap between my thumb and hand.

My next attempt has stuck for a lot longer. I 'surrounded' the odd buttons with little dashes in the form of a U shape. One big one for 1, three smaller ones for three, etc. I tried to make each segment roughly the same length. Making nine small ones for 9 was ... entertaining. And that's that's worked for the last few months. My normal grip tends to avoid the buttons for obvious reasons. And I don't do a lot of typing to begin with. So there's no 'constant' wear and tear on the surface where the ink now 'hides.'

Would I prefer Amazon had etched the numbers onto the Kindle? Sure. And the set listed above is certainly useable in all likelyhood. But a Silver Sharpie has lots of uses (label all power worts, for instance) and if/when your scheme wears off, it's easy to re-apply. And you can buy one at your local Office Depot for less than the delivered cost of the labels.

Just an idea.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
Nemo.y.lee
Nemo.y.lee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Alt+first line is best method, i believe
remeber that somebody put a shortcuts tip in this forum
you should look it up by yourself
Nemo.y.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #24
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Thanks for this, mgrande! Snagged.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
mgrande
mgrande began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Num Label Comments

Depending on how you use your kindle, you may or may not find yourself using lots of numbers. I use them all the time, which is why this lack of numbers over the top row became very annoying. Sure, you can count keys, but that slows things down. In theory we could get rid of all of the function key names, for example, on our home keyboards and just count starting at F1, but that is just not user-friendly. It's an issue of user-friendliness. Amazon dropped that ball on that front with the number keys.

I am more of a studier than a reader. I put technical docs and lots of pdf files on my kindle. pdf docs do not link correctly, and all you have to jump around between the pages is using page numbers. Counting keys in this case becomes very annoying.

As for other solutions, such as a sharpie or an etcher, yes they can be done. The problem with the sharpie solution is that it's not a polished solution. I didn't like the idea of my bad handwriting on the top row. It just looks bad. Etching is even more scary. One slip of the etch and it's aesthetically ruined.

These number labels are printed in the same or very similar font than the other keys. The color matching is close, so it has a more polished look than some of the other makeshift solutions.

One trick to applying the cutout label is not to stretch it too much since the sticker does stretch a little. If you do that, then the numbers line up perfectly. I've got one on mine and my wife's kindle, and it has resolved one of my main complaints of the K3.

Last edited by mgrande; 02-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
mgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #26
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Buy for only 99 cents Easy Calculator from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Calculato...8327308&sr=1-1

When you open it, it shows all the numbers associated with the top row of letters in large fonts. Do a few calculations and you will have memorized it. When using numbers without the Calculator active, just use the <ALT> key with the letter.

That calculator is great to have anyway just in case you need it. All functions work fine except for the Exponent function.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-21-2011 at 05:33 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote